shape
carat
color
clarity

PrecisionGem Concave Pair: Tourmaline and Spessartite Garnet

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock
Hi All :wavey:

Tealish Tourmaline and Orange Spess from Gene. Think the tourmaline is around 3 and spess around 1.5. Both are pretty great and vibrant stones with the concave facets.

Hope you enjoy the pictures! As always, comments welcomed - tried to stay studio and macro focused for this one. Also added a few more PS tweaked ones - as comments were positive from the last thread.

Original Pictures:

Gene2.jpg
GEneAmigos1.jpg
Gene3.jpg
GeneAmigos2.jpg
GeneAmigos3.jpg
GeneAmingos5.jpg
GenePair1.jpg
GEneSpess3.jpg
GeneSPess1.jpg
GeneSpess2.jpg
GeneTBottom.jpg
GeneTBack1.jpg
GEneTourm2.jpg
TourmOnRed.jpg
GeneTourmBright.jpg

Photoshopped:

Gene4%20copy3%20Edits.jpg
GeneAmigos2%20e.jpg
GEneAmigos1%20E.jpg
GeneAmigos3%20e.jpg
GeneAmingos5%20E.jpg
GenePair1%20Drawn.jpg
GeneSPess1%20toon.jpg
GeneSpess2%20e.jpg
GEneSpess3E.jpg
GEneSpess3%20Oil.jpg
GeneTBack1%20E.jpg
GeneTBottom%20E.jpg
GeneTourmBright%20WC.jpg
GEneTourm2E.jpg

Still have many more to go through, but trying to get a set out a week. Any preference on future styles?

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Re: PrecisionGem Concave Pair: Tourmaline and Spessartite Ga

The stones are beautiful, - great color and sparkle – and the photos are wonderful too! Love the creative shots.

Not to threadjack, but how do you add so many photos on one post? I thought it limited to four photos at a time, so I always end up having to post twice or more. Or should I start a new thread asking about that? :wavey: thank you! And thanks for sharing your photos!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

makes me "hungry" for a redder spess!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful & gorgeous photography, RT. Must have taken you a lot lot of time! I'm crazy about the delicate color & beauteous cutting of the tourm!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous in every way! I do have a few questions though:
1. Is it a red spessartite, rather than the usual orange?
2. The tourmaline looks light, almost like a slightly bluish green diamond?
3. How did you create the honeycomb background?
4. You actually balanced the two stones table atop table?
5. How did you make the tourmaline show multicolour fire?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

I love the photo of the stones on top of each other :bigsmile:

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1395922219|3642204 said:
5. How did you make the tourmaline show multicolour fire?

photoshop :)

I love that tourmaline- the color seems delicate but it has so much life. :)

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful photography for such beautiful stones, particularly the tourmaline - love the delicate color!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awesome! It was fun looking through those!

RTFrog

Shiny_Rock

GemandJewelrylover: Thanks, always trying something different. As far as uploading the pictures, I've had more success reducing the size of each one and stacking them. Before that, when uploading huge files - I had difficulty/limits with them. Perhaps the file size is preventing you from attaching more? Maybe you could try reducing either the amount of pixels or cropping down to 400 x 400 and see if that works? Maybe try and then hit preview to see if there's a limit - and compare it to large and small images, if it makes any difference.

MZ: Agreed, I was hesitant at first but thought a red secondary/primary would be cool.

JF: Thanks, Laurie! I received the spess first - so I wanted to try another concave and wow. That unusual, light/pastel of the Tourm is really nice.

Chrono:
1. Definitely has some red to it. I've included a picture below between a red and orange pipe cleaner. Also a picture with fluro lighting to show the difference with a truer orange Spess.
2. Very unsaturated, and yes can see the bluish/green/yellowish diamond hue to it. Almost a "sprite" color. Add in the bright concave facets and bam.
3. I used a grid generator with hexagons. There's discussion here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3603631 Scripts here: http://scriptographer.org/scripts/general-scripts/grid-generator/ and a filter/App called Kyoobik that can also create the effect. It was a free iPhone App download for awhile ago.
4. Yup. More photos below. Talk about sensitive, when the Spess fell off it created that unique effect for the Tourm.
5. Leaving the top of the photo area open with sunlight hitting it just right. I brought out the colors in PS, and was surprised by the amount of vibrant/ambient light that came out. The original, unedited photo, is included below. I'm including a few more I tried to replicate, although the sun is in a different position currently.

3a. Here's a half size of that image: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/358458451563547034/ I haven't had a chance to upload new stuff on there lately.

LK: Thank you - the size of the Tourm helped. More below.

DJ: PS really brought out those colors, was a nice surprise. The color is very delicate and just enough, without being too under saturated. Makes a pretty nice stone in all lighting.

ES: Thank you!

ILGS: Thanks! Hope to do more soon.

From the balance shoot:
Balance1.jpg
Balance2.jpg
Balance3.jpg
Why do you have to fall? :angryfire:
Balance4.jpg
Balance5.jpg

Color Comparison
Comp2.jpg
Comp1.jpg
With Pipecleaners
Redororange1.jpg

Rainbow effect - without PS.
Gene4.jpg
RainbowEffect1.jpg
RE2.jpg
Re3.jpg
RE4.jpg

RedSpinel

Shiny_Rock

I did enjoy the pics! The Spessartite is a nice, not too dark red-ish color, and both stones are cut very well. No windows here! I always wanted a red garnet that isnt too dark with the black facet faces. You probably have to buy a Spessartite to get that, although I am sure of you look hard and long enough you could find an Almandine or Pyrope that isnt too dark. But the Spessartite color red is nicer...

Kelli

Ideal_Rock

They're both beautiful but that garnet is spectacular!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results