shape
carat
color
clarity

Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in NYC.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Re: Thanks, Anti-Vaxxers. You Just Brought Back Measles in N

momhappy|1395409176|3638691 said:
For what it's worth, I don't throw the term "bully" around and I certainly don't' subscribe to the "everyone's a winner" mentality (as suggested by aljdewey). It's interesting that those sorts of conclusions were drawn about me after only a few, simple posts here(but again, that demonstrates my point about the tone that is being put forth in this thread).

MomHappy, you'd probably be able to read the tone of the posts a bit differently if you'd stop assuming they are all about you/directed at you when they aren't. You did this with my post and a subsequent post by msop.

I expressly wrote in my post that my comments weren't directed at any specific individual in the thread, and yet in your comments above, you claim that conclusions are being drawn about you.

My post was not about you. Let me say that again - my post was not about you. I couldn't have been clearer that it was just a general observation.

Msop asked a general question: "At what point did our society become such wusses always crying "bully" when they can't have their way or when they're proven wrong?
I gave a general answer: "Right around the same time some brainiac decided it was a good idea to adopt the 'everyone's a winner and there are no losers' philosophy is approximately where I peg it."

The only one making it about you is you.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

The title, the name-calling (for example "child abusers"), the tone, etc. - an anti-vaccer wouldn't dare post here because they are likely afraid. What is the point of this thread? To validate our own beliefs that vaccinating is the way to go? What does that accomplish (other than giving ourselves a well-deserved big pat on the back)? It seems to me that rather than shun the anti-vaccers and/or scare them away, it might be more productive to actually include them in the dialogue.[/quote]

I felt the point of this thread was to express frustration and exasperation that the weakest members of our society are facing very grave disease consequences........made all the more frustrating because the means to prevent it exists but isn't being utilized.

I didn't really think the expectation was to seriously engage anti-vaxxers in hoping to change their minds, so I wasn't really expecting that.

Honestly, though, the only one who can speak to the true intent of the thread is Kenny, since it was he who opened the topic.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

aljdewey|1395498246|3639345 said:
momhappy|1395409176|3638691 said:
For what it's worth, I don't throw the term "bully" around and I certainly don't' subscribe to the "everyone's a winner" mentality (as suggested by aljdewey). It's interesting that those sorts of conclusions were drawn about me after only a few, simple posts here(but again, that demonstrates my point about the tone that is being put forth in this thread).

MomHappy, you'd probably be able to read the tone of the posts a bit differently if you'd stop assuming they are all about you/directed at you when they aren't. You did this with my post and a subsequent post by msop.

I expressly wrote in my post that my comments weren't directed at any specific individual in the thread, and yet in your comments above, you claim that conclusions are being drawn about you.

My post was not about you. Let me say that again - my post was not about you. I couldn't have been clearer that it was just a general observation.

Msop asked a general question: "At what point did our society become such wusses always crying "bully" when they can't have their way or when they're proven wrong?
I gave a general answer: "Right around the same time some brainiac decided it was a good idea to adopt the 'everyone's a winner and there are no losers' philosophy is approximately where I peg it."

The only one making it about you is you.

I don't take anything posted here on the forum personally, so it's not like I'm losing any sleep over what's been posted here :lol: I understood exactly what you meant - I was just pointing out that while I don't throw the term "bully" around, I also don't subscribe to the "everyone's a winner" theory (my post was also a sort of general observation, although it was in direct response to that particular topic). I actually posted in a thread a short while back about that same issue. I mentioned that I was disturbed by the fact that my children receive "participation" ribbons (in other words, loser ribbons) in school competitions. The concept is ridiculous and it's not doing our children any favors IMO.
The "tone" that I was referring to, was actually not about the posts that I have commented on (and they had nothing to do with me). I was referring to the posts that referenced hate, physical violence (punching people in the face), and name-calling - none of which were directed at me. It's the general tone that I do not agree with, but I expressed that, and we've moved on. If the intent of this thread was to vent about anti-vaxxers, then mission accomplished =) I just happen to think that this thread would be more productive if it was actually read by anti-vaccers (and I doubt that it is because of the tone) because I think that it contains some valuable information.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Ah......then it appears we've found common ground on two things, because I also think 'participation ribbons' are ridiculous and I also think that the information in the thread would be worth consideration for anti-vaxxers (even as I don't expect them to participate).

Sadly, I do think much of this information has been presented previously to the anti-vax community, but fear is a tough thing to overcome. The very nature of fear is not rational, so it's hard for fact-based information to penetrate that fear.

I have this same conversation with a relative who's afraid to fly. I could trot out all the data that shows not only how safe flying is statistically, but how much safer it is than many other forms of transport. Unfortunately, fact-based data doesn't resonate with emotive things like fear. Despite all that data, she still won't fly (even as she admits she dreams of seeing Hawaii).

Of course, the main difference in her case is that no others are potentially suffering for her choice not to fly. Same can't be said for those who come into contact with anti-vaxxers.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey|1395501775|3639361 said:
Sadly, I do think much of this information has been presented previously to the anti-vax community, but fear is a tough thing to overcome. The very nature of fear is not rational, so it's hard for fact-based information to penetrate that fear.

I have this same conversation with a relative who's afraid to fly. I could trot out all the data that shows not only how safe flying is statistically, but how much safer it is than many other forms of transport. Unfortunate, fear is based in emotion and not in logic/rational thinking, so one doesn't speak well to the other. Despite all that data, she still won't fly.

Of course, the main difference in her case is that no others are potentially suffering for her choice not to fly. Same can't be said for those who come into contact with anti-vaxxers.

I agree that fear negates rationality... it makes me think of the fear one would feel as they watch their newborn, toddler, or loved one's body succumb to any one of these illnesses.

I read a heartbreaking story about a newborn baby girl who had pertussis (mother wasn't vaccinated during her pregnancy). The mother described how she and her family had no choice but to watch in horror... the baby was dying right before their eyes, and there was nothing that could be done to save her. The baby was born in May 2013 and passed away four months later in September. Now that's fear. Can you imagine the guilt those parents felt? I can't. :blackeye: ::)

So when I read where someone posts that the choice not to vaccinate is "child abuse", I tend to agree that it is a form of abuse... or at least gross neglect. Others may disagree, but IMO, that conclusion isn't being dramatic.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Ah......then it appears we've found common ground on two things, because I also think 'participation ribbons' are ridiculous and I also think that the information in the thread would be worth consideration for anti-vaxxers (even as I don't expect them to participate).

I have this same conversation with a relative who's afraid to fly. I could trot out all the data that shows not only how safe flying is statistically, but how much safer it is than many other forms of transport. Unfortunately, fact-based data doesn't resonate with emotive things like fear. Despite all that data, she still won't fly (even as she admits she dreams of seeing Hawaii).

=)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1395503185|3639373 said:

I have this same conversation with a relative who's afraid to fly. I could trot out all the data that shows not only how safe flying is statistically, but how much safer it is than many other forms of transport. Unfortunate, fear is based in emotion and not in logic/rational thinking, so one doesn't speak well to the other. Despite all that data, she still won't fly.

I agree that fear negates rationality... it makes me think of the fear one would feel as they watch their newborn, toddler, or loved one's body succumb to any one of these illnesses.

I read a heartbreaking story about a newborn baby girl who had pertussis (mother wasn't vaccinated during her pregnancy). The mother described how she and her family had no choice but to watch in horror... the baby was dying right before their eyes, and there was nothing that could be done to save her. The baby was born in May 2013 and passed away four months later in September. Now that's fear. Can you imagine the guilt those parents felt? I can't. :blackeye: ::)

So when I read where someone posts that the choice not to vaccinate is "child abuse", I tend to agree that it is a form of abuse... or at least gross neglect. Others may disagree, but IMO, that conclusion isn't being dramatic.

Um. I have been reading this thread but not participating because I don't have anything constructive to add. I have been gaining knowledge here and there by reading some of the articles linked and have been absorbing like a sponge and also thinking a lot. I'm very happy to see many of my thoughts are shared by most here. But, I'm unhappy to think that I've put my child in danger and here's why:
While I was pregnant, I did not receive my Tdap. I think I was schedule to have it but (I really cannot recall) didn't end up getting it. I'll have to call my doctor's office and find out for sure. I was working full time all the way up until the night I went into labor, I had a million things going on, and it fell through the cracks obviously in the doctor's office and personally. I had so many other things to deal with after my child was born that I didn't even remember to ask my doctor about it. My child is 22 months old now and healthy, totally vax'd, but apparently I'm not. I really REALLY hope that this doesn't make me an abusive or grossly neglectful parent. But it seems (from reading your post, although I'm probably just suffering from guilt and taking it personally even though I know that was not your intention) that I am. Ouch! Calling Monday morning to see about this.
I'm very glad this thread exists, whether it's a reprisal or not. We need to keep discussing these issues as they evolve. As humans, we never stop learning, and we never know it all.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395520706|3639512 said:
Um. I have been reading this thread but not participating because I don't have anything constructive to add. I have been gaining knowledge here and there by reading some of the articles linked and have been absorbing like a sponge and also thinking a lot. I'm very happy to see many of my thoughts are shared by most here. But, I'm unhappy to think that I've put my child in danger and here's why:
While I was pregnant, I did not receive my Tdap. I think I was schedule to have it but (I really cannot recall) didn't end up getting it. I'll have to call my doctor's office and find out for sure. I was working full time all the way up until the night I went into labor, I had a million things going on, and it fell through the cracks obviously in the doctor's office and personally. I had so many other things to deal with after my child was born that I didn't even remember to ask my doctor about it. My child is 22 months old now and healthy, totally vax'd, but apparently I'm not. I really REALLY hope that this doesn't make me an abusive or grossly neglectful parent. But it seems (from reading your post, although I'm probably just suffering from guilt and taking it personally even though I know that was not your intention) that I am. Ouch! Calling Monday morning to see about this.
I'm very glad this thread exists, whether it's a reprisal or not. We need to keep discussing these issues as they evolve. As humans, we never stop learning, and we never know it all.

No, I don't think you're a bad mother... the mother in the article was offered the vaccination, but declined. It wasn't like she just forgot. It was there, and she opted not to take it. Not getting it bc you forgot isn't the same as refusing. Unfortunately, the outcome can be the same, but thank goodness that was not the case for your child.

Pharmacies have been giving Tdap and many other vaccinations for several years now, so that may be a quick and easy option for you. :)) You don't need a Rx or anything. In recent years (last 2-3) I've noticed entire families, including grandparents and caregivers have been coming in to get one. They would tell me that they had to get it before the mommy would let them see the baby. :bigsmile:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

We had a thread a few years ago about this. That went down like a lead balloon but I think for many helpful and we have so many here that have kids that are of age to be vaccinated.

I vacinated my kids of course. But with my son, who had a severe allergy to eggs and peanuts and all things dairy. I did the MMR in a delayed way. The pediatrition was incredulous that I knew what I did. But I was like no way am I giving him the full dose , so break it down over three and will be good. It was and was happy she backed me up.

I am all for vaccinating, and know it saves many lives. But also know there are some that have to do it a special or delayed way and that's ok too. :read:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

aljdewey|1395499230|3639347 said:
Honestly, though, the only one who can speak to the true intent of the thread is Kenny, since it was he who opened the topic.

True intent? :confused:

No intent. :saint:
Just important news.

IMO, threads going wherever they go is fine.
That's just the nature, and the appeal, of a public Internet forum.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1395521558|3639522 said:
monarch64|1395520706|3639512 said:

No, I don't think you're a bad mother... the mother in the article was offered the vaccination, but declined. It wasn't like she just forgot. It was there, and she opted not to take it. Not getting it bc you forgot isn't the same as refusing. Unfortunately, the outcome can be the same, but thank goodness that was not the case for your child.

Pharmacies have been giving Tdap and many other vaccinations for several years now, so that may be a quick and easy option for you. :)) You don't need a Rx or anything. In recent years (last 2-3) I've noticed entire families, including grandparents and caregivers have been coming in to get one. They would tell me that they had to get it before the mommy would let them see the baby. :bigsmile:

Well, I'm rather angry that the doctor/office didn't make sure that I was given the Tdap. Fault lies equally on them and myself, of course, but still it angers me. I'll def call Monday and make sure I'm right (I would remember a shot, believe me) and then see about getting it. Just read the CVS Minute Clinic site which gives a list of services/costs--in regard to Dtap it says: "MinuteClinic practitioners treat children 18 months and older, and can provide the recommended vaccinations at 18 months and 4 - 6 years. First doses, which are given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age, are not available at MinuteClinic." Does that mean they don't vax adults? Yes, I know I can call--I'm not trying to be obtuse, I promise! I would just like to go and get it over with rather than make an appt at my doctor's office and drag this out further, plus child care, etc. TIA! Also, thank you for your contributions to this thread, Msop.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1395522257|3639536 said:

Just important news.

Are you sure, because I thought you were talking about me. :bigsmile: :lol:
Thanks for starting this thread, Kenny. I've been gaining a lot of knowledge here. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395522544|3639539 said:
Well, I'm rather angry that the doctor/office didn't make sure that I was given the Tdap. Fault lies equally on them and myself, of course, but still it angers me. I'll def call Monday and make sure I'm right (I would remember a shot, believe me) and then see about getting it. Just read the CVS Minute Clinic site which gives a list of services/costs--in regard to Dtap it says: "MinuteClinic practitioners treat children 18 months and older, and can provide the recommended vaccinations at 18 months and 4 - 6 years. First doses, which are given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age, are not available at MinuteClinic." Does that mean they don't vax adults? Yes, I know I can call--I'm not trying to be obtuse, I promise! I would just like to go and get it over with rather than make an appt at my doctor's office and drag this out further, plus child care, etc. TIA! Also, thank you for your contributions to this thread, Msop.

I don't think it's obtuse at all to ask -- it shows you care and are interested in swift action! :appl: :))

Yes, those clinics are very convenient. I've never worked in one, but I know Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS certainly vaccinate adults. They won't vaccinate small children due to liability issues (insurance, State Board of Pharmacy issues, kicking/screaming children + needles = potential lawsuit... LOL). I know when I was with Walgreens, we couldn't vaccinate for <10... that may have changed now, but you get my point... Some MDs may not have stressed the importance of Tdap several years ago, but I'd be willing to be they may have changed their tune due to all the outbreaks in recent years.

Just to be clear... (I just copied and pasted this info from the net, as it can be somewhat confusing)

Tdap vaccine protects adolescents and adults against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough).

Td (Tetanus Booster) vaccine can protect against tetanus and diphtheria, and has been used for many years as booster doses for adolescents and adults

DTaP, which is routinely administered as five doses spread between infancy and children 4 - 6 years of age, to protect against the same three diseases

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395522650|3639540 said:

Just important news.

Thanks for starting this thread, Kenny. I've been gaining a lot of knowledge here. :wavey:

This thread is not merely about YOU, it's about how you looked in that skimpy little swimsuit, the one with the tiger pattern.
You know; the one you were wearing last night when you and your husband … :o … oh never mind!

:mrgreen:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1395523897|3639548 said:
monarch64|1395522544|3639539 said:

I don't think it's obtuse at all to ask -- it shows you care and are interested in swift action! :appl: :))

Yes, those clinics are very convenient. I've never worked in one, but I know Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS certainly vaccinate adults. They won't vaccinate small children due to liability issues (insurance, State Board of Pharmacy issues, kicking/screaming children + needles = potential lawsuit... LOL). I know when I was with Walgreens, we couldn't vaccinate for <10... that may have changed now, but you get my point... Some MDs may not have stressed the importance of Tdap several years ago, but I'd be willing to be they may have changed their tune due to all the outbreaks in recent years.

Just to be clear... (I just copied and pasted this info from the net, as it can be somewhat confusing)

Tdap vaccine protects adolescents and adults against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (whooping cough).

Td (Tetanus Booster) vaccine can protect against tetanus and diphtheria, and has been used for many years as booster doses for adolescents and adults

DTaP, which is routinely administered as five doses spread between infancy and children 4 - 6 years of age, to protect against the same three diseases

Wow, thank you so much, Msop! Yes, I had it wrong with the Dtap instead of Tdap. Our CVS offers the Tdap for adults, no appt necessary for $65. So getting it next week. Thanks again, I really appreciate this!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395524613|3639555 said:
Wow, thank you so much, Msop! Yes, I had it wrong with the Dtap instead of Tdap. Our CVS offers the Tdap for adults, no appt necessary for $65. So getting it next week. Thanks again, I really appreciate this!

No problem! :)) I get confused sometimes too! LOL That's great that you're getting the shot! :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1395524270|3639551 said:
monarch64|1395522650|3639540 said:

Just important news.

This thread is not merely about YOU, it's about how you looked in that skimpy little swimsuit, the one with the tiger pattern.
You know; the one you were wearing last night when you and your husband … :o … oh never mind!

:mrgreen:

Hahaha! Rawr!

tiger.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hahaha! Rawr!

OMG! I just died -- HOW CUTE IS THAT??!! :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1395525909|3639568 said:
Hahaha! Rawr!

So cute. I just hope he was vaccinated! :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395526446|3639574 said:
Hahaha! Rawr!

Yeah.
Looks like he'd be a biter on the playground. :twisted:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hahaha! Rawr!

HA! Me too -- CAT SCRATCH FEVER, anyone??!! ;)) :lol: :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1395527107|3639582 said:
Hahaha! Rawr!

Yeah.
Looks like he'd be a biter on the playground. :twisted:

The biters are no joke! I have scars from children!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop,

I'm pretty sure the Tdap vaccine insert says it has not been tested on pregnant women and that it's not to be administered to pregnant women. Is this not true anymore? I'm not talking about what doctors say, I'm referring specifically to the vaccine package itself.
I received the Tdap vaccine the day after I delivered my son. I am just too nervous to be getting vaccines when pregnant since they have not done any studies on pregnant women.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619|1395534648|3639643 said:
msop,

I'm pretty sure the Tdap vaccine insert says it has not been tested on pregnant women and that it's not to be administered to pregnant women. Is this not true anymore? I'm not talking about what doctors say, I'm referring specifically to the vaccine package itself.
I received the Tdap vaccine the day after I delivered my son. I am just too nervous to be getting vaccines when pregnant since they have not done any studies on pregnant women.

Laila, I'm glad you commented. After I read the above I had to google, and found this http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm which says October 2012 was when the gov't in the US started recommending Tdap during pregnancy between 27-36 weeks. I had my daughter in May, 2012 so maybe that's why I was not given the Tdap? Sorry, I know you were asking Msop, and I'm not providing an answer anyway, but I was intrigued by what you posted.

SO MANY QUESTIONS. STILL SO PRO-VAX. ;)) :mrgreen:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop,

Sorry, I just got home and saw this... I can't really comment on the package insert, other than maybe it needs to be updated per the 2012 CDC guidelines. :confused: :read:

Here's a quick link:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm

EDIT: Don't quote me on this, but I think the insert for vaccines also says something about following the latest recommendations... I may be making this up, but it seems like they all say something to that effect... I don't give vaccinations at my new pharmacy since I'm inside a clinic, so it's been a long time since I've had a vial of anything other than insulin -- I'll try to find out.... :read:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64|1395538347|3639655 said:
msop,

Laila, I'm glad you commented. After I read the above I had to google, and found this http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/tdap-pregnancy-hcp.htm which says October 2012 was when the gov't in the US started recommending Tdap during pregnancy between 27-36 weeks. I had my daughter in May, 2012 so maybe that's why I was not given the Tdap? Sorry, I know you were asking Msop, and I'm not providing an answer anyway, but I was intrigued by what you posted.

SO MANY QUESTIONS. STILL SO PRO-VAX. ;)) :mrgreen:

Guess I should've read one more post! LOL

And monarch, that may be why your OB didn't push it?? Some docs are so afraid of lawsuits, they need some backing to say it's approved (like CDC). :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop,

I think your doc just went by the "older" guidelines of vaccinating right after delivery... here is an excerpt from the above link:

Postpartum Tdap Vaccination Not Optimal
Vaccination with Tdap during pregnancy is ideal. Public health professionals expect that administering Tdap during pregnancy will prevent more infant hospitalizations and deaths from pertussis than postpartum vaccination. However, if a woman does not get vaccinated during pregnancy and has never received Tdap before, administer the vaccine immediately postpartum, before she leaves the hospital or birthing center. Also advise your patient that other adults who will be around her newborn, such as dads, grandparents, older siblings, and babysitters, should also be up-to-date with their pertussis vaccine.

No wonder I had so many families (like ENTIRE FAMILIES, ya'll!!) coming in!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This thread just acquired a new personal relevance for me: I got a call from my doc last night telling me to, a) come in bright and early to get a shot Monday, as my rubella immunity had faded away, and, b) to under NO CIRCUMSTANCES get pregnant this month, since the vaccine could be active for up to four weeks.

I cannot imagine how scared/angry/frustrated I would be for the next however many months if I'd gotten that news after conceiving. Glad my doc runs all the tests ... consider this a heads-up to ask them to test specifically if they don't already!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1395593543|3639869 said:
This thread just acquired a new personal relevance for me: I got a call from my doc last night telling me to, a) come in bright and early to get a shot Monday, as my rubella immunity had faded away, and, b) to under NO CIRCUMSTANCES get pregnant this month, since the vaccine could be active for up to four weeks.

I cannot imagine how scared/angry/frustrated I would be for the next however many months if I'd gotten that news after conceiving. Glad my doc runs all the tests ... consider this a heads-up to ask them to test specifically if they don't already!

How ironic, Circe! Good stuff! Thanks for posting! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results