shape
carat
color
clarity

Phobias...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ANY kinds of bugs....I just can't. Out comes the dyson and I chase them down until they're sucked up and obliterated. Flying is a problem. I can do it but I sure don't like it, drinking a few beers helps :)

Last and worst of all, the dentist. I really do need to be out of it to let them touch my mouth. It takes being in a lot of pain for me to walk in that door.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh Babynurse, vomit is horrible. That's like the only time I never say to my kids, or think to myself, that I wish it were me who was sick/dealing w/it rather than them. I hate to throw up. My gag reflex has gotten better over the years, w/kid vomit. Ick.

It's funny (well not really) reading thru the fears/phobias, my hands start to sweat and I think of stories that have happened to go along w/each of them

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1394312096|3630135 said:

Here's a picture I drew in paint last summer while I was writing a little piece about yellow jackets and how much I hate those f&*^#@s.

LIKE!!! :bigsmile:

I hope you don't mind but I just had to whoop with laughter at your fine cartoon. And share this story: I accidentally ran over, or else I parked the truck on a in-ground nest of yellow jackets. They swarmed me. I ran like I never ran before, but they still got all over me, got up under my clothes, stung me all to pieces. I ran into the camper and started pulling off clothing to get rid of the bees. Bystanders said I was yelling "Shit damn Shit damn motherf__ get OFF ME!" I don't remember exactly what I said. But people nicknamed me "Runs With Yellow Jackets" for a while. Don't mess with yellow jackets. Thay mean essobees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
A pathological fear of vomit, it actually kept me out of medical school. I won't watch a movie if I know it has a puke scene, and it seems almost every movie lately has one!!
Claustrophobic too. My MRI almost killed me!
I actually couldn't finish the movie Gravity because of claustrophobic feelings!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1394410143|3630712 said:
You really are my twin.

When I was a wee kid, I had to get my blood drawn at the pediatrician's office since I had an ongoing fever that wasn't getting resolved. I had two nurses holding my 5 year old body down, and the male doctor getting the blood out of me. I kicked one of the nurses in the stomach HARD, and managed to flail out of the way of the needle. I think everyone got injured that day.

It felt so satisfying to kick the lady in the stomach, though. I really was upset at them for poking me with a needle ;(

We are twins! I wish we shared more favorable attributes though, ha ha! I went through the exact same blood test at five, I could have written that story myself. My most Hulk-ish moment was throwing a chair across the dental surgery during primary school. I would bite the dental nurse as hard as I could, kick, scratch, hit. I had two panic attacks turn into full blown asthma attacks. I was about 10 when a support staff member who was trying to help me/my parents suggested referring me to a professional. It all sounds so awful now I'm writing it out!

I definitely still have those impulses, obviously I no longer act on them! Though I'm sure I would if someone cornered me in a dark alley with a syringe. :Up_to_something:

I'm not sure how these things work, but I wonder how do we get these fears? I often suspect my Mother may have triggered it, as a nervous/frightened person by nature. My sister goes out cold at the sight of blood. That phobia IS dangerous, she has passed out in the shower more than once from a blood nose (not very fun to have to rescue her either, as she tends to vomit first!).

TMI? :shock:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate clowns. I don't think they are funny and I avoid them. There's just something about their fakeness that really disturbs me. Fake nose, big feet, wigs, make-up.... The rational part of me knows it's ridiculous but on the inside I freak out at the thought of them.

I'm also claustrophibic. I don't like closing the bathroom door, trying on clothes in a dressing room or riding the elevator. The worst movie I ever tried to watch was 127 Hours. I had nightmares for days.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TC1987|1394412802|3630748 said:
monarch64|1394312096|3630135 said:

Here's a picture I drew in paint last summer while I was writing a little piece about yellow jackets and how much I hate those f&*^#@s.

LIKE!!! :bigsmile:

I hope you don't mind but I just had to whoop with laughter at your fine cartoon. And share this story: I accidentally ran over, or else I parked the truck on a in-ground nest of yellow jackets. They swarmed me. I ran like I never ran before, but they still got all over me, got up under my clothes, stung me all to pieces. I ran into the camper and started pulling off clothing to get rid of the bees. Bystanders said I was yelling "Shit damn Shit damn motherf__ get OFF ME!" I don't remember exactly what I said. But people nicknamed me "Runs With Yellow Jackets" for a while. Don't mess with yellow jackets. Thay mean essobees. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, I don't mind at all! Glad you got a kick out of it. Those things will chase you for a half mile if provoked (and it doesn't take much to provoke them). I can't imagine getting stung repeatedly, that must have been a world of pain!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch, my husband knows I'm terrified of bees and happened to find this hilarious wasp poem on the internet. I can't post it here because it has a few bad words in it but you can easily find it if you google "You see a wasp you chill the f out". It's really funny!

Edited to add, there are some scary wasp pictures on that page, so it might be easier if you ask your hubby to find it for you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no irrational fears. All of my fears are perfectly rational :praise:

Bees are evil. They chase you and will wait for you to come out of hiding.

Water (lakes, oceans, rivers, ponds) is sitting there just waiting to drown me. I'm certainly NOT going to put my body in it on purpose.

Bugs of all forms have too many legs to trust. They are creepy and icky and love to jump out when least expected. I take care of them! Peter comes out every few months to spray them.

Needles :errrr:
Nope. The mere thought of a dr maybe thinking about ordering a blood draw for me os enough to leave me near passing out. Seriously.

Blood is supposed to stay IN my body. Seeing it come out is enough to leave me collapsing. DH is glad that I've at least gotten to telling him what is wrong before blacking out.

Bridges are clearly dangerous. You never know when they might fall down. Just look at the structural issues listed for WA bridges! And so many are over water :-o

Oh.... And knowing more does NOT help. One of our friends works for the state as an engineer and I've heard enough to make me wish I never knew!
Same with airline pilots! Good friend is a retired airline pilot and his stories leave me convinced that I never want to be in an airplane unless I'm the pilot.

See! All very rational :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby nurse|1394480255|3631185 said:
Monarch, my husband knows I'm terrified of bees and happened to find this hilarious wasp poem on the internet. I can't post it here because it has a few bad words in it but you can easily find it if you google "You see a wasp you chill the f out". It's really funny!

Edited to add, there are some scary wasp pictures on that page, so it might be easier if you ask your hubby to find it for you.

Ha! That was very funny, and very colorful! Thanks!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I don't know if I have any "real" phobias but I really, really do dislike heights and needles.

I'm more comfortable with heights after working three summers in a job that required working in high places daily but it doesn't mean that I'll even learn to love heights. :tongue:

I'm working on my fear of needles by donating blood to Red Cross two or three times a year. It's getting easier every time but I'm still not very comfortable with needles. The lovely ladies at the Red Cross once told that it usually takes 10-20 donations to get rid of the fear. I also have a crazy high hemoglobin level so donating is good for me even from medical point of view.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I run and scream like a frantic schoolgirl if there is a bee, wasp, or yellow jacket within 10 feet of me. :oops:

I have a couple of very irrational phobias as well. First, I'm terrified of dropping a knife on my foot or having one fall off of the counter onto my foot. DH always has to say "Knife!" if he is handling one so that I don't go near it. 2nd, I can't look at my armpits while shaving because I'm afraid that I'll accidentally slip and cut my eye with the razor.

I never said I was normal. :D

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1394497382|3631357 said:
I run and scream like a frantic schoolgirl if there is a bee, wasp, or yellow jacket within 10 feet of me. :oops:

I have a couple of very irrational phobias as well. First, I'm terrified of dropping a knife on my foot or having one fall off of the counter onto my foot. DH always has to say "Knife!" if he is handling one so that I don't go near it. 2nd, I can't look at my armpits while shaving because I'm afraid that I'll accidentally slip and cut my eye with the razor.

I never said I was normal. :D

Did this once!

Boy it hurt and it was only a little steak knife.

I'm very careful of my toes now while working in the kitchen. I'll usually stand close enough to the counter that my toes are under the edge of the cupboards protected!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like your bee drawing. As for fear of driving on large, busy roads, I have it too. I won't drive on the freeway except for very few times a year when I have to. I always take the scenic back roads when traveling to nearby cities.

It freaked me out today when a friend told me today that her friend almost died from an infection from a mosquito bite he got while on vacation 2 weeks ago on a South Pacific island. He arrived home in the States severely ill from an exotic, rare germ carried by the mosquito. The idea of this kind of freakish accidental death freaks me out.

And don't get me started about psychopaths and serial killers and rabid gang members and drug cartels and Nazis and Pol Pot. I have a phobia about cruel, amoral people motivated by greed and hate. I've never watched a horror movie in my entire life; the world is a horror show enough already.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never thought of this as a phobia till reading this thread. I have a tendency (not all the time) to pass out from the sight of my blood if it's more than a paper cut. First time this happened was about 8 years ago and it has happened a few times since then. Before that I was just squeamish about blood which is why I never went into a profession that dealt with blood and chose my field instead. However that squeamishness has translated to occasionally passing out. Not a great feeling. I start feeling dizzy and then nauseous and then everything turns to black. Phobia or just a weird vasovagal response?

And Sky-do you ever watch that show Monsters Inside Me? Scary stuff so maybe you shouldn't but I find it fascinating. What happened to your friend re mosquito bite is a typical episode on that show. Fascinating but scary!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sky56|1394521793|3631586 said:
I like your bee drawing. As for fear of driving on large, busy roads, I have it too. I won't drive on the freeway except for very few times a year when I have to. I always take the scenic back roads when traveling to nearby cities.

And don't get me started about psychopaths and serial killers and rabid gang members and drug cartels and Nazis and Pol Pot. I have a phobia about cruel, amoral people motivated by greed and hate. I've never watched a horror movie in my entire life; the world is a horror show enough already.

I don't like to drive, much less a freeway etc. When I lived in Arizona, I would look up every place I went on a map to find the non freeway route. My cousin was living there w/me and she was going to be going to the art school in Phoenix, so we planned out the trip freeway-less-when we got there, we were talking w/the man who was taking her around the school and found out we'd driven the worst possible gang infested way. :???: He had a daughter my age and boy did I hear about it.

Ever get in your vehicle at night and after you buckle your seatbelt and you're turning on the car, the seatbelt tightens juuuuust a little? I always have a fleeting feeling of "who is in the backseat?" I hate taking my kids places kids at night..always looking under the truck and in the back, and it's this crazy feeling of trying to be outwardly normal but inside scrambling to get the truck started and the lights on and the doors locked.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if it's really a phobia per say, but I've thought long and hard about it, and I'm terrified of being pregnant. I know millions of people do it all the time. I get that it goes well the vast majority of the time. But, there's an ENTIRE ADDITIONAL HUMAN. INSIDE. YOUR. BODY. And, it has to COME OUT.

Nope.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I've never heard of that show.

The irony is that I have a goodly numbers of fears, some of them phobias, yet I am a very non-neurotic person. My husband and others tell me I am one of the most stable, easygoing and happy people they've ever met.

Maybe the fears have helped me survive (my hair is almost all white now.... and I have always been ~very~ careful about looking both ways when I cross the street. I am very much conscious of my strong survival instinct.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Trypophobia - I have a huge aversion to clusters of holes. It makes me feel ill when I see them. If you google it, you will know exactly what I mean. I hate wasps nests, honeycomb, bundles of drinking straws. You get the picture. Even talking about it makes me incredibly squeamish.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
The only real phobia I've experienced was a fear of driving. I haven't the foggiest idea why I didn't think I could drive, why it scared me, and why I felt the need to avoid it.

One day I said, "Enough is enough" and got behind the wheel. Now I think I'm the best driver I know (and I am). I have driven in many major cities, quite a few at rush hour, and absolutely nothing fazes me behind the wheel now.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1394775556|3633817 said:
The only real phobia I've experienced was a fear of driving. I haven't the foggiest idea why I didn't think I could drive, why it scared me, and why I felt the need to avoid it.

One day I said, "Enough is enough" and got behind the wheel. Now I think I'm the best driver I know (and I am). I have driven in many major cities, quite a few at rush hour, and absolutely nothing fazes me behind the wheel now.

I just wanted to say I think this is awesome Holly. Good for you for overcoming a real fear and excelling at it thereby improving your life in so many ways. That wasn't easy to do and good for you! :appl: :appl: :appl:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Birds. I just can't. The thought of touching one makes me want to vomit. Watching someone handle a bird makes me uncomfortable. They fly or walk to close and I FREEZE, have a mini panic attack and shake it off. Murmarations... don't even suggest watching it. If I were forced to watch it, I'd cry.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I have some weird irrational fears, and some mild OCD issues.

- All doors HAVE to be locked at night before I can sleep.l I will check them literally 6-10 times. Our bedroom is upstairs and if I think they aren't locked I will spend 15 minutes rechecking/walking halfway upstairs, going back down, recheck....rinse repeat. I can't sleep because I am so scared someone will waltz into our house and stab me in my sleep. So doors HAVE to be locked.
-Insect Larva
-Wasps/hornets
-Going over highway ramps... If iI am driving I go about 15 miles an hour, and white knuckle it. if I am driving with someone else I curl into a ball and close my eyes until we are off the ramp. This factors into my fear of heights.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
sphenequeen|1394666200|3632905 said:
Trypophobia - I have a huge aversion to clusters of holes. It makes me feel ill when I see them. If you google it, you will know exactly what I mean. I hate wasps nests, honeycomb, bundles of drinking straws. You get the picture. Even talking about it makes me incredibly squeamish.

Some of the pictures I've seen of clustered holes are way creepy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results