shape
carat
color
clarity

do you have any BLUE IOLITE jewelry?

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
i would love to see photos :appl: i have never seen blue iolite except on the internet.if you have any blue iolite jewelry/stones can you please tell me if they have a medium "sapphire" blue color? (not pale not too dark)

thank you :)

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hope you get a lot of responses. I just saw an iolite ring (online, not in person) and now I'm obsessed with it.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I bought blue iolite earrings for my niece as a graduation gift a few years ago.
They were really unique and beautiful. To me, a medium tone with a violet or purple cast. They were stunning with her green eyes, but I have no pics - sorry.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
My sister has a blue David Yurman pendant, but no pics. I found these earrings, however, that are the same design. I am not a fan of iolite, but I have to say that it looks very rich in yellow gold.

davidyurman_earringsiolite.jpg

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
what do you think about this iolite stone?

__3ilo.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I think I see a little colour zoning but it's uncommonly vivid for iolite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour looks nice but I dislike the fuzziness in the middle which I suspect hides a windowing issue.

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
LoversKites|1394287338|3629955 said:
I think I see a little colour zoning but it's uncommonly vivid for iolite.
thank you for the reply. :)

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1394454417|3630939 said:
Colour looks nice but I dislike the fuzziness in the middle which I suspect hides a windowing issue.
thank you. i have been thinking about buying a blue stone. iolite and hauynite are out of the list now.iolite seems to contain gray color which i don't like even though the stones are cheap. hauynite, i LOVE the blue color but i cant find anything over 0.20 carat

now my options are tanzanite and sapphire..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good blues that checks all the boxes (untreated, durable, decent RI, etc) are expensive, aren't they?

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1394458036|3630963 said:
Good blues that checks all the boxes (untreated, durable, decent RI, etc) are expensive, aren't they?

yes:) but, here in Sri Lanka, i can get a sapphire for less. ;))

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I no longer have any iolite jewelry but I've had some in the past. It has a very pretty blue to blue violet color. What I didn't like about it was from the side it had some very dark grayish brownish undertones. I didn't sell the jewelry because of the gem or color, just because I didn't really like the style of jewelry anymore.

InToTheMystic

Shiny_Rock
I have some modest little Iolite pear dangle earrings. I was actually after something with a bit of violet/grey in it to match another necklace I had, so these were perfect. A bright blue just wouldn't have worked for me.

They do change colour from the sides, but it is only noticeable if you squint at them from up close. And they were way WAY cheaper than sapphires would have been :)

iolite_pears.jpg

gayani1

Shiny_Rock
what do you think about Blue Kyanite? in my search of the "perfect blue" i have seen some pics on ebay and think they are nice. what do you think ? :)

__17.jpg

estelle

Rough_Rock
Kyanite is beautiful, but very soft.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
estelle said:
Kyanite is beautiful, but very soft.

I wouldn't say it's very soft, it's about 5.5-7 on moh's scale depending on the part of the crystal.

Not a good idea to put it in a ring.

Finewater has a lovely kyanite up for sale.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, kyanite is beautiful but soft. It's best for pendants, earrings and the like. It is only MOH 4 along the length of the crystal but 7.5 MOH across the crystal. It also has perfect cleavage in one direction so one hit in the wrong place and the stone is done.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results