shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about feathers

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
I don't really want a VS2 or SI1 diamond with a feather in it. And it seems a lot of diamonds graded SI1 have a feather as the main inclusion grade. I'm not sure if a feather helps keep the diamond eye clean if its graded SI1. How do you feel about them?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
CrazyBirdLady|1394789823|3633878 said:
I don't really want a VS2 or SI1 diamond with a feather in it. And it seems a lot of diamonds graded SI1 have a feather as the main inclusion grade. I'm not sure if a feather helps keep the diamond eye clean if its graded SI1. How do you feel about them?
It's usualy a case by case issue.
The position of the feather within the Diamond will depend if an SI1 is eyeclean or not.
The majority of feathers are safe as they survived the cutting and polishing process but Diamonds might be the most hard material but they are prone to damage when hit as they are brittle.

I know PS has an article on this issue, maybe someone will be able to point you towards this article.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Whether or not a feather will be eye-clean is dependent on several variables like size, color saturation of feather, and location. It is very likey that a VS2 graded diamond will be eye clean.

The way I feel about it is pretty simple... If a diamond has a feather inclusion and I can see it fairly easily with an unaided eye, then no... I don't want the stone. If a diamond has a feather that doesn't affect the structural integrity and it is not visible, then I am 100% okay with it. Only you can decide what is eye-clean to you, as it is very subjective and can only be determined on an individual basis. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem|1394791115|3633886 said:
It's usualy a case by case issue.
The position of the feather within the Diamond will depend if an SI1 is eyeclean or not.
The majority of feathers are safe as they survived the cutting and polishing process but Diamonds might be the most hard material but they are prone to damage when hit as they are brittle.

I know PS has an article on this issue, maybe someone will be able to point you towards this article.

Well dang... if I'd known this was posted, I could've given the a big "+1" -- LOL :lol: ;))

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
My 4ct SI2 OEC has a feather inclusion. It's clear and near the girdle so in most circumstances it is invisible. But when you block the light into the stone from the girdle, the feather darkens and becomes opaque. Even then, it just looks like an extra facet. But it has made a difference to how I set it. No bezels for me!

I agree that each feather has to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If you buy a VS2 GIA graded stone with a feather, you will not see the feather without a loupe or microscope. I will say that 95% of SI1 diamonds with a feather as the grade setting inclusion, which means it is the first inclusion stated in the Key to symbols, will not be visible to the unaided eye. Dangerous grade setting feathers would be seen mainly on SI2 or lower graded stones. The most dangerous would be stones where the feather goes through the girdle and is plotted on both the crown and pavilion side. I would rather have a white feather SI1, then a black crystal SI1.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hate 'em. I've bought several diamonds for myself over the years, with clarities ranging from VVS2 to SI2, and regardless of the clarity grade, none of the diamonds I've owned had feathers. I just can't do it, it's a mind clean issue for me.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
30yearsofdiamonds|1394807348|3633995 said:
If you buy a VS2 GIA graded stone with a feather, you will not see the feather without a loupe or microscope. I will say that 95% of SI1 diamonds with a feather as the grade setting inclusion, which means it is the first inclusion stated in the Key to symbols, will not be visible to the unaided eye. Dangerous grade setting feathers would be seen mainly on SI2 or lower graded stones. The most dangerous would be stones where the feather goes through the girdle and is plotted on both the crown and pavilion side. I would rather have a white feather SI1, then a black crystal SI1.

Sorry I didn't totally understand what you meant - looks like some typo/grammar thing. Is there a significance to the order of the inclusions in the key?

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes, the 1st inclusion in the key to symbols on a GIA report will be the grade setting inclusion. If there are other inclusions listed before the feather then it is usually meant that the feather is less important in regard to the clarity call.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
30yearsofdiamonds|1394826905|3634248 said:
Yes, the 1st inclusion in the key to symbols on a GIA report will be the grade setting inclusion. If there are other inclusions listed before the feather then it is usually meant that the feather is less important in regard to the clarity call.

Oh i see what you mean, it is the inclusion which caused it to be graded at that - so probably the biggest/most important of the inclusions in terms of visibility/clarity.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394827167|3634250 said:
30yearsofdiamonds|1394826905|3634248 said:

Oh i see what you mean, it is the inclusion which caused it to be graded at that - so probably the biggest/most important of the inclusions in terms of visibility/clarity.

Ahhhh... always learning on Pricescope! :read: :wacko: :praise:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was against feathers until I found out that even a diamond graded VS1 at 10X with no feather, could have a
VVS2 size feather not mentioned, or minute feathers at 30X, 40X, 50X magnification.

This is because a diamond is only graded at 10X so feathers at higher magnification are not plotted or mentioned.

I would be careful with an SI1 feather breaking at the girdle on a diamond though.

Can't remember who but someone posted a picture taken with a magnification app on their phone showing a
VVS diamond at 60X magnification and it looked covered in inclusions.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading on Pricescope years ago that a crystal can have a built up tension that could 'explode' and
cause a diamond to fracture too. I also remember gemologists saying that quite often a crystal will have
small vvs size feathers around them which are not plotted as they are smaller than the grade setting inclusion - the crystal.
I was told they are often little halos which are cleavage feathers.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Someone very close to me had an eye visible feather in their diamond.
i1 at best.
They dropped the ring in the sink and the diamond shattered.
The half with the feather was totally intact and the other half was basically small shards.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1394860245|3634489 said:
Someone very close to me had an eye visible feather in their diamond.
i1 at best.
They dropped the ring in the sink and the diamond shattered.
The half with the feather was totally intact and the other half was basically small shards.

That's hilarious. Awesome story!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike feathers and I am not really fond of seeing inclusions at 10x. Therefore, I try to buy VS1 and cleaner VS2's.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1394863607|3634513 said:
I dislike feathers and I am not really fond of seeing inclusions at 10x. Therefore, I try to buy VS1 and cleaner VS2's.

Mostly ditto.
I did have a VS1 with a tiny rainbow-like feather like running parallel to a facet. It could only be seen with a microscope and I liked knowing it was there. If they had called it a crack instead of a feather, maybe not so much. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results