shape
carat
color
clarity

Tricks for getting dye out of jeans?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooooo I'm pretty upset right now. My mom gave me a pair of her old jeans she's had for years-the kind I can't find anywhere that totally fit my 'hippie' look.

I managed to get red/pink dye right on the back towards the top. What I can only assume happened is one of the crappy red face cloths we own was wet and got set on my jeans without me noticing :knockout:

These wash rags came from a knock off bed bath and beyond type store and even though I've had them for YEARS (and they pretty much do nothing-they don't absorb anything but leach onto everything) I've kept them for some unknown reason.

I thankfully noticed before I washed them but so far have tried-unsuccessfully-with peroxide-bac-out enzyme stain remover (which did remove some dye THE JEAN dye-go figure) and a special stain bar that I have. No luck.

I'm willing to wear them as is and if anyone stares at my butt that closely they will see it. But I'd really like to get it out.

Any tips? Tricks? I really don't want them to be like this. These are vintage hippie jeans-my mom had them for over 20 years and I have them less than 6 months and I'm already funk-a-fying them more than I am wanting at the moment.

HELP!?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe Oxyclean would work? I make a paste out of it and let it sit on the fabric overnight. Rise it out and let the fabric air dry and see if it's helping. Some things I've had to use the paste on more than once.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
hum, no suggestion on removing dye but maybe you could try re-dying just that spot(same color of jeans not pink lol) or the whole jeans good luck!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
RIT (the dye company) has a Color Remover. I think it's for exactly your situation.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1395178724|3636755 said:
Maybe Oxyclean would work? I make a paste out of it and let it sit on the fabric overnight. Rise it out and let the fabric air dry and see if it's helping. Some things I've had to use the paste on more than once.

I'll try that next-thanks for the suggestion dee jay!

Cluless said:
hum, no suggestion on removing dye but maybe you could try re-dying just that spot(same color of jeans not pink lol) or the whole jeans good luck!

That is my plan (going a much darker blue) if all else fails. Hopefully that will work if nothing else does!

Thanks for the suggestion!

iLander said:
RIT (the dye company) has a Color Remover. I think it's for exactly your situation.

Ilander I'll have to look into that if the oxy route fails. I'm worried they'll remove the jean dye though too? Can't hurt to research it some more though-thanks so much!

I'll report back after I figure out the best solution and if it gets resolved. Thanks everyone!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Probably too late to the party. I've accidently died white socks pink a couple times. Things I've learned:

1. Add a cup of white vinegar and detergent into the washer and wash again before drying [not the case here] :confused:
2. If items have been dried I use Clorox 2 Stain Remover and Color Booster: Fill a bucket or sink with cool water [enough to cover jeans] then add Clorox 2 cap filled to first line, stir add the jeans and let soak overnight [8 hours] rinse and check if stains are gone, if not- repeat soaking then wash/dry as usual. Good Luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results