shape
carat
color
clarity

Just felt an earthquake here in LA

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing fell down, and not terribly strong, but very very noticeable.
It was a jolt then a second or two of rumbling/rocking/rolling.

I hate these things.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you're OK. Earthquakes are scary. Any kind. My aunt and uncle used to live in Carmel for many years and loved it but the reason they eventually moved was the constant tremors. My aunt just couldn't get used to it.

Kenny do you know if it is true that San Diego doesn't experience earthquakes? A friend told me they are outside the earthquake zone...sounds too good to be true and I was just wondering. Thanks.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the LA area, too, and didn't feel a thing! I must not be sensitive to it. I slept through the one we had last week.

Missy, I've never heard that about San Diego.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks KaeKae. It sounded too good to be true. I love the weather and am an outdoor girl at heart so it might be too tempting if it were true haha.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I would freak out if I felt a big earthquake in this country. I was traumatized by the great Hanshin earthquake. There are possibilities that earthquakes hit the West Coast in the neat future. I wonder how we'd deal with them. Are there many earthquake proof buildings in CA?

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny I'm a few miles from downtown and I didn't feel anything. But I almost jumped out of my pants with last weeks jolt. I'm so paranoid about my kids safety, I ran down to their rooms and they are super sound sleepers but were woken up by the shaking. I'm also extremely concerned about my mom ,who lives in a beach community, her area can be prone to liquifaction and obviously tsunamis.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
missy|1395699026|3640634 said:
Glad you're OK. Earthquakes are scary. Any kind. My aunt and uncle used to live in Carmel for many years and loved it but the reason they eventually moved was the constant tremors. My aunt just couldn't get used to it.

Kenny do you know if it is true that San Diego doesn't experience earthquakes? A friend told me they are outside the earthquake zone...sounds too good to be true and I was just wondering. Thanks.

Ehhhh not sure what your friend was talking about but we definitely get them here in San Diego??? We haven't had a BIG one in a while... but a lot of places haven't had a BIG one in a while. But I feel them at least a couple times a year.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Sakuracherry said:
I would freak out if I felt a big earthquake in this country. I was traumatized by the great Hanshin earthquake. There are possibilities that earthquakes hit the West Coast in the neat future. I wonder how we'd deal with them. Are there many earthquake proof buildings in CA?

A lot of buildings in downtown LA were retrofitted after the Northridge quake, but not all.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I felt two earthquakes in Chicago in the last three years. Strange. Forecasters keep saying California is overdue for a big one!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I was around for the Coalinga quake. Definitely scary, the ground felt like wiggling jello and the rumbling sound was so loud!

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
I'm in LA didn't feel a thing. Just looked at my Quake App (yes there are many) and nothing over 2.8 for today. However, its been a while, we are due for a big one. The Newport-Inglewood Fault is overdue. The last time was in 1933 and it strikes about every 100 years or so, give or take a few decades. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1395711523|3640741 said:

Ehhhh not sure what your friend was talking about but we definitely get them here in San Diego??? We haven't had a BIG one in a while... but a lot of places haven't had a BIG one in a while. But I feel them at least a couple times a year.

Thanks sonnyjane. I am disappointed because it's been a dream of mine to move to San Diego one day if we could ever afford to retire there (which is doubtful anyway) and even though we get our fair share of natural disasters here (including very very mild earthquakes one of which I totally felt and it was freaky) that would be something to give me pause. That or moving to Malibu on the water. That would be another dream. Excuse the mini threadjack. It's just perfect weather is a true dream to me. :sun:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
missy|1395745306|3640920 said:

Thanks sonnyjane. I am disappointed because it's been a dream of mine to move to San Diego one day if we could ever afford to retire there (which is doubtful anyway) and even though we get our fair share of natural disasters here (including very very mild earthquakes one of which I totally felt and it was freaky) that would be something to give me pause. That or moving to Malibu on the water. That would be another dream. Excuse the mini threadjack. It's just perfect weather is a true dream to me. :sun:

It's 55 and drizzling so not PERFECT. It's good most of the time though lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1395763711|3641049 said:
missy|1395745306|3640920 said:

It's 55 and drizzling so not PERFECT. It's good most of the time though lol.

I'll take that any day of the winter/early spring for sure...sounds like heaven lol. We are supposed to be getting snow here soon. That's right, snow. :o

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results