shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you feel guilty if someone asked you this Q..

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
I would say no.
The purchases I make aren't frequent. We always made making sure we had enough funds for such purchase.

That said, we donate to charities and sponsor two kids in different countries. We also give to missionaries.
And we also help my disabled brother in law who is in a different country.

So I don't feel guilty, because I know where our priorities lie.

Besides, I've also noticed most of those comments come from people less likely to help others.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1394947618|3635030 said:
do you know how many hungry children you can feed with that rock on your finger?

There are members on watch forums whom wanted to make people feel guilty about buying expensive watches.

making a comment like...why don't you buy a $5K watch instead of a $25k watch and donate $20k to charity?..a lot of good karmas will be heading your way in the future.
I got a lot of comments like that at work and it's why I stopped wearing my rings at work, simply because I work with a lot of people day to day that are in desperate situations, and I hate to make them feel lesser. I don't know if I consider that guilt as much as compassion.

I have cut a few people out in my everyday life for such comments though, for telling me how I should spend my money and behaving in otherwise obnoxious manners related to how I should spend my money, ie chastising me for my rings, trying to weasel me into buying meals for them because I am "so rich," and the like. My charitable donations make no matter to most people because I don't talk about that stuff, but everyone has their opinion on how you should spend your money, and they have no idea what your finances are. We save a ton of money in our retirement plans and our savings and give lots of money to help others. That's no one's business.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. My rock was cheap, only $1800 (0.77 J VS1). If I had a super expensive ring, I probably would feel guilty.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm typically a very easy-going person. I'm upbeat, optimistic, and go out of my way to be nice to people. However, in real life a question like this would seriously piss me off, and I would no doubt shoot back an equally offensive answer...probably something along the lines of, "Well, our four children are well fed and our bills are paid, so I'm not too worried about it."

For those who feel the need to make a comment about purchasing a $5k watch instead of a $25k one and donating $20k to charity...well, that would tick me off even further and I'd probably tell them, "Sorry, we're Republicans, not Democrats." That should shut them up and leave them speechless, and I could go about my business. The safe and polite answer would be, "That's kind of personal, don't you think?"

It's NOBODY'S business what you paid for a piece of jewelry, a car, clothing, etc. It's even less of their business what kind of charitable contributions you make. There's a reason that the three big taboos during dinner conversation are politics, religion, and finances. It's even more inappropriate in the workplace. Unfortunately, people feel they are anonymous on the internet and that they can be rude in a forum where they would never open their mouths and spew forth the same venom in real life.

Dancing Fire|1394947618|3635030 said:
do you know how many hungry children you can feed with that rock on your finger?

There are members on watch forums whom wanted to make people feel guilty about buying expensive watches.

making a comment like...why don't you buy a $5K watch instead of a $25k watch and donate $20k to charity?..a lot of good karmas will be heading your way in the future.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1395059857|3635721 said:
but what would you actually reply if someone asked you this question in real life? a relative, a friend, a work acquaintance or a complete stranger?

I don't think on my feet very well so would reply something really lame and then think of something great to say later :razz:

If someone I knew in RL said this type of stuff, I'd walk away from them because the person would clearly be trying to cause drama. I'm sick of this nonsense. I actually didn't wear my diamonds around family for a long time because every time I did, there was eye rolling or scoffing and my diamonds are REALLY SMALL compared to what others wear. I found even if I wear a pair of modest studs, I still get the rude behavior...and, you know what? I've decided to wear all my stuff everywhere now... I had to give up trying to make everyone happy but it's too damn exhausting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results