shape
carat
color
clarity

Unhappy Brian Gavin customer (international buyers read)

tinataitlyn

Rough_Rock
So my DH decided to surprise me with an a beautiful proposal in the Amalfi Coast and an engagement ring, the only problem was he bought me the exact opposite of what I wanted and it was too big. He claims he did "tons" of research and i'm assuming he came here since he purchased from it from Brian Gavin because of all the amazing reviews. I know i'm probably going to shit for this but I honestly do not see the hype about BGD my ring doesn't "sparkle" more than any of my friends, I've compared my ring with two other girlfriends were recently engaged too and my "better cut diamond" doesn't look "better" or gives the WOW appeal (in fact I am the only one out of the three who hasn't gotten a WOW compliment from our friends which makes me super sad) and the customer service wasn't top notch in my opinion.

I felt that BGD nickeled and dimed us while most company online offer free shipping (domestically and internationally) they charged him $105 to ship internationally. It was the wrong size so we had to pay $75 to resize it plus the shipping which was another $65, probably would have been another $105, but luckily I was in the states at the time so it saved us $40. I didn't like the setting and we tried contacting them for a custom setting however when they aren't able to do even remotely close to what I wanted which kind of defeats the purpose of a "custom" setting, another disappointment. I only got a chance to deal with Lesley who was professional but cold, never once did I feel like she went above and beyond to make me want to purchase them again or recommend them. It was pretty much a this is what we can do for you if you don't want it too bad attitude.

While my friends rave about the awesome experience they had with purchasing their e-ring and how so and so did this and that for them I can't say the same about mines. Overall I am just disappointed by the whole experience and hate that something that's suppose to bring us closer is actually doing the complete opposite, we fight so much about the e-ring that it's just sad.

We've paid for over $10,000 for a engagement ring that I hate and don't wear thanks Brian Gavin!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is unfair. One of you chose a stone and apparently settled for a setting you don't like. I fail to see where this is Brian Gavin's fault. Sounds like this is more a matter of miscommunication between you and your boyfriend. I am sorry that you are so unhappy with your ering but I think you have options to exercise here to make it more to your liking.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of rings did they get? If all are modern super-ideal H&A cuts, it would be normal for all of them to look great and rather equivalent to each other. That is one of the things that makes modern colorless or near-colorless H&A RBs easy to buy online. There is less variation in them, so less of the "it needs to be seen" issue. Cushions, fancy cuts, warmer colors, lower clarities, old cuts like Old European Cut and Old Mine Cut, and those European Cuts with the low crown angle and huge table: Those have have more variation from stone to stone, and have to be evaluated in person or at least in a good detailed video.

I don't think there's anything BG did wrong in this case. The shipping policies vary from vendor to vendor, as do return, upgrade, and buyback policies. Just calm down and think this through, because a ring is just a ring. It's your choice whether to obsess over it or not. Personally, my e-ring came from a pawn shop and I told the man to buy it there because I knew he wasn't made of money. LOL Don't ruin your relationship over a ring. There are lots of rings, but good relationships are more rare. ;-D You'll work this out.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think it's possible you don't like the fluorescence? I'm not a fan of it, but other people love it, and if a stone I was considering was in the IJK range it may certainly help. I'm not a fan of knife settings either, but some are.. it's sleek and it's modern. .(usually what I like, but I like sidestone(s)... All that I have read about Brian Gavin stones/rings lead me to believe it's honest and caters to their clients, but everyone has a bad day.. If the company is telling you they cannot make the setting you like I'd find out why... some artists will not copy sort of replicate another's design although Blue Nile tends to just be generic.. If you are in the middle east and it's very expensive mailing back and forth.. what about getting a nice 1-2 carat wedding band.. good stones and bigger until you get to the US? Another poster suggested you call a certain sales person at Brian Gavin, I thought that a great idea... it's been busy due to the Valentine Day's rush, up north in Dallas they have had bad/unusual weather also.. I think it's a best bet to go back to the original source.. I know sometime the relationship is just broken though.. this happened to me :errrr: I've been married for 27 years almost... and an engagement ring to me is now jewelry.. it doesn't signify 'our love' as we have been thru the ups and downs of life and our children are the most important thing to us.. BUT I LOVE jewelry..

Again, maybe the fluorescence throws off a bit of a difference compared to the G/Fs and you don't like it.. Did you get your engagement ring after marriage as your refer to D/H as opposed to FI.. so if you are married now.. put it in your safe deposit box and bring it home and visit a trusted jeweler if you cannot deal with Brian Gavin... Brian Gavin, to my eyes, cuts incredible stones and stones, makes stunning jewelry. I wish for you peace and happiness especially in this situation... I've had my engagement reset, remade etc so many times I can't tell (actually on i'm the 5th - stone out being reset again).. and except for the setting I had was gifted on my 10th wedding anniv all the others I began to hate almost immediately so I do understand hating the setting :) maybe this next one I am getting will be the last .. hope so..

congratulations on your marriage!!! life is wonderful and while I've never been to Kuwait - Israel has been on our agenda and we think the middle east unique..

I hope to read you have found something to your liking.

tinataitlyn|1392540533|3616218 said:
So my DH decided to surprise me with an a beautiful proposal in the Amalfi Coast and an engagement ring, the only problem was he bought me the exact opposite of what I wanted and it was too big. He claims he did "tons" of research and i'm assuming he came here since he purchased from it from Brian Gavin because of all the amazing reviews. I know i'm probably going to shit for this but I honestly do not see the hype about BGD my ring doesn't "sparkle" more than any of my friends, I've compared my ring with two other girlfriends were recently engaged too and my "better cut diamond" doesn't look "better" or gives the WOW appeal (in fact I am the only one out of the three who hasn't gotten a WOW compliment from our friends which makes me super sad) and the customer service wasn't top notch in my opinion.

I felt that BGD nickeled and dimed us while most company online offer free shipping (domestically and internationally) they charged him $105 to ship internationally. It was the wrong size so we had to pay $75 to resize it plus the shipping which was another $65, probably would have been another $105, but luckily I was in the states at the time so it saved us $40. I didn't like the setting and we tried contacting them for a custom setting however when they aren't able to do even remotely close to what I wanted which kind of defeats the purpose of a "custom" setting, another disappointment. I only got a chance to deal with Lesley who was professional but cold, never once did I feel like she went above and beyond to make me want to purchase them again or recommend them. It was pretty much a this is what we can do for you if you don't want it too bad attitude.

While my friends rave about the awesome experience they had with purchasing their e-ring and how so and so did this and that for them I can't say the same about mines. Overall I am just disappointed by the whole experience and hate that something that's suppose to bring us closer is actually doing the complete opposite, we fight so much about the e-ring that it's just sad.

We've paid for over $10,000 for a engagement ring that I hate and don't wear thanks Brian Gavin!

tinataitlyn

Rough_Rock
In terms of the diamond quality all were comparable (all F or G in color, ideal cuts and VS1 to VS2 in clarity) the only difference is mines is a 1.10 ct and they both had 2 and actual setting just not six prongs. One of my friends also received her ring that was also too big with a setting she didn't like and the company they worked with (also an online company) bent over backwards to help them get one that she loved. Giving her tons of options and explaining each throughly. As soon as they contacted the company telling them the ring didn't fit they were quickly provided with an RMA to return the item free of charge. They both speak highly of the company. When I contacted BGD about my setting being too big all I received were how much it would cost to fix it, no sorry to hear it was too big. My DH was already living in Kuwait at the time and even he said they weren't super helpful from the beginning and that he felt like he had to do a lot of the research himself. They only provided him with options and that was it. Even when it came time to purchase they were completely unknowledgeable about the process it took, the necessary paperwork, etc. he said that he had to do all of it himself and provide BGD with the information. Before he had the ring resized we asked them if they could do a custom setting for us and instead of explaining why like all the helpful ladies did on PS all we heard was no this is what we can do and that was it. It wasn't that we didn't want to change the setting with them initially it was because they were willing to and didn't feel the need to explain why. The whole experience was just blahhh... if I could go back and redo it all over again I wouldn't have purchase my ring with BGD. I know everyone raves about the amazing quality, and the great cuts, how Brian, Leslie and Jaime were so great to work with but I just didn't get the same experience that's all.

Tekate: thanks for the kind words :)

GracieLee

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry that your experience with BGD was unpleasant; and while posters think that nothing wrong was done, I do understand how you feel.
I have had two experiences with BGD: The first one was wonderful; the second one was not so pleasant, and it involves the person referenced in your post. My situation is completely different than yours and without getting into details, I agree that she completely turned me off of BGD with her lack of customer service skills. Not even Jamie, who I think is super fantastic could get me to do business with BGD, so I took my business elsewhere to another online vendor. There's nothing worse than working with a vendor who leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Your best bet is to chalk it up to a bad experience and take your hard-earned money elsewhere from this point on.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your experience is your experience and completely valid at that. I hope you find a resolution of some kind and are eventually happy with your purchase.

Anise

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry you had a disappointing experience with BGD. My husband and I also had a disappointing experience with them when we tried to commission a ring from them.
We ended up purchasing a stock ring elsewhere, and even though some may say that particular vendor is overpriced, our experience was so delightful that we wouldn't consider going anywhere else for diamonds.
I can see how your friends' 2 ct diamonds might seem more impressive than the 1.1 ct you received, and why they may receive more compliments than you, but the size is just a number. Please remember your fiance must have saved up a lot of money and spend a lot of energy and thought to purchase you something so nice!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry about your experience! bGD is not usually one that people go to for custom rings. If you can save money back up perhaps try one of the more popular vendors who do more custom work ie: victor canera, single stone, mark at ERD ....
Start a new thread on rocky talk. This may prompt BGD to do something about the situation. No one likes bad publicity.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results