shape
carat
color
clarity

I need help please with OEM

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
Im new to this forum but i love all the beautiful antique cuts diamonds you guys post. Ive on the hunt for a decent size and clarity OEM, I kinda found 3 and I don't know which one should i buy.
1- 1.53 carats L color clarity SI2 EGL 68426519D
2- 0.97 carats I color clarity SI1 EGL 909945913D
3- 1.01 carats K color Clarity VS1 waiting on the vert fixate?

can you guys help me price its almost the same for all of them just diamond 2 is a loose diamond the other 2 have white gold bands plain.

please help!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What the heck is an OEM?
Old Mine Brilliant (OMB) or Old European Cut (OEC).

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
OMG OLD EUROPEAN CUT!! after 12 hrs of work i think my brains doesn't make any sense sorry!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
After all your hours of research you don't realize we need pictures? Beacause OECs are fancies. You buy from light return and faceting. They MRB's that you can buy from the numbers and stats.

So please link us, or upload pictures.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have the certificates or access to them the numbers - table size, crown height and depth etc might be useful as well. I agree pictures are good.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1394944576|3635005 said:
After all your hours of research you don't realize we need pictures? Beacause OECs are fancies. You buy from light return and faceting. They MRB's that you can buy from the numbers and stats.

So please link us, or upload pictures.
ok i got pictures!!! first 2 pics are from the L diamond, 3 and 4 front he I, 5 from the K/

__57-1.jpg

__14.jpg

screen_shot_2014-03-15_at_0.png

screen_shot_2014-03-15_at_1.png

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
i forgot the K 1.01

screen_shot_2014-03-15_at_2.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the K a GIA or EGL stone?

And what are the prices on these? I'm not liking any of them.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
No i don't think it has a certificate. they are all 3k

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where are you located and where is the first diamond?

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
im in Canada, all the 3 diamonds are in the states. I was thinking in re polish the L diamond maybe get it to be 7.25? or so. what do you think?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Polishing is another word for cutting. There is no way to polish a diamond without using the cutting wheel.

There is risk. And insurance won't cover that risk. Neither will the vendor.

Now, I personally have bought several old cuts and had them partially recut/polished.

But I've always had return policies, good ones. And I've sent the diamonds to BGD for evaluation during the return policy to have Brian tell me if it was a good candidate for a reasonably safe recut/polish. And if Brian didn't think it was a good idea, I've returned them.

Also a recut is 350 or so a carat plus shipping. So it is an investment.

And Brian has also been able to tell me if color and clarity ratings were accurate.

So I'm not going to say it's a bad idea. It's not. But there are risks and you need to be aware of that.

If you can get a 2-3 week return policy to be able to have the seller send the diamond to a cutter for evaluation that would be the best thing. Then if it is, you keep it and have it cut. If it's not the vendor sends it back for you.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
do you have the link or email where i can contact them?? I heard good comments of single stone, but i didn't know another company to send it too so I'm happy to have options. I love the ones you send me too bad that they are not 6.5mm at least thats what I've been looking for between 6.5mm to 7.5mm. but it so hard to find old cuts. and I love how they look. the vendor send me a video of the 0.97 and looks beautiful and so white, (honestly i prefer warmer stones) but i love all the colours that reflects, but at the same time with the L stone i get 1mm more in size with a warmer colour. my limit for a center stone its around 3k

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
BGD is Brian Gavin Diamonds-- tell them Gypsy referred you for an old cut recut, and that you want to talk to Leslie or Brian only. You may have to make an appointment to call back.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/

They've done all my recuts. And Brian is very honest and a straight shooter.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Gypsy Ill email them tomorrow and i hope everything goes well :(. I've been looking for so long for my stone this is the first time I'm so close to get it :(

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don't email. Call.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper and easier to find a decent stone to begin with rather than recutting? Adam at Old World Diamonds it the zen master at recutting OECs. Again if you want to contact him call don't email.

You could probably find something that is a decent cut on ebay for that budget if you are willing to search a lot. Otherwise no.1 the biggest deepest stone to my eye is the best candidate for a possibly recut, if it is actually an eyeclean SI2 (EGL is always less reliable than GIA) if it is not eyeclean then it is probably not worth messing with.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Original Equpment Manufacturer :) I used to deal with them before retirement. :)

Gypsy|1394942652|3634996 said:
What the heck is an OEM?
Old Mine Brilliant (OMB) or Old European Cut (OEC).

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1394978202|3635149 said:
Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper and easier to find a decent stone to begin with rather than recutting? Adam at Old World Diamonds it the zen master at recutting OECs. Again if you want to contact him call don't email.

You could probably find something that is a decent cut on ebay for that budget if you are willing to search a lot. Otherwise no.1 the biggest deepest stone to my eye is the best candidate for a possibly recut, if it is actually an eyeclean SI2 (EGL is always less reliable than GIA) if it is not eyeclean then it is probably not worth messing with.

Yeah I'm getting a video today of that stone so will see, I like the size of the stone and i like that is in the warmer side colours, but I have been looking on ebay for the longest!!! and I can't find something in that size for my price range :(.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know Gypsy said she didn 't like any of the three. I haven't really studied old cut but read some of the posts including
Dreamers guide. I just thought the first one looked a bit like Mara's diamond to me, although a lot smaller as hers is over
3 carats? Is this cut a lot different from her cut?

Mara's diamond, the culet looks smaller though and maybe the light return is better?

what-s-old-is-new-my-3-33-k-si2-oec-t176124.html

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Can a repolish change the table size? The table size on 1 seems really small to me (and according to David Atlas's screening chart (https://www.pricescope.com/journal/screening_chart_old_european_cut_diamonds).

OP, I'm actually in the market for a stone with similar specs and here is what Charlie from GoG said to me "A GIA graded 1.25 JSI1 OEC would cost $6350." And you know what they say about tattoos (and diamonds): cheap diamonds aren't good, and good diamonds aren't cheap. I'm sure there are deals to be had, but I'm with Gypsy on this one. Go with a smaller stone from JbEG.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
Pyramid|1394998230|3635341 said:
I know Gypsy said she didn 't like any of the three. I haven't really studied old cut but read some of the posts including
Dreamers guide. I just thought the first one looked a bit like Mara's diamond to me, although a lot smaller as hers is over
3 carats? Is this cut a lot different from her cut?

Mara's diamond, the culet looks smaller though and maybe the light return is better?

what-s-old-is-new-my-3-33-k-si2-oec-t176124.html

I saw the post i think is the same cut. just the cutlet its smaller

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back through the old posts, Mara's stone (I think the one you are comparing this to) is table 46% and depth 64%.

Mara went and looked at several stones in person before she picked hers. You probably need to do that as well. Gypsy has some of the best eyes on here when it comes to cuts and I am with her, the first one is an average cut, unless it's a bad pic, the other two are dogs.

Your second choice has a huge table and it looks like fish eye going on around the middle of it. The third one is in a pretty setting but also looks dark in the centre and your first choice needs a girdle re-polish and also has a lot of darkness in the centre, the cut pattern in the centre is messy. You need to get a photo of it straight on not tilted. You stone is not as deep and has a shallower pavilion depth, I would guess than Mara's stone.

A good cutter like the ones Adam at OWD uses might be able to fix the girdle even out the shape and improve the dark dead areas in the centre of the stone. I think buying a smaller better cut diamond might still be a better option.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
I found this other one on ebay, is a 1.05 c. round European cut diamond measuring 6.6 MM in diameter of J color and I1 clarity with no chips or cracks. The diamond is superbly cut, polished and proportioned with a 60% depth, 57% table, very small culet and a medium polished faceted girdle. what do you guys think? better that diamond 1?

__15.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Is that the correct picture? Because that's not a European cut. It's a modern round, arrows and all.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks like a round brilliant cut with hearts and arrows, in a modern setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one is the best one of the three largely because it looks clean, the faceting has promise, and the size. But all those mouse bites at the girdle have me concerned coupled with the clarity. USUALLY mousebites are not part of the clarity grade. So I am concerned that it is an SI2 with mousebites on to of just the SI2 clarity which would not be good. If however the clarity is based on the mousebites and facet abrasions for some reason and it is otherwise pretty clean internally, then it may be worth rehabbing the stone. And Brian can possibly do a small pavillion tweak to improve the performance of the stone if there is a need, while maintaining the faceting and the character of the stone. And I know that he can do it, because he's done it for me in the past.

And if the 1.5 carat stone IS clean (except for the mousebites and other surface issues) then for 3k, I'd probably take a risk on it.

The 4th stone is a MRB not an OEC.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you can get bigger pictures of the K there's a chance it could be a decent stone. But we'd need much bigger and better pics.

sivette1979

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1395026687|3635618 said:
The first one is the best one of the three largely because it looks clean, the faceting has promise, and the size. But all those mouse bites at the girdle have me concerned coupled with the clarity. USUALLY mousebites are not part of the clarity grade. So I am concerned that it is an SI2 with mousebites on to of just the SI2 clarity which would not be good. If however the clarity is based on the mousebites and facet abrasions for some reason and it is otherwise pretty clean internally, then it may be worth rehabbing the stone. And Brian can possibly do a small pavillion tweak to improve the performance of the stone if there is a need, while maintaining the faceting and the character of the stone. And I know that he can do it, because he's done it for me in the past.

And if the 1.5 carat stone IS clean (except for the mousebites and other surface issues) then for 3k, I'd probably take a risk on it.

The 4th stone is a MRB not an OEC.

Gypsy look at the pic from the EGL report showing where the imperfections are.

its being sold as OEC, damn :( its an I1 but looks very clear

__57-3.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results