shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you look for when you consider antique cuts?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,
My boyfriend and I will be buying/considering stones and settings in the new couple of months. Our budget is a modest one by PS standards, up to 6k (but less if I can find a bargain!). I have been looking at old cuts until my eyes cross. I love the prismatic effect, chunky flashes and even like the warmer colors.

I like the options at GoG in the August vintage, but not sure if I like the price tag that goes with the ideal old cuts, compared with the actual antique old cuts one finds at other vendors and online. I would rather put money into the rock and go with a solitaire or simple halo.

So here is my question. As I look/drool over old cuts...how can I tell/what should I look for to see if it is a bright flashing, lively stone? Is there any special trick? :) I see some of you comment on old cuts "I see light leakage" and I look at the picture...and sometimes don't see what you're seeing. I see a sparkly diamond :) They are all so pretty...for example with Erica or Grace's site.

Thanks in advance for your time.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Exactly what I was hoping to find! thanks so much for your reply :)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Just look at what appeals to you most. Do you want a OEC, AC, tranny, OMB? I think facet pattern is the most important. Everything after that I can forgive.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Do I want them...Yes! all of them are wonderful. :Up_to_something:

I like a slight checkerboard effect sometimes seen old the old euro cuts. I also think the OMC is charming. The big draw for me is the actual fire, and I like the spectrum colors reflected in the older cuts. I have wondered about the less than idea light return on an older cut. I like...no LOVE the August Vintage, but think I may be able to find a larger antique diamond that performs reasonably well. I guess I am trying to figure out my strategy. The boyfriend told me the window to "go" is a couple of months...so I am seriously mulling over options. What a chore, right? :)

SB621|1395230988|3637174 said:
Just look at what appeals to you most. Do you want a OEC, AC, tranny, OMB? I think facet pattern is the most important. Everything after that I can forgive.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

SB621

Ideal_Rock
moneymeister|1395241274|3637279 said:
Actually, i keep looking at this ring...very drawn to it. Way under budget and a little smaller than I have been dreaming about. The pictures show great color reflection, but the video is less exciting. I would love other people's opinions!

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Rings-Antique-Vintage/90ct-Old-European-Cut-Fishtail/30519344_krphhS#!i=2632453791&k=cqcdskQ

Have you reached out to Erica, Grace or Adam? I think they are the most well known old cut vendors. Grace and Erica now have 2 seperate shops (JbEG is no more :nono: ) and they are wondeful to work with, though they both have limited inventory. Adam at Old World DIamonds has a LARGE inventory. Just email him and tell him what you are looking for. I would think between the 3 vendors you will get some options.

Are you OK with L/M color?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the same thing, pretty stone but it has a obvious tint to it are you O.K with the colour of it?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely fine with a color down to an M-ish warm vanilla. I am not very color sensitive, but I do require bold color flashes.
If I buy a ring...well, I'll have whatever setting it comes in.
If a stone, I intend to set the stone in a 6 prong classic rose gold solitaire, so that should help with the tint a little bit too.

I have talked with Erica (loved her personality) and have yet to reach out to Adam or Grace, as it is not quite a "go" yet... but I am preparing as much as possible now. I also have not been given my final budget. The boyfriend is working on that for a couple of months. He told me to decide what I want now, in general terms...and get a plan together. He is amused at my "hunting", but is a firearms collector, so understand such singular interest.

I am getting so excited now. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results