shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you emotionally attached to your first pearls? for fun

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock
Just for fun and curiosity... :wavey:
Is there something intrinsically more special about your first set of pearls and why?

If not your first than is there another pearl string/ring/earring/etc... that you are more emotionally attached to than others and for what reason?

If you could only wear one for the rest of your life, would this pearl string/ring/earring/etc be your choice?

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock
Re: Are you emotionally attached to your first pearls? for f

Amour_Et_Diamants|1395162294|3636532 said:
Is there something intrinsically more special about your first set of pearls and why?

If not your first than is there another pearl string/ring/earring/etc... that you are more emotionally attached to than others and for what reason?

If you could only wear one for the rest of your life, would this pearl string/ring/earring/etc be your choice?
-My first string of pearls was a gift from my Grandmother when I was 16, and I love those pearls beyond reason. The pearls are not uniform and are blemished (more from being a careless teenager), but they are still the most important string I own. It's pure intrinsic value, and I'm hoping to pass them down to my daughter when she turns 16.

-NA

-These would not be my first choice to wear because the pearls are not all that appealing. I'd rather wear my 7.5-8mm White Freshwater 22 inch strand.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

I bought my first pearls last October, so there isn't emotional feelings yet. They were very boring white pearls. I haven't wear it many times since I found my others. Only way it might be very important strand, is that it brought me here, pearl forum and I found the whole universe of pearls. And all my pearl friends here. I love the idea, that we live around the world, but pearls bring us together. Over all, I'm not very emotinal with my jewellery; we have changed my engagement/wedding rings twice. Maybe this OEC ring, I have now, will be emotionally important during time( if I won't upgrade again :lol: :lol: :lol: )

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

no.
actually, I'd like to have them restrung with some of my earlier purchases to make a mismatched longer necklace.
how hard is it to learn how to knot anyway?

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie, it's not difficult at all. Even I learned it and now all I want to do is KNOT :shock: :shock: :lol:

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock

I must be super sentimental then :oops:

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade

In a way - the first strand I bought is what inspired me to knot so I could redesign it. So that was meaningful to me! My favorite strand now is a Tahitian/akoya keshi rope that I love beyond words. I'm incredibly attached to it and wear it all the time. The pearls are from PP and I strung them myself.

For the ladies interested in knotting, there are tons of great tutorials out there! It's really not hard, just time-consuming depending on what you're making. I'm happy to offer any tips or help if you like.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1395167136|3636591 said:
how hard is it to learn how to knot anyway?

MZ, it's easy. If you have a local bead shop, go in there and ask if they'll show you how the first time (they likely will if you buy a needle and some thread, gimp, etc.). You'll pick it up easily.

To answer your question, no. I gave away my first strand to my cousin. If I had to pick just one strand it would be my metallic drops, but I do have two or three favorites that I wear every week.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Amour_Et_Diamants|1395162294|3636532 said:

No. They were a short three strand set of peachy rice pearls. Small. The wrong colour for my skin type and ridiculously conservative for a 19 year old. I still have them.

Yes - My Wilmas that Mr K bought me for Mother's Day last year. Love them. Very sentimental about them too.

No, I would say my long strand of Tahitians. More versatile, I think, but it would be a toss up!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I've still got the first strand I bought, which started me off on this long nacred road. I've never seen the same colour again. They were a sort of goldish tan coloured potato,
And I still have some of the first strand I bought. Iridescent blue sticks. Still think they're pretty.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, not at all, as they were of low quality and too small for me now.

DK :))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I still like them.....but the strands are too short for me now and perhaps too small as well. however, put together into a longer strand they'd be dynamite!
thanks for the encouragement, ladies, i'll look into learning to knot.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I would say yes, I am. I bought a 18k diamond peacock Tahitian pendant in Morrea, French Polynesia while on vacation. I wore it daily for many years and still love it. It's a smooth drop and the colors are beautiful. We went to many pearl shops in Morrea and Papeete, Tahiti before I decided on my pearl. It was quite a pearly day.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

My first real pearls were my blue-green Kamoka studs purchased directly from the farm (a.ka. Josh) just last year and they are indeed very special to me :love: :love: :love: The color and luster are just stunning! They are tied for my favorite pearls with my large (11-12mm) wSS studs from Pearl Paradise. These studs have lovely pink overtones and have amazing luster too. I would say I couldn't ever part with either and would have to keep both :ugeek: If I could only keep one necklace it would be my new double strand freshadama/metallic also from PP. I love that it is a twist on a classic and can be easily worn casual or dressed up. I would definitely miss my other pieces, but these are my must haves!

screen_shot_2013-04-28_at_9.png
wss_box_2.jpg
02-21-14a.jpg

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock

NacreLover|1395259847|3637477 said:
I would say yes, I am. I bought a 18k diamond peacock Tahitian pendant in Morrea, French Polynesia while on vacation. I wore it daily for many years and still love it. It's a smooth drop and the colors are beautiful. We went to many pearl shops in Morrea and Papeete, Tahiti before I decided on my pearl. It was quite a pearly day.

This is such a beautiful story and such a romantic begining to a love affair with pearls. I'm jealous!! :tongue:

Amour_Et_Diamants

Shiny_Rock

LitGeek-- I love your double strand, and the luster on those studs is to die for.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

Amour_Et_Diamants|1395330762|3637959 said:
LitGeek-- I love your double strand, and the luster on those studs is to die for.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I still have my first strand. It's very small peach/pink rice pearls that I bought in college to wear to my first interview for an office job. Not attached to it at all. The rest of my strands were purchased or gifted to be different from each other so I can't say that I prefer one over the others because they have such varied looks.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock

Yep, I'm definitely attached to my first strand of pearls. My mother gave them to me, and they were the first piece of jewelry that my Dad bought for her, so they definitely mean a lot to me.

Judicious

Rough_Rock

Yes, I got my first pearl bracelet from my grandmother when I was 7 years old. They are too short for me now, but I like that a lot. I still have that gift with me. And I feel the presence of my grandmother with those pearls..... Now, as I am grown up I wish I would get a present from my hubby... :)

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock

Yes I have several strands that have very special meaning to me. My first present and "real" pearls from my dear husband and my last present which was pearls from him for our 26th anniversary the month before he died.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

Unfortunately I don't have a great story about many of my pearls and am not that attached in any special way to my "first". But I love hearing about those that have special-meaning pearls!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results