shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you with this kind of cut? Warning: Gross pics!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night I was chopping tomatoes and missed.
Sliced some thumb skin clean off.

It took maybe 30 minutes to stop bleeding.
Applying pressure didn't stop the bleeding, but holding my hand over my head finally did.
I applied Neosporin (jelly w anti-bacterial gunk) and bandaged it overnight.

It is not bleeding now, but it's not really a scab, just a plastic-looking surface that is probably very fragile.

Would you put Neosporin back on and bandage it up?
Would you leave it open to breath?
Other?

Are those dark red spots around the edge of the wound severed blood vessels?

0a12.png

0a13.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Re: What would you with this kind of cut? Warning: Gross pic

Ouch! Sorry, Kenny. I would keep it covered a while longer. Also, just FYI - most doctors don't recommend the use of Neosporin any more (despite its popularity) because over time, a person can develop a contact dermatitis (allergy-like) reaction to it. You are better off using just a generic bacitracin. Hope it heals quickly for you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh so sorry Kenny. I just sliced and diced my finger, had to get two stitches. Really thought I could do steri strips and be done. I took the stiches out because I couldn't get an appointment till today and today is 2 weeks. She was like well you did a great job... I felt like I wasted her time but did get a tetnas shot.

For me neosporin for two days. When you take band aide off, rinse with peroxide... Then dry and put on band aide...
To me keeping it dry and clean is key....

More neosporin doesn't heal faster....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

day time what everyone else suggested.
and for the first night or two as well.
then I'd leave it uncovered at night to "air"....but covered during the day to avoid re-injury to the area.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hear real macho men use superglue. :lol:

How do real women feel about superglue?

Fortunately there's no pain since it was a very sharp Japanese knife … Thanks TristanC wherever you are. :wavey:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

I've done that once (probably twice, maybe three times) before.

As others have suggested, I would keep it covered for at least a couple of days - mostly because it hurts like a son of a gun whenever you use your finger - keep it clean, use a neosporin type of cream and change the bandaid 2-3 times a day depending on what you're doing. I'm not sure I would 'air' it for the first few days, it hurts too much and it's easy to re-injure during sleep.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1395784074|3641255 said:
I hear real macho men use superglue. :lol:

How do real women feel about superglue?

Fortunately there's no pain since it was a very sharp Japanese knife … Thanks TristanC wherever you are. :wavey:

I was going to mention superglue lol! I've used it on bad finger cuts a few times.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I use a liquid bandaid which is like superglue but more antiseptic for cuts. However don't use that on such a deep wound. And definitely keep it covered. Read the link because you don't want to "air" it out till it has healed. And don't rinse with peroxide.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I agree with missy - skip the peroxide. It can actually harm tissue and delay the healing process.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I did almost exactly the same thing a few months ago, only with a dull bottle opener (don't ask), and the flap of skin was still attached at, oh, 1/6th of its circumference.

My husband actually *did* make me go to a do when it was still bleeding on the third day (sporadically, but, still), and his advice was to keep doing what I'd been doing ... namely, neosporin and a bandaid until it didn't look quite so angry and/or about to fall off.

The skin re-attached. I felt sort of like a anole, but in reverse ....

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would have super glued it if the flap hadn't come off. I can't tell you how many times I have cut a finger to almost the bone, and used super glue on it. It works like a charm and really keeps the pain down as well.

For your cut, I would probably keep a band-aid on it for a couple days until the skin toughens up a bit.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock

A ton of Polysporin and bandaids.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

tropical antibiotic and keep it covered for 3 days.
Then cover it when doing something that might rub against it until healed.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I HATE cuts! It kept me from going to nursing school. Once it's open I'm ok, it's just the "cut process" that grosses me out.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

No peroxide - search peroxide & wounds. So sorry Ken, feel better. Tylenol or motrin if it is really painful.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kenny, did you happen to keep the cut off piece of tissue? You could add that to your compost pile, or incinerate it and maybe use it as a teeny tiny fraction towards any possible heating bill next year...
:bigsmile:
Kidding. It looks like it will likely heal without too much intervention. Here's hoping you make it through the next few days of healing. Stay hydrated and stay off the piano.

ETA: superglue does work in some cases. I used to sell knives and nursed a few salesguys' superfluous cuts (and several customer's) with glue. There were even several faintings. Poor things.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

super glue should not be used on this type of cut there is nothing to hold together and it will delay healing.
super glue should only be used to hold a cut closed.

Agree on the peroxide but to be honest if I had been cutting something high risk like raw chicken I would consider using it once when it first happens to get as much gunk out as possible.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395803569|3641471 said:
Kenny, did you happen to keep the cut off piece of tissue? You could add that to your compost pile, or incinerate it and maybe use it as a teeny tiny fraction towards any possible heating bill next year...
Kidding. It looks like it will likely heal without too much intervention. Here's hoping you make it through the next few days of healing. Stay hydrated and stay off the piano.

ETA: superglue does work in some cases. I used to sell knives and nursed a few salesguys' superfluous cuts (and several customer's) with glue. There were even several faintings. Poor things.

Actually that piece of Kenny went into the lentil soup.
Yum Yum.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kaleigh|1395783511|3641245 said:
Oh so sorry Kenny. I just sliced and diced my finger, had to get two stitches. Really thought I could do steri strips and be done. I took the stiches out because I couldn't get an appointment till today and today is 2 weeks. She was like well you did a great job... I felt like I wasted her time but did get a tetnas shot.

For me neosporin for two days. When you take band aide off, rinse with peroxide... Then dry and put on band aide...
To me keeping it dry and clean is key....

More neosporin doesn't heal faster....

I dumped the tomatoes into the pot, washed my cut with soap and water, poured some 3% HP on it then went to the bathroom to get steri-strips.
But there was nothing to tape closed. :knockout:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do what you've been doing, and see a doctor right away if you see any sign of infection. Infections in the "spongy" part of any finger can get very tricky very quickly.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

After reading all of this, I think your injury will heal just fine, and your neighbors will think your tomato sauce has that "extra something" no one can quite put their finger on. Well done!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

JEEZ man I thought you meant a wacky diamond cut and used "gross" for humour!! :rodent: :-o Not what I needed to see now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dreamer_D|1395806775|3641491 said:
JEEZ man I thought you meant a wacky diamond cut and used "gross" for humour!! :rodent: :-o Not what I needed to see now!

:mrgreen:

Yes, the cut is so good the IS image is solid blood-red. ;-)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock

I always use Neosporin and band-aids. I never had any dermatitis from Neosporin. Then at the right time when healing has progressed for a few days, I know when to keep the band-aid off and let air help its healing. Still applying Neosporin while it's still raw. Being careful not to bump the wound on things, and taking a shower with the hand raised above and in front of you so water doesn't hit it.
Then eventually sleeping with it open to the air, with band-aid on it during the day to prevent bumping, eventually the damn thing heals.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I would put pure honey on it, helps heal it.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Sky56|1395819624|3641546 said:
I always use Neosporin and band-aids. I never had any dermatitis from Neosporin. Then at the right time when healing has progressed for a few days, I know when to keep the band-aid off and let air help its healing. Still applying Neosporin while it's still raw. Being careful not to bump the wound on things, and taking a shower with the hand raised above and in front of you so water doesn't hit it.
Then eventually sleeping with it open to the air, with band-aid on it during the day to prevent bumping, eventually the damn thing heals.

Not everyone gets an allergic reaction to Neosporin, but it's significant enough that most hospitals, doctor's offices, etc. no longer use it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

lknvrb4|1395830502|3641563 said:
I would put pure honey on it, helps heal it.

That is a good way to get one heck of an infection.

did some research.
Only some kinds of honey work and it needs to irradiated to kill bugs.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686636/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results