shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring - Suggestions/help needed!

Maroite

Rough_Rock
Hi,

New to the forums but I've been reading through them for a couple days ago. I'm preparing to propose to the love of my life this coming December and so am trying to do some ring shopping now. Unfortunately I'm serving overseas in an area that jewelers (quality at least) are probably non existent. There in lies the largest problem I'm having. I won't be back to civilization before Dec so we won't have time to really look before the date I'd like to make the proposal. We have discussed the type of ring she wants and now I'm hunting the internet for ways to get the best I can without physically seeing the stones/rings.

I've looked at a lot of sites, like The Natural Sapphire Company, but after coming here got a little weary. I then started looking at sites I saw in other posts such as Gemfix and got to thinking - is it possible to buy a gem and send it to a jeweler to be set and then have that jeweler send it me?

The ring she has expressed wanting is a three stone ring with a sapphire center stone flanked by two diamonds or white sapphires. She prefers the darker sapphires much like the one in the following link second one down on the left hand side. (blue_sapphire_1098)

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

What I'm hoping to gain is a little guidance in how I should proceed provided my limited availability to work in person with a jeweler, possible sites that others have had experience working with sending or buying gems through and having them set the gem and then shipping the completed piece to you.

The setting I was looking at is a matching pair or something similar to this:

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/sapphire-settings/c-24-ring-settings/p-45518-14k-white-gold-ring-setting-js946w14/

Thanks and this site has been a fount of knowledge for someone diving into the realm of jewelry!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, and welcome! It might be easier to do a one-stop shop, maybe someone like Jeff Davies, or Julia B on Etsy, or Greenlake jewellers, that can source the stones and be able to set them. Some of the cutters are willing to ship to a third party, like a jeweller, but some aren't (Gemfix won't). Others with more experience in this area can chime in, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your post, it seems like you have to purchase sight unseen and have the setting commissioned or purchased also sight unseen. In doing so, you are accepting the risk that the stone may not be exactly what you had in mind and would have no recourse in returning the stone and setting for a full refund. Am I interpreting this correctly? Gemstones are shifty fickle little things and sapphires love to become either more purple or grayer indoors. Some more so than others. Some do not match up to the pictures (undetected zoning, inclusion, extinction, windowing, or other undetected issues). Because of these, I am concerned about your long term happiness with buying sight unseen and with no option to return the stone+setting.

To answer your question:
1. Yes, it is possible to purchase a gem, have it sent to a jeweller to be set, then sent to you. Not all vendors are open to this but most are.
2. Not knowing your budget, I do not know whether it is feasible to purchase a quality sapphire and have it set in a 3 stone setting. I highly discourage white sapphire sidestones for an e-ring. The difference in appearance between side diamonds and white sapphires will be obvious.

I have purchased stones separately (although I have looked at the gem before sending it off to the jeweller), sent it off to be set, then had it sent back to me. All my settings were not made locally to me.

Maroite

Rough_Rock
NKOTB|1395694529|3640592 said:
Hi, and welcome! It might be easier to do a one-stop shop, maybe someone like Jeff Davies, or Julia B on Etsy, or Greenlake jewellers, that can source the stones and be able to set them. Some of the cutters are willing to ship to a third party, like a jeweller, but some aren't (Gemfix won't). Others with more experience in this area can chime in, though.

NKOTB - Thanks for the information! I've taken a look at the sites and will send out some emails to see if maybe one of you suggested jewelers have any ideas for me.

Chrono|1395751046|3640959 said:
From your post, it seems like you have to purchase sight unseen and have the setting commissioned or purchased also sight unseen. In doing so, you are accepting the risk that the stone may not be exactly what you had in mind and would have no recourse in returning the stone and setting for a full refund. Am I interpreting this correctly? Gemstones are shifty fickle little things and sapphires love to become either more purple or grayer indoors. Some more so than others. Some do not match up to the pictures (undetected zoning, inclusion, extinction, windowing, or other undetected issues). Because of these, I am concerned about your long term happiness with buying sight unseen and with no option to return the stone+setting.

To answer your question:
1. Yes, it is possible to purchase a gem, have it sent to a jeweller to be set, then sent to you. Not all vendors are open to this but most are.
2. Not knowing your budget, I do not know whether it is feasible to purchase a quality sapphire and have it set in a 3 stone setting. I highly discourage white sapphire sidestones for an e-ring. The difference in appearance between side diamonds and white sapphires will be obvious.

I have purchased stones separately (although I have looked at the gem before sending it off to the jeweller), sent it off to be set, then had it sent back to me. All my settings were not made locally to me.

Chrono - Thank you for your reply and yes you pretty much are understanding what situation I'm in atm. I will pretty much be buying site unseen unless we decide to do shopping in December but even then my time will be limited and I'm not sure I'll be able to be as thorough as I'd like in that short amount of time. She is actually fine with some of the rings listed on websites such as BrilliantEarth and other big sites but I'm worried about the certification of the gem and the quality.

My budget is around $5000 which I'm not even sure if thats feesible for what I want. I'm looking for a stone around 1-1.5 cts. For the setting she's expressed a desire for white gold (14k). The diamonds, although important, are not as important as the sapphire to me. The sapphire on Gemfix's site that she likes is ~$1800.00 which with my budget would leave me with $3200.00 for the setting/diamonds.

That being said I am completely new to the realm of jewelry and gems - so I really don't know what to expect for $5000.

Thanks for your help though! Its much appreciated!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are not in the US and the stone has to be sent off to a 3rd party for setting, I would inquire with GemFix whether they will sell the sapphire to you. They have a strict policy of not selling anything worth over $1K to anyone outside of the US. Let me see what else I can find for you. Do you have any import or VAT tax consideration?

Sapphire
Budget for sapphire = $2K
Colour = medium dark, almost pure blue?
Size = minimum of 6 mm (1 ct to 1.5 ct)?
Shape = round only?
Treatment = heated is acceptable?

Setting
Budget for setting and band = $3K?
Metal = White gold (no allergies to nickle?)
Setting type = 5 stone for the e-ring and something with accents for the band?

Maroite

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1395923298|3642217 said:
Since you are not in the US and the stone has to be sent off to a 3rd party for setting, I would inquire with GemFix whether they will sell the sapphire to you. They have a strict policy of not selling anything worth over $1K to anyone outside of the US. Let me see what else I can find for you. Do you have any import or VAT tax consideration?

Sapphire
Budget for sapphire = $2K
Colour = medium dark, almost pure blue?
Size = minimum of 6 mm (1 ct to 1.5 ct)?
Shape = round only?
Treatment = heated is acceptable?

Setting
Budget for setting and band = $3K?
Metal = White gold (no allergies to nickle?)
Setting type = 5 stone for the e-ring and something with accents for the band?

I actually work for the United States Dept. of State. So I have a physical address in the United States as well as a DPO address.

Sapphire -
Colour - Yep medium dark/almost pure blue (Fiancée really likes the rich, vivid blue sapphires)
Shape - Round or Oval preferred
Treatment - I'm not sure if there is a preference? Heat treatment is normal and different from other treatments correct?

Setting -
Metal - No allergies that I know of. Is nickle used in White Gold?
Setting - The ring on BrilliantEarth is I believe a 5 stone setting (1 sapphire and 4 small diamonds) So yes, but three stones would be fine. And accents on the matching band.

Thank you for all your assistance!

Also $5000 is the limit she kind of set for me... if I go a little over and she doesn't find out there is no harm done! haha

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly recommend that you double check with Gemfix before we consider the sapphires he has in inventory. Andrew has refused to mail a stone directly to a jeweller for setting when the buyer is outside the US.

Heat only treatment is generally accepted by the trade and most consumers. The treatment is stable and permanent.
Nickle is used in most white gold alloys.

In case the Gemfix situation does not work out, here are other potential options.

You will have to call for pricing and additional pictures.
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphirebluerd1_72ct_7994-2
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_54ct

I'd like to know where the healed fracture on the crown is.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6947

Might be a bit too light, too large and over budget (2.04 ct oval).
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Email to find out what is available
http://www.escobardiamonds.com

Maroite

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1395930515|3642269 said:
I strongly recommend that you double check with Gemfix before we consider the sapphires he has in inventory. Andrew has refused to mail a stone directly to a jeweller for setting when the buyer is outside the US.

Heat only treatment is generally accepted by the trade and most consumers. The treatment is stable and permanent.
Nickle is used in most white gold alloys.

In case the Gemfix situation does not work out, here are other potential options.

You will have to call for pricing and additional pictures.
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphirebluerd1_72ct_7994-2
http://www.spectralgems.net/sapphire/sapphireblueoval1_54ct

I'd like to know where the healed fracture on the crown is.
http://mastercutgems.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=6947

Might be a bit too light, too large and over budget (2.04 ct oval).
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Email to find out what is available
http://www.escobardiamonds.com

I've sent an email over to Gemfix to see what they can do for me. I will take a look at those sites you've posted now.

Thanks again!

Maroite

Rough_Rock
Took a look at the gems you posted - the first one looks like it could be a potential. My fiancée's ring size is 6.5 as of a few weeks ago. I've also reached out to most of the other sites to ask about their gems. Hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I also got an email back from Gemfix - they said they could send to a jeweler but the jeweler would have to actually order the sapphire. They told me the concerns about the process of sending a gem off to a jeweler and its warranted. I can understand when dealing with that much money how it could turn into a problem but I also believe it depends on the jewelers moral compass.

So from here I guess its find a jeweler willing to purchase the sapphire and then be reimbursed or try somewhere else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results