shape
carat
color
clarity

D FL/IF worth it?

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
AprilBaby|1395856109|3641771 said:
If money were no object, yes I would get a perfect stone. BUT: someone mentioned on here in the last week a IF stone turns into a lower clarity as soon as it goes out the door. Appraise it after a year of wear and it won't be IF any more. So I guess no, I wouldn't.

WHAT ?!? :shock: Is that true ? Is that like "when you drive a car off the lot you just lost xx dollars " or somehow through use it becomes more flawed ? Sorry, I'm a newbie and I found that super confusing ! Thanks !

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Merefrank|1395873771|3641938 said:
AprilBaby|1395856109|3641771 said:
If money were no object, yes I would get a perfect stone. BUT: someone mentioned on here in the last week a IF stone turns into a lower clarity as soon as it goes out the door. Appraise it after a year of wear and it won't be IF any more. So I guess no, I wouldn't.

WHAT ?!? :shock: Is that true ? Is that like "when you drive a car off the lot you just lost xx dollars " or somehow through use it becomes more flawed ? Sorry, I'm a newbie and I found that super confusing ! Thanks !

IF means internally flawless at 10X magnification (maybe not at 20 or 30 or greater, only 10X). Once you set it, or bang it or hit it on something, you'd certainly have some small chance of an exterior blemish on it. I guess depending on how many and how bad could lower the clarity grade if it were regraded???? Not sure, I'll wait to see if someone with better understanding of grading chimes in.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly that. If it's totally flawless and you wear it for a year, chances are good it's no longer totally flawless from everyday wear and tear. It may not go down much, but it's not flawless.

Merefrank

Rough_Rock
Thank you both so much for answering, that's fascinating !

As for the OP's question,Since my e-ring is just .50 and is an icy F, MY next step would be to go down in color and BIGGER ! :lickout:

It's just fun to talk about it with others who share your interests ! Let us know what you're leaning towards.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember this topic being discussed from years ago and the late Rockdoc, an appraiser who was an expert on the forum, said
when others were writing about the diamond no longer being Flawless, perhaps due to just the setting of the stone, which he
agreed could happen. He added though that this was not the way to think of it because due to the diamond having perfect crystal, it meant it could be repolished and achieve it's flawless status once more, whereas he said a for instance vvs1 with internal inclusion
could never achieve that Flawless grade.
Others agreed with this. In the real world though, would you ever repolish it unless it was a major diamond and going to be
resold? However this is a mark of a quality diamond with pure crystal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results