shape
carat
color
clarity

Jackie Kennedy's engagement ring as a Mothers ring

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Hello to all!

I am in the process of having Jackie Kennedys engagement ring made as a Mothers ring. To help with the CADS I have been trying to find a hand-shot of it and have been unsuccessful. It's such a shame, or crime(lol), that a gorgous ring like that has very few glamour shots. I hate to impose on everyone, but I am hoping that my eagle-eyed PS friends might turn up something.

Thanks so much,
PattyCo

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, no handshots, but I don't think I have ever seen her ring before, so I just posted them!

jackiekring2.jpg

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
IIRC, QVC did replicas of a bunch of Jackie's jewelry several years ago and this was one of the pieces they copied. I know it's not the original, but might be worth a search to see what images turn up.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much Diamondseeker2006, those are great pictures, and I actually sent the first one to the jeweler 2 weeks ago to show him what I wanted :).

I am looking for a picture of it on a hand. I am trying to picture if the green emerald and white diamond sit at an angle when the ring is on the finger or if they sit more "straight", if you know what I mean.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The picture is saying 'redesigned'. I think the one qvc had on their show in the UK was just the green emerald with marquise diamonds
around it and it did not have a large emerald cut diamond. Unless they have done another one after.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Your post got me interested and I looked around a little online. If I am correct the image posted on here is the 1962 redesign of the ring. Small round and marquise diamonds were added. I believe the original had the two large stones, emerald and white diamond, and some baguette side stones. I do not know if you just like the design or were trying to duplicate her ring. I am not sure I am correct but this is what I got from some online reading. A google images search brought one picture that had a small circle picture on it that had a hand shot with wedding band. I believe that was of the original design. I also read after his death she had the original design restored, but I also saw a picture dated 1999 that showed the redesigned ring so this may not be true. I need to search some more and see where the ring is now. I hope this helps some.

ps I believe it was purchased from Van Cleef and Arpels maybe that could be a source of info

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Crown1 :wavey: ,

I am trying to duplicate the 1962 redesign. The one where the marquise and rounds were added, except I am going to use 2 square stones. I am trying to find a picture of it on the hand so I can see if the 2 center stones are set on an angle or are set "straight". I fell in love with this ring years ago and thought it would make a beautiful mothers ring. Well, I am now trying to make it a reality and am working with a wonderful PS vender but to my eye his CADS seemed to show the 2 center stones as being almost kite-set. I also reallize there is a swoopiness to the marquises that might just give that impression. So, I have been trying to find an image of the ring on a finger to see if this is correct

I have googled images of Jackie Kennedy engagement ring, Van Cleef and Arpels emerald Kennedy ring, Jackie Kennedy estate, Kennedy emerald ring, Kennedy Center gift shop, etc....and none of the results show the ring on a hand. Which is a shame because it is so unique.

Thanks for your help :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crown1|1395112647|3636208 said:
Your post got me interested and I looked around a little online. If I am correct the image posted on here is the 1962 redesign of the ring. Small round and marquise diamonds were added. I believe the original had the two large stones, emerald and white diamond, and some baguette side stones. I do not know if you just like the design or were trying to duplicate her ring. I am not sure I am correct but this is what I got from some online reading. A google images search brought one picture that had a small circle picture on it that had a hand shot with wedding band. I believe that was of the original design. I also read after his death she had the original design restored, but I also saw a picture dated 1999 that showed the redesigned ring so this may not be true. I need to search some more and see where the ring is now. I hope this helps some.

ps I believe it was purchased from Van Cleef and Arpels maybe that could be a source of info

That second picture I posted says:

The emerald and diamond engagement ring of Jacqueline Kennedy sits atop the initialed humidor belonging to late husband and former President John F. Kennedy at the John F. Kennedy library and museum, Thursday, Sept. 10, 1999, in Boston. The items are part of the JFK library exhibit "Treasure of the John F. Kennedy Library," which will run Oct. 9 through May 1, 2000. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

So it apparently was not changed back to the original setting.

This link had some interesting details about their engagement and wedding (but no pic of original ring):

http://www.jfklibrary.org/About-Us/News-and-Press/Press-Releases/Special-Exhibit-Celebrates-50th-Anniversary-of-the-Wedding-of-Jacqueline-Bouvier-and-John-F-Kennedy.aspx

Purchased in the summer of 1953, the Van Cleef & Arpels engagement ring John F. Kennedy presented to Jacqueline Bouvier consisted of one 2.88 carat diamond mounted next to a 2.84 carat emerald cut emerald with tapered baguettes. In 1962, the ring was reset to include round diamonds totaling .66 carats and marquise diamonds totaling 1.46 carats.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I have nothing really to add except a desperate plea to please come back and post pictures if you have your ring made 8) :appl:

I love Jackie's style and anything art deco! Please post completed shots so I can oogle!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks SB621, all I have right now are CADS. Do you want to see those? You might have to tell me how to post a picture, :lol:.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Here are the 2 CADS I have been sent.

cd643_white.jpg

cd643_image_before_setting.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's going to be a stunning ring - and to be honest, I prefer the proportions to those of the original!

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you VRBeauty :D !

I really wanted to to match Jackies ring with an elongated yellow stone and a square blue one, but only 2 squares in the colors I wanted were available. The CADS look like they are "kite-set" which is why I am searching for a hand-shot of some sort so I can see how the center stones "lay" when the ring is worn. The jeweler is going to try the CADS one more time to see if the squares can be straightened without loosing any "swoopyness" of the marquises.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - I DO have a picture of it somewhere in a book,just not sure if I have time to look; things are really hectic here. She later took it apart and had it remade in a different style, although that's not really apropos to your project.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
motownmama|1395183961|3636823 said:
OMG - I DO have a picture of it somewhere in a book,just not sure if I have time to look; things are really hectic here. She later took it apart and had it remade in a different style, although that's not really apropos to your project.

On a finger or hand??? WOW!!!

I am EXCITED to see it!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The original 1953 Van Cleef and Arpell ring had graduated baguettes. In 1962 she reset it with marquises and rounds. I have so many books on both jewelry and Kennedys, that I can't remember which pile in which to look.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a little bit of a different angle on it

jackie_kennedy1.jpg

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I also have this picture of it.

jackie_ring.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
I do not think the maker can or will copy it exactly. I may be wrong about this but I do not think it is acceptable to copy it exactly. Maybe that would explain the "kite setting" you perceive.

I am interested in why the on finger pics are not out there. I have read several things that make me curious. One that most of her pricey jewels were in vault, she mostly was photographed with her plain band and the emerald ten year anniversary band, she often was wearing white gloves and was reported to be a nail biter. I am wondering if it was a comfortable ring to wear.

I have not been able to determine where the ring is now. Anyone know? The last sighting I know of was the 50 year anniversary of the wedding museum showing.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wondered why there are no good pictures of her wearing her ring... maybe it just wasn't the thing to do at that time? I have a picture-heavy book that focuses on State dinners and such held at the white house. Fortunately book pays a lot of attention to her gowns :love: ; unfortunately she wears wrist-length gloves in most of the pictures!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love engagement ring stories and mysteries. We all know that Jackie O had great taste and everything she did was planned. But I wonder if she had any input in the design of her ER. From bios that I have read it seems that Jackie and not JFK had the upperhand in deciding if the engagement was to go forward. As Jackie had very strong opinions it seems that he would not have surprised her with the ring-especially with the unusual design of including a colored gem for the era. Without knowing any of the details I can only assume that the emerald represented Ireland as the Kennedy's were so proud of their Irish heritage. Again I assume that Jackie was OK with it as European royalty rings often had colored gems. But to have the ring redesigned later on tells me that perhaps she was not so happy with the orignal design and had to put the Jackie O touch. Be that as it may, IMHO it is a beautiful ring but not one I would have chosen for my ER especially for a 1950's wedding. It is a gorgeous RHR. If JFK wanted a emerald he could have given one as an engagement present in another form. I would have gone for a big, huge diamond set in plat with big side stones. I think that only Caroline now knows the only truth in the engangement ring story.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Halleluajah!!!!

After searching gooogle images with a fine-toothed comb I have found one, thanks to pinkpillbox.com.

jackies_ring.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
PattyCo|1395244174|3637325 said:
Halleluajah!!!!

After searching gooogle images with a fine-toothed comb I have found one, thanks to pinkpillbox.com.

Wow, I would never have guessed that was the ring. Not second guessing you just would not have known. It looks very large on her hand and that probably says a lot of why it is not seen in many photos. I do see the large colored stone and smaller white diamonds but not the large white diamond. Must be the turn of the ring on her hand. Interesting.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
lambskin|1395205276|3637047 said:
I love engagement ring stories and mysteries. We all know that Jackie O had great taste and everything she did was planned. But I wonder if she had any input in the design of her ER. From bios that I have read it seems that Jackie and not JFK had the upperhand in deciding if the engagement was to go forward. As Jackie had very strong opinions it seems that he would not have surprised her with the ring-especially with the unusual design of including a colored gem for the era. Without knowing any of the details I can only assume that the emerald represented Ireland as the Kennedy's were so proud of their Irish heritage. Again I assume that Jackie was OK with it as European royalty rings often had colored gems. But to have the ring redesigned later on tells me that perhaps she was not so happy with the orignal design and had to put the Jackie O touch. Be that as it may, IMHO it is a beautiful ring but not one I would have chosen for my ER especially for a 1950's wedding. It is a gorgeous RHR. If JFK wanted a emerald he could have given one as an engagement present in another form. I would have gone for a big, huge diamond set in plat with big side stones. I think that only Caroline now knows the only truth in the engangement ring story.

I have no claim to authority on this subject. I am just a history buff and jewel fan. The only time I have researched this is when this thread was started. I did read that Joe Kennedy selected the ring. Supposedly he and Jack Kennedy went shopping for it. Mr. Kennedy was supposedly very in favor of his son marrying Jackie B. as he found her to be a woman with class. Again this is just something I read and there is a lot of misinformation out there. Your theory about the green being for Ireland seems to go along with the info I read. This ring has great monetary value due to the size of the two large stones and it's history that makes me wonder if it is still in tact and in the family. I am interested in knowing if anyone has info. I know it is not something most would allow to get out of the family but there are different strokes and it does have great value.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
My dilema is my interpretation of my CADS. Do they look like the original ring?

cd643_image_before_0.jpg

jackie_1.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I THINK Caroline Kennedy owns the ring and I THINK it's been previously displayed temporarily at the Kennedy museum (but ... this good be a case of "garbage in/garbage out - sorry if I'm dreaming all this.....)

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
PattyCo|1395252550|3637399 said:
My dilema is my interpretation of my CADS. Do they look like the original ring?
Back to helping you. Sorry for getting off task. I know nothing of cad images. To my eye only similar. But I know nothing so only answered to be respectful of your quandary. The marquise stones on the right do not come even with the colored stone as in the picture but above them. Sorry I can not be more helpful. Hopefully some persons with cad experience will come along.

eta: why not start a new thread asking for cad assistance? it might get you the help you require.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the CAD looks fairly similar. If the Jackie O ring looks large on her hand, each of the 2 stones was 2.8 CTW - so the proportions may be a little different. Fun project - Best of luck! I'm sure some CAD experts will chime in soon.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for the help!

To my eye it seems that the blue and yellow stones might be more "on-point" than the original ring. Then again I am noooooo expert so I value imput from others. I am happy with my jeweler and his serviced, it's just me I am not sure about :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results