shape
carat
color
clarity

Colored stone possibilities for my sis?!?

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Hello. I am asking for guidance in determining best options for engagement ring stones for my sister. Fingers crossed that a proposal is coming soon for her. :) I want to be ready just in case her guy comes to me for help.

She does not like diamonds, not even for accents. She likes emeralds and rubies. I think I remember reading that emeralds are not good for daily wear. Also, I know the budget will be quite limited. They are both serving in the Air Force and she is not one to be willing to spend much on jewelry.

So, I am looking for gems that will give a nice, saturated emerald green or ruby red color that will hold up well for daily wear and not break the bank. Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, words of wisdom or just plain well wishes for my sister. She has been through so much and deserves incredible happiness.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's her budget??

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Without a budget in mind, I can't pick out stones for you, but perhaps a tsav garnet would be a good choice for a green stone or a red spinel for a red choice :)

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
purplesparklies said:
So, I am looking for gems that will give a nice, saturated emerald green or ruby red color that will hold up well for daily wear and not break the bank..

endless_summer said:
Without a budget in mind, I can't pick out stones for you, but perhaps a tsav garnet would be a good choice for a green stone or a red spinel for a red choice :)

I'm going to be honest and say that if either of those colors are highly saturated and not overly dark/light, these specimens won't be cheap or easy to find unless they're tiny.

How small would she be ok with? A budget would help a lot too. When I think cheap, I think of a stone under $300-200....and that would make it quite challenging.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
tsav garnet while lovely is NOT a 24/7 e-ring stone.
a small spinel might be the one for her.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea what the budget is but I'm guessing that emeralds and rubies will not make the list. I also don't know what stone size she'd prefer.

I don't know of any saturated emerald green stone that will hold up to daily wear. Tsavorite and chrome tourmaline will not fare well. Chrysoberyl has too much yellow. A cabochon tsavorite will fare better and in a small size, is probably affordable. Sapphire does not do green well, showing a lot of gray.

Spinel comes in red and will hold up well but depending on the size, could be very expensive. Ruby red spinel will be extremely expensive though. Red garnet and tourmaline will be less expensive but not fare well. A smaller size spinel with an orange modifier might be doable.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Virginia, I believe marymm is a pricescoper....... I only mention this because I think that anytime we point to a listing that is not a vendor listing it is good to have as much info as possible. but this is only my own practice and I'm not suggesting that everyone will and/or should do it. and there may be more info in the "preloved" section on this forum about this stone.
this particular stone is dark and imo will be darker in person.
in this instance, I'd go with a red garnet instead knowing full well that over time I would probably replace the stone.

I much prefer this spinel: http://thegemtrader.com/Nov12BSpinelPage.htm
yes, it is a cab but it has better color and would make a lovely ring.....and e-ring as well.

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
movie zombie|1395160523|3636506 said:
Virginia, I believe marymm is a pricescoper....... I only mention this because I think that anytime we point to a listing that is not a vendor listing it is good to have as much info as possible. but this is only my own practice and I'm not suggesting that everyone will and/or should do it. and there may be more info in the "preloved" section on this forum about this stone.

Thanks for the additional information Movie Zombie. I've been lurking for ages but am still trying to understand the cultural norms of this forum. :)) And sometimes I'm a bit of a slow learner when it comes to online interactions. :rolleyes:

I agree that the stone is a bit darker, but figured another budget-friendly option wouldn't hurt? Though I seem to be incapable of finding a link to it in the pre-loved section. :(sad

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1395160523|3636506 said:
this particular stone is dark and imo will be darker in person.
in this instance, I'd go with a red garnet instead knowing full well that over time I would probably replace the stone.

I much prefer this spinel: http://thegemtrader.com/Nov12BSpinelPage.htm
yes, it is a cab but it has better color and would make a lovely ring.....and e-ring as well.
Can you post a pic I can't get the link to work c

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.50 ct. Burmese Red Spinel Cabochon
Color: Medium Dark Red
Clarity: Slightly Included
Origin: Burma
Cut: Oval Cabochon
Treatments: None
Measurements: 7.1 x 5.2 mm
$145 / carat - $217 total

nov12rspinelcabi.gif

nov12rspinelcabii.gif

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the recommendations and guidance. I do not have a budget just yet. Sis' guy hasn't reached out yet I want to be prepared. I was able to get just the limited info on her preferences color-wise. Sad to hear that Tsavorite garnets are a no-go, wear wise. Such beautiful color!

I don't get to see my sister often but we will be together for a couple of days at the end of this month. I will show her the suggested options and hopefully narrow down her preferences so I can be ready when the time comes. :) :) :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I love that spinel can. I'd set it in a bezel setting like this. You wouldn't need diamonds in that at all.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1395164671.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that a cab tsav might be do-able.
I think cabs are just way more durable anyway.......of course, there is still the risk one could hit it "just right/wrong" and have damage. having said that I wear each time i leave the house i wear a very very very large cab grey/chocolate moonstone and have for years w/o damaging it.

and I do love that setting, Niel! even an east/west orientation would work [instead of north/south].
if diamonds were an absolute must two tiny tiny tiny ones could replace the gold "dots".
my preference would be w/o, though....but it isn't for me is it?!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MZ I think she said she doesn't even want side stones. No diamonds at all. So that works in the bed get favor.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know she said she didn't want A Diamond.....but the setting you posted allows her the option of having side stones AND changing the orientation should she so desire. it is a great setting with lots of possibilities and great as it is. not wanting A Diamond is not the same as being ok with side stones........personally, I wouldn't want them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1395183240|3636815 said:
I know she said she didn't want A Diamond.....but the setting you posted allows her the option of having side stones AND changing the orientation should she so desire. it is a great setting with lots of possibilities and great as it is. not wanting A Diamond is not the same as being ok with side stones........personally, I wouldn't want them.

I was just basing my statement of her not wanting side stones off this comment.

She does not like diamonds, not even for accents.

I agree I think east west could be cool too. And it definitely wouldn't need accents to make it look engagement-y.

But who to do it for a fair price I wonder

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't catch the "even as side stones".......but it certainly is an option should she change her mind.
I certainly changed my mind lots about what I wanted........

yes, that is the big question: who to make it for a reasonable price. it doesn't look complicated but then what do I know?!
and unless it is tweaked a bit the wedding band would need to be custom made....assuming they do wedding bands. I think some e-rings can function as both.

that really was a great find, Niel!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think even though the w band would sit far away from the actual shank of the e ring, it would still be attractive looking. Like a vintage engraved band or a simple twisty one like Tiffany's and lots of etsy vendors sell.

But were getting ahead of ourself hahaha

We don't even know if she's like it let alone the budget.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
royalstarrynight|1395100730|3636124 said:
purplesparklies said:
So, I am looking for gems that will give a nice, saturated emerald green or ruby red color that will hold up well for daily wear and not break the bank..

endless_summer said:

I'm going to be honest and say that if either of those colors are highly saturated and not overly dark/light, these specimens won't be cheap or easy to find unless they're tiny.

How small would she be ok with? A budget would help a lot too. When I think cheap, I think of a stone under $300-200....and that would make it quite challenging.

True those are two of the harder to find with a budget gems. There is always spinel or tsavorite but those can be tough to find as well. But maybe if you stick to a 6mm round. Kind of standard size that is easy to find a setting for.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree re both: would look very vintage AND we are way ahead on design for something we have no idea will ever happen! and may even have a larger budget than we think!

I also think the design with the right stone would be killer in silver........

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Niel said:
Wow I love that spinel can. I'd set it in a bezel setting like this. You wouldn't need diamonds in that at all.

Oooohhhhhh.....Niel, I love this! Seriously. I might need something like this for me! :)

I can't wait to show her these options. I will definitely post here once we get to shopping time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results