carat
color
clarity

Shingles...need advice from knowledgeable PSers

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1389194555|3588824 said:
Missy, you gotta look after yourself. I'm also home sick today, doped up to the eyeballs on benzos and NSAIDs for a muscular spasm (I had it for 4 days and kept going till I couldn't get out of bed this morning) I feel really guilty as I'm feeling way better now but it's too late to go to work. But we shouldn't feel bad, we need to be here!

Aww rosetta, I am so sorry you are feeling poorly. Muscle spasms are so painful...glad you are feeling so much better now and definitely do not feel guilty as rest is your best cure and will ensure you are back to work soon.

Ofc it is so easy for me to say to you but I am stressed about missing work mainly because I am not feeling better and worried how long I might be out. Hope you continue to feel better and are back at work tomorrow and no guilt!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Missy, until those sores are crusted over and dry, you are highly infectious. Even patients in the hospital whose lesions are covered are still isolated and on 'contact precautions' meaning anyone going in the room must put a gown and gloves on. Shingles patients with lesions unable to be covered are placed on airborne precautions.
Shingles sucks, I'm so sorry you have it. I hope you don't get post-herpetic neuralgia.
Do watch out with mixing your analgesics. Some are mixtures of acetaminophen (paracetemol in the UK) and another ingredient so read the fine print so you don't take accidental OD. Also, don't take two types of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories at once eg. Ibuprofen and naproxen.

At least we should see less and less shingles cases as more people come through life having never had chickenpox thanks to vaccinations.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Jane, thanks for the info and good wishes.

I was told by both my doctors (Primary care physician and dermatologist) that I certainly can go back to work if I am feeling up to it. That as long as my rash is covered by clothing no one is at risk (and I do not deal with children or pregnant women). What I was told is that people who haven't had chickenpox, or the vaccine to prevent it, can pick up the virus by direct contact with the open sores of shingles. So transmission to someone else is not that easy.

I am hoping shingles will be a thing of the past for everyone very soon given the vaccine to prevent chickenpox. It's a real (literal and figurative) pain! I am still having very flu like symptoms. :knockout:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you feel better soon, Missy! Sorry, I can't offer any advice but I'm glad you were able to see your doctor.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, hope you feel better soon!... :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Take care and rest Missy. Use your sick time if you have any--your health and recovery is most important. Don't rush.

healing vibes across the miles...Sharon

misssoph

Shiny_Rock
Re infection control. My vesicles were also on my trunk and covered by clothes. My situation was perhaps different as I work in a hospital. The infection control position was that I could not go near the wards/patients til my vesicles crusted over in case I Inadvertently contacted immunocompromised patients or pregnant women( other staff members primarily)n. I wAs allowed to go into my office and catch up on paperwork , but I really didn't feel well enough go the first 5 days and also felt that getting shingles at the age of 40 was a sign my system was overwhelmed and I needed to allow it to rest. I had only had 2 sickdays off before in 3 years !

It is very important to avoid pregnant women as the consequences of in-utero infection for the baby can be very severe.

Even though the rash was under clothing It was so uncomfortable I found myself touching without thinking, and the fluid in the vesicles is full of virus particles. To avoid this I ended up covering my rash areas with giant band aids!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, how terrible! I just want to chime in that you really should rest, because shingles can be really debilitating if allowed to progress. Work can wait, take care of you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back home from my first day at work. Whew, I am tired but feel relatively good. It was nice to be back and working because I was getting a bit depressed staying at home these past few days. When you're not feeling well and are forced to stay in and rest it can be unpleasant. I like activity and get restless when I am forced to rest and take it easy I guess lol.

Thank you Zoe, Dancing Fire, Sharon and Tourmaline for your good thoughts and healing wishes. :wavey:

misssoph, ugh, I feel your pain. I have been covering my vesicles with a huge bandage and using bactroban to prevent infection. It's a pain but I prefer not having to look at them anyway cause they are gross. :knockout:

I made sure to get medical clearance from my doctor before I went back to work. I work at a medical clinic and I am seeing patients all day so I had to make sure I was safe and wouldn't infect anyone. My patients come first no matter what and I would never take a risk with their health. I'm there to keep them in good health. :halo:

One concern is I think the rash is spreading (my wrist is looking a bit rashy and itchy) but I cannot be sure so I am just going to continue taking my meds and resting. I feel better than I had been feeling and that's why I went into work today but I am now off for the next 3 days anyway so hopefully that time will allow me to heal more fully and get back to good health.

I agree that this is a sign my system is overwhelmed and I am going to take the necessary steps to hopefully never allow this to happen again. Worry is bad. Too much stress is bad. Everything needs to be put in perspective. And when I start worrying again I will repeat this mantra over and over. Eventually I hope it will become a part of me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh, I am sorry, I hope you feel better soon! I hear shingles are so painful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1389118490|3588290 said:
I had shingles twice after having my son, within one year. Best way to recover is rest. Shingles are often triggered by stress, lowered immune system and exhaustion. That is why so many young mothers get it. Will be praying for you that you will heal quickly with no complications.

LLJsmom, do you remember how close your 2 episodes were? I am having that same internal achey feeling I had a few days before my shingles outbreak. :((
I cannot believe it. It's surreal. Like a nightmare. I hope I am overreacting though and that I am fine and have this weird achey feeling for some other reason.

And thanks Skippy...I started feeling better about a week or so after my initial outbreak. Thanks for your good wishes.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1392294024|3614255 said:
I had shingles twice after having my son, within one year. Best way to recover is rest. Shingles are often triggered by stress, lowered immune system and exhaustion. That is why so many young mothers get it. Will be praying for you that you will heal quickly with no complications.

LLJsmom, do you remember how close your 2 episodes were? I am having that same internal achey feeling I had a few days before my shingles outbreak. :((
I cannot believe it. It's surreal. Like a nightmare. I hope I am overreacting though and that I am fine and have this weird achey feeling for some other reason.

And thanks Skippy...I started feeling better about a week or so after my initial outbreak. Thanks for your good wishes.
I am CONVINCED that DH is also having a relapse. He's beyond stressed with work and I am convinced he is the only one in his team that does a damn thing or ever even shows up because he ends up being the only one on conference calls with clients, and it's becoming ridiculous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1392303437|3614312 said:

I am CONVINCED that DH is also having a relapse. He's beyond stressed with work and I am convinced he is the only one in his team that does a damn thing or ever even shows up because he ends up being the only one on conference calls with clients, and it's becoming ridiculous.

Sorry ame. I hope your dh starts feeling better very soon and that his stress dissipates.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is both weird and alarming to hear about relapses as I always thought it was a one and done kinda thing. I had mine about 4 years ago, and was banking on the fact that it would not come back - I'm wondering if it would do for those of you worrying about a relapse to get the immunization, or does it not work once you've had the outbreak?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1392322871|3614612 said:
It is both weird and alarming to hear about relapses as I always thought it was a one and done kinda thing. I had mine about 4 years ago, and was banking on the fact that it would not come back - I'm wondering if it would do for those of you worrying about a relapse to get the immunization, or does it not work once you've had the outbreak?
From the way my Dr. describes it, you can't get the immunization if you've had it, or if you're under 50 or something. But they told me Im not eligible to get it bec I had chicken pox. I don't really know how that matters since I thought that made you MORE susceptible? I have no idea.

He's under ridiculous stress with his job all the time, and it's been even worse the last few months. I keep hoping that something will give, but so far no such luck.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I was at work today I spoke to 2 of the internists there and they both agreed I should start back on the antivirals for 7 days. The shingles virus lives in your nerves and never goes away unfortunately and in times of undue stress or weakened immune systems it comes out. Having it once is no guarantee you won't get it again and having the vaccine doesn't fully protect you either. Though if you have had it once or got the vaccine you are more likely to have a weakened case so there's that.

My internist doesn't want to give me the vaccine for at least another year plus because he feels my body has gone through a lot with the shingles and the vaccine might put me over the edge. One of the internists at work doesn't fully believe the vaccine even helps but who knows. I plan on getting it once I turn 50 unless new evidence shows otherwise.

Ame-I think your doctor is wrong or you misunderstood. According to all the doctors I spoke with you can get it after you have the outbreak but you just have to wait for your immune system to fully heal. And you can get the vaccine at any age (as an adult). It's just that insurance won't cover it because you are less likely to have an outbreak at a younger age and they are cutting corners of course to save money.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
(((Hugs))) I hope you feel better soon!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1392329488|3614722 said:

Aww, thank you armywife! I appreciate the hugs and well wishes. I am drinking some herbal tea (Mu tea-it's yummy) and trying to relax and not worry.

Though there's news of another snow storm coming this Saturday. I am so sick of the cold and nasty weather and seriously think it is depressing my immune system and not just my mood lol.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
missy said:
armywife13|1392329488|3614722 said:

Aww, thank you armywife! I appreciate the hugs and well wishes. I am drinking some herbal tea (Mu tea-it's yummy) and trying to relax and not worry.

Though there's news of another snow storm coming this Saturday. I am so sick of the cold and nasty weather and seriously think it is depressing my immune system and not just my mood lol.

I feel you on the cold weather, it has been a rough winter here in WI too. Then again, when isn't winter in WI a bit rough? ;-) Since we can't change the nasty weather, might as well snuggle up on the couch with a blanket, yummy tea, and a good book or movie. Kick back and relax!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
ame said:
From the way my Dr. describes it, you can't get the immunization if you've had it, or if you're under 50 or something. But they told me Im not eligible to get it bec I had chicken pox. I don't really know how that matters since I thought that made you MORE susceptible? I have no idea.

He's under ridiculous stress with his job all the time, and it's been even worse the last few months. I keep hoping that something will give, but so far no such luck.

It's not FDA approved for people under 50. And you can't get the immunization if you have an active case of shingles. If you had chicken pox as a child, it is recommended you get the immunization as the shingles virus is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus.

minous - if you've already had an outbreak and then receive the immunization, you decrease the chance of having subsequent outbreaks or if you do relapse, it won't be as bad of a case.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi missy, I'm so sorry you're still suffering so much. I think it was 5-6 months. I initially thought is could not be since I "just" had it. I went to the doctor and told them about these series of bug bites that were so painful. I thought they were spider bites that got infected. Guess what... it took me three weeks to even ask the doctor. If you start seeing/feeling signs, maybe you should go back and check with your doctor... I really feel for you missy. :-o And I never had the immunization. I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1392350053|3615001 said:
ame said:

It's not FDA approved for people under 50. And you can't get the immunization if you have an active case of shingles. If you had chicken pox as a child, it is recommended you get the immunization as the shingles virus is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus.

minous - if you've already had an outbreak and then receive the immunization, you decrease the chance of having subsequent outbreaks or if you do relapse, it won't be as bad of a case.

Thank you - this is what I was wondering about.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1392361343|3615077 said:

Hi missy, I'm so sorry you're still suffering so much. I think it was 5-6 months. I initially thought is could not be since I "just" had it. I went to the doctor and told them about these series of bug bites that were so painful. I thought they were spider bites that got infected. Guess what... it took me three weeks to even ask the doctor. If you start seeing/feeling signs, maybe you should go back and check with your doctor... I really feel for you missy. :-o And I never had the immunization. I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

Hi LLJsmom, thanks for the info. I am feeling better today and will take the week of antivirals. I am planning on getting the vaccination when I fully recover because that will reduce a chance of future outbreaks and as I previously posted even if another outbreak occurs it should be more mild of an outbreak and there will be less of a chance of it causing post herpetic neuralgia -which is a big concern/possible consequence of shingles. Perhaps ask your doctor about the shingles vaccination for future protection?

Glad you are fully recovered from your 2 outbreaks LLJsmom!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Missy,

Still thinking of you!

Does this sound like your current burning sensation?

Postherpetic neuralgia is pain that persists after an episode of shingles (herpes zoster) has resolved, resulting from damaged nerve fibers from the shingles.

Full text: http://www.mayo.edu/research/departments-divisions/department-neurology/programs/peripheral-nerve-disorders

or

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postherpetic-neuralgia/basics/symptoms/con-20023743

Would this help?

http://www.lyrica.com/PHN/understanding-pain-after-shingles-and-symptoms

I'm sure your docs have checked this, but throwing it all out there.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1395199612|3637007 said:
Missy,

Still thinking of you!

Does this sound like your current burning sensation?

Postherpetic neuralgia is pain that persists after an episode of shingles (herpes zoster) has resolved, resulting from damaged nerve fibers from the shingles.

Full text: http://www.mayo.edu/research/departments-divisions/department-neurology/programs/peripheral-nerve-disorders

or

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postherpetic-neuralgia/basics/symptoms/con-20023743

Would this help?

http://www.lyrica.com/PHN/understanding-pain-after-shingles-and-symptoms

I'm sure your docs have checked this, but throwing it all out there.

Thanks so much iLander. You are a doll. I asked my doctors about the possibility and all 3 of them said it wasn't (unfortunately because now I wish this was the cause). The burning is not in the area I had my shingles outbreak and it is over too diffuse an area. Thank you for trying to brainstorm and come up with what is causing these intolerable symptoms-I so appreciate you thinking of me.

I have my own theories but that was knocked down by all of my doctors as well. I still think this horrible burning is associated with my severe esophagitis somehow though they say it is not possible. I just feel somehow it is all related. I just wish one of the doctors could put the pieces together for me because these symptoms are distressing and the not knowing (and not knowing what to do for relief) is overwhelming. And I really hope the meds they put me on start working (better)...4 plus weeks and counting now.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you feel better soon!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"

Shingles Vaccine Offers 4 Years of Protection​

Brittany Vargas
January 11, 2024

Two doses of the recombinant zoster vaccine (RZV) are effective against herpes zoster (HZ) for 4 years after vaccination, according to a new study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Findings from the prospective cohort study showed that people who received two doses of the vaccine, regardless of when they received their second dose, experienced 79% vaccine effectiveness (VE) during the first year, with effectiveness decreasing to 73% by year 4. By contrast, the rate of effectiveness during the first year was 70% for people who received a single dose, falling to 52% effectiveness by year 4.
The findings also showed that the rate of effectiveness was 65% for those taking corticosteroids.

The study was conducted between 2018 and 2022 using data from the Vaccine Safety Datalink, a collaboration between the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and nine healthcare systems across the country.
Researchers evaluated the incidence of HZ, as determined by a diagnosis and prescription for antiviral medication within 7 days of diagnosis, and monitored RZV status over time.

The findings may quell fears that waiting too long for the second dose reduces the effectiveness of the herpes vaccine, according to Nicola Klein, MD, PhD, director of the Vaccine Study Center at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland, California, who led the study.

The long-term efficacy of the vaccine is especially important because older adults are now living much longer than in previous years, according to Alexandra Tien, MD, a family physician at Medical Associates of Rhode Island in Providence.
"People live these days into their 80s and even 90s," Tien said. "That's a large number of years to need protection for, so it's really important to have a long-lasting vaccine."
The CDC currently recommends two doses of RZV separated by 2-6 months for patients aged 50 years and older. Adults older than 19 years who are immunocompromised should receive two doses of RZV separated by 1-2 months, the agency said.

According to Klein, research does not show whether VE for RZV wanes after 4 years. But interim findings from another study following people in clinical trials found VE levels remained high after 7 years.
The risk for HZ increases with age, reaching a lifetime risk of 50% among adults aged 85 years. Complications like postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) — characterized by long-term tingling, numbness, and disabling pain at the site of the rash — can interfere with the quality of life and ability to function in older adults. The CDC estimates that up to 18% of people with shingles experience PHN, and the risk increases with age.
Just like with any other vaccine, patients sometimes have concerns about the potential side effects of RZV, said Tien. But those effects, such as muscle pain, nausea, and fever, are mild compared to shingles.
"I always tell patients, with any vaccine, immunization is one of the biggest bangs for your buck in healthcare because you're preventing a problem," Tien said.
This study was funded by the CDC through contracts with participating sites. Study authors reported no disclosures. Tien reported no disclosures.
Brittany Vargas is a medicine, mental health, and wellness journalist.

"

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made my parents get the shingles vaccine when they became eligible. I’ve seen how bad it can be with patients, and even best case scenario when you get it is that you’re miserable and in pain. They didn’t put up any resistance lol. Luckily they will usually take my guidance on medical things given my MD, unless we’re talking about fad diets or fertility, cause then my mom is convinced she knows better ‍♀️. To this day she yells at me for eating things that are too cold and will shock my ovaries.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made my parents get the shingles vaccine when they became eligible. I’ve seen how bad it can be with patients, and even best case scenario when you get it is that you’re miserable and in pain. They didn’t put up any resistance lol. Luckily they will usually take my guidance on medical things given my MD, unless we’re talking about fad diets or fertility, cause then my mom is convinced she knows better ‍♀️. To this day she yells at me for eating things that are too cold and will shock my ovaries.

LOL only parents can give us this kind of grief. My mom is very very stubborn but they did both get the shingles vaccine at my recommendation.

And yes I agree. You do not want to mess with shingles. Both my dh and I had shingles already. I had it approximately 10 years ago and my dh had it approximately 25 years ago. We both got the two vaccines a couple of years ago but unfortunately looks like it's not a two and done. Looks like it is advised to get the series every four years...

ETA: I posted in the wrong thread...I was searching for the shingles vaccine thread but I will leave this standing as it is a good reminder to all to get the shingles vaccine

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have already gotten the first one and I will be scheduling the 2nd one soon...my daughter in law got shingles at the ripe old age of 36...she was miserable for like 6-8 weeks she made my promise to get the vaccine...so I did.....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results