carat
color
clarity

Brainstorming Pricescope's Photography Comparison Project

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Brainstorming Pricescope's Photography Comparison Projec

I think it's a super cool idea- thanks for posting it Kenny.
As much as I'd love to, I don't think my methods will allow me to participate.
My philosophy is that each type of stone- and within that category, each specific example poses challenges that, in many cases, requires different techniques of lighting, background and camera- subject relationship.
Some stones are simply uncooperative. Period.
I don't know about anyone else, but capturing emeralds is a BEE-ACHE.
I'm referring to stones I consider more "African", having more transparency than Colombian emeralds which may tend to be more opaque and clouded
They may look amazing, and have great life in person- but in pictures they look dull.
I've never found any workable non photoshop solution to this- Rubies are very similar in this regard. Stones that are bright red in person photograph dull
But the point is, with other stones, such as Garnet, Zircon, Tourmaline Blue and Pink Sapphires, varying the methods of photography based on the color and optical characteristics of the subject can serve the same purpose as using photoshop.
If the intent is to most accurately capture the subject, I suppose both methods are valid- but I personally dislike looking at manipulated photos with photoshop type software.

I will be very interested in watching the results!

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Please discuss and let us know if you'd like us to pin this thread at the top of the forum, generally those threads don't actually get more views as "old" PS members overlook them particularly in this forum where there are already four pinned threads. But we can if you would like.

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock

This is such a great and (potentially vastly) helpful idea!

Since there was recently a thread discussing the difficulty of photographing Winza sapphires, I think a Winza could be a great choice-- big color shifters, and I wonder if they are more sensitive to latitude differences in light, compared to other stones? I also think, depending on the color(s), they are a more inexpensive choice than many (like, for example, Alexandrite). Another color shifter could work too, but I think it's a good idea to have at least one color-shifter (and/ or color changer?) if possible.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Winza to volunteer. I do have a very pale, de-saturated pastel Umba sapphire that shifts between blue and pink. I wanted to set it a long time ago, but the vendor I wanted stopped accepting outside stones and I haven't found any other ideas I love for a cut-corner trillion. Since the color is so light, I'm not sure it would be very interesting for vendors to photograph, but I'm willing to send it if there's interest. Oh, and it's 5.5 mm across, so it's probably too small to be easily handled. All the same, the offer stands because I love this idea, and I want to show support. :)

kgrhqzjie3r-3ml2bopdbb8q0_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is understandable from a vendor's perspective of how a vendor felt attacked recently that many would rather not participate in this survey. The only way to get word out is to reach out to your favourite vendors and lapidaries and explain the intent. I know that most of us here are excited about this project and have only good intentions.

Participating vendors thus far:
Gene of Precision Gems
Dana of Mastercut Gems
Jeff aka Alnitak
Am I missing anyone else?

David,
I hope to influence you to change your mind about not participating. I think it will be interesting to understand your idea of "beauty" and what you opt to highlight. We know that there is no one "true way" or only one "right method" of photography and that each gem type may require a different set of setup given that they have different properties and behaviour. As suggested, there will be a range of gems, hopefully those that aren't expensive or too challenging. After all, how many of us buy/photography emeralds and rubies on a regular basis? :tongue:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

So far I have only heard back from Dana and Jeff.

I have asked each to use one stone that they already have on the site, and then if they desire another stone. It doesn't really matter what kind of stone, the idea is to get a feel for the photographic results

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock

It would be really helpful if those participating could use stones in the primary/secondary color range. This would help address the issue that has been discussed regarding differences in sensor perception, such as blue perception and hue replication. Maybe with a color-shifter too as has been suggested throughout this thread? :?:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gene,
Any news as to how things are progressing...or not. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results