shape
carat
color
clarity

Chilling 60 Minutes segment on today's data industry

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Remember my rant about UPS having a delivery window shorter than all day but requiring you to "register' and give up lots of personal info to get it?
Turns out my suspicion was on target, not just grumpy cynical old Kenny.

Well … this report states companies can now make more money selling the personal info of their customers than what they make on their main product or service.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-data-brokers-selling-your-personal-information/

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you use a store card Experian knows what brand tp you wipe your rear with and will sell that info to most anyone.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two ways to look at privacy:

1. They already know X and Y, so I don't care if they learn Z.
2. Since they already know X and Y, I REALLY don't want them to learn Z.

I pick #2.
I think most younger people pick #1.

That's okay.
People vary.

Just be aware of what's going on.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
When you apply for health care under obamacare guess who confirms your identity?
Experian

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Karl_K|1394575284|3631985 said:
When you apply for health care under obamacare guess who confirms your identity?
Experian

Wait, what???? You're kidding right?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Roxy|1394608319|3632330 said:
Experian

Wait, what???? You're kidding right?
No I am not.
The heathcare.gov would not authenticate me so I called and she told me she filed a request for them to check it and I might have to call Experian and gave me the number and said to call them if it didn't go through after 24 hours.
I ended up not having to call because that part went through the next day after she filed the request.
They had part of my address misspelled.
She said a lot of people had trouble with that.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Karl_K|1394575052|3631983 said:
If you use a store card Experian knows what brand tp you wipe your rear with and will sell that info to most anyone.
http://www.experian.com/marketing-services/customer-acquisition.html?intcmp=ems_sb_solu_sbn_csta

"Consumer data – 235 million consumers and 113 million households – we’ve got more coverage and depth of consumer data than anyone in the business
Consumer insight – And we know more about their behaviors, attitudes and media habits to give you a complete picture of your best customer and identify audience segments that look just like them
Cross-channel marketing - One target, all channels - that’s our motto. Direct mail, display, email, search, social, mobile, even TV, we can optimize one channel or have them all work together to lower your acquisition cost"

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
the company i work for buys data from experian - but i think you'd be hard pressed to find a company in my industry that doesn't buy their data from experian!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Experian

...just another "perk" of Obamacare. :roll:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched 60 minutes on Sunday and found that piece chilling. I think the lack of privacy is going to come back and bite us all on the collective butt and we will be sorry we jumped into the technology pool. I don't think any consumer envisioned the scope of what this all entails when we signed up for a store card, took a online survey or signed up for facebook. I would really like to erase any digital footprint but I don't think we can ever go back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results