shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice from our vendors, please.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Finances have been tight.

And I have been wanting a seven stone for a WHILE now.

I know exactly what I want (not exactly a surprise, right). I want 7 twenty pointers G-H in color and eyeclean SI in clarity. I want them to be excellent cuts with great light return. I don't need them to have lab reports, and I feel that the lab reports will drive the cost up, which is the last thing I want.

Now I know that if I work with a jeweler I trust (and there are many of them on these boards that fall into that category) I can get nice uncertified stones. But how much money would that save me? I know certified 20 pointers would run about 310 each. How much would uncertified ones run, approximately?

Finally. And this is the Finances have been tight part. I plan to buy them one at a time over a couple years for different occasions (birthday, Christmas, etc.) from the same vendor. Is that unfair to a vendor to ask them to find me a nice certified 20 pointer each time? Should I just stick to GIA certified stones and just buy them wherever I find them?

Finally, I plan to have the setting custom made, unless I can find this EXACT setting from one of the casting houses. Do any of you recognize this setting (on the off chance)? I especially like the baskets from the side view and the proportions of the bars to the stones. Two tone is not required. Solid white metal is fine. Size 7.25.
perfect_seven_stone.jpg
perfect_seven_stone_profile.jpg

All your advice is very much appreciated. This is a long term project and I just want to make sure I am planning it correctly. :wavey:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of vendors will not sell 20 pointers without a setting so that limits your choice greatly.
The profit just isn't high enough on one of them to make it do able.
Then buying over time with no reports how are you going to match them?
Having the vendor run a sarin scan would likely be as much as a report unless as a favor you find one that will.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Do a google search for the # inside the ring and you will likely find it.
Its a stock setting and several suppliers have something similar.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1394600475|3632281 said:
A lot of vendors will not sell 20 pointers without a setting so that limits your choice greatly.
Having the vendor run a sarin scan would likely be as much as a report unless as a favor you find one that will.

Yeah, I was kind of worried about that. I was thinking maybe the vendor would keep them for me as I buy them, and match them visually. I don't need them in my possession.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1394600584|3632283 said:
Do a google search for the # inside the ring and you will likely find it.
Its a stock setting and several suppliers have something similar.

Can you read that? I can't. Any assistance would be appreciated. Those are the only pictures of it that I have. I've been searching for it for a while.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
fi {something} 3553

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Didn't come up with anything with FI*3553

I see the FINE55E or F_ _ _ 55E

:(sad

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Come on, vendors!!! Someone out there must know of this setting!!!!!! Please help Gypsy!!!!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1394600611|3632284 said:
Karl_K|1394600475|3632281 said:

Yeah, I was kind of worried about that. I was thinking maybe the vendor would keep them for me as I buy them, and match them visually. I don't need them in my possession.

Silly them! I suspect the vendors here that offer personal service, and I can think of several of us that do, will gladly sell you one stone at a time, or buy a parcel and sell them to you for a slightly higher price in order to cover the cost of holding them, pre matched, for you.

Most of us buy from houses that can provide us Sarin reports at no additional cost, thus no additional cost to you.

Call around and talk to the vendors that you like. I am guessing that many more than one will want to work with you!

Wink

P.S. Shame on any one who will not sell a .20ct without a mounting. It takes, at most, two phone calls to get the diamonds. Just because we are internet vendors should not mean we are not also required to provide customer service.

P.P.S. That is just my opinion. I respect the right of the other vendors to disagree with me. I know several of them well enough to be pretty sure that they will not disagree.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I've bought loose stones as small as .25, so I'd think .20's could be had.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am also going to guess that it would be inappropriate for me to mention diamond prices here, but the cost of a GIA diamond grading report for a .20ct diamond is $53. It is only $32 for a dossier report which does not have a diamond plot.

Those prices do not include postage and insurance costs to transport the diamond to GIA and back, so the actual increase in cost will be somewhat more.

Wink

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Wink|1394643298|3632539 said:
I am also going to guess that it would be inappropriate for me to mention diamond prices here, but the cost of a GIA diamond grading report for a .20ct diamond is $53. It is only $32 for a dossier report which does not have a diamond plot.

Those prices do not include postage and insurance costs to transport the diamond to GIA and back, so the actual increase in cost will be somewhat more.

Wink

In the case of diamonds that size, and needing 7 of them, I can see foregoing the papers if they come from one of the vendors that we knows uses great looking melee in thier stuff.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey Gypsy! You may want to check out Stuller's #4586. Not available in two-tone, and it doesn't have the scalloping in the gallery but it is the right size for the design you want and it's a nice low-profile setting.

wst4586-side.jpg

wst4586-face.jpg

wst4586-126p-e-set-band-380mm-d1e3b2b2-a895-404e-8673-d99cbd166cd4.jpg

wst4586-126p-a-set-band-380mm-708bdeaa-bae2-4b35-ac65-5d8f5c08b585.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wink's Elf has also contacted Finesse and they are willing to work with new vendors, so when you find your vendor you can have them contact Finesse for this exact ring.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, honestly, it makes more sense to save the money and then have a vendor order all the matched stones at one time, one shipping fee, less time involved for the vendor. More cost effective should be the end result. I wouldn't consider buying certified 20 pointers, so I'm glad you are buying uncertified at that size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. I emailed Finesse asking if that setting is theirs. Fingers crossed!

Andelain, thanks so much for the keen eyesight. I'm so excited that the setting might be available, without custom. I adore it.

Wink, as always you rock and so does your amazing Elf! THANKS GUYS!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so excited.

dancing-snoopy.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gypsy|1394654036|3632698 said:
I'm so excited.

Gotta love the Snoopy dance.

Wink

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
:bigsmile: I had given up hope for finding that exact setting. It's just so perfect.

And you know the clincher? The thing was on ebay. In my size. With 15 pointers (not twenty, but still), and it was only 700 bucks. And it was up there for months, and I had the funds and for some BONEHEADED reason, I passed on it.

Still and all this way gives me a project. Which is something that gives me joy. And I get exactly what I want in terms of stone size.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
A reminder that vendors aren't allowed to solicit business in threads and some posts have come very close to that. Please keep those rules in mind when posting.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394645902|3632574 said:
Gypsy, honestly, it makes more sense to save the money and then have a vendor order all the matched stones at one time, one shipping fee, less time involved for the vendor. More cost effective should be the end result. I wouldn't consider buying certified 20 pointers, so I'm glad you are buying uncertified at that size.

+1

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm on pins and needles waiting for confirmation that FINESSE makes that setting. That huge for me.

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
I've got my fingers crossed for you. You've helped so many people on here that surely the power of ps can track down this setting/vendor for you

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to say that they come up from time to time (like that exact ring) on ebay, with decent cut stones if you are looking every day, Rubylane less frequently but occasionally as well.... It might be better to save the money each special occasion and then see if you can find one preloved and if not then go to a well known vendor. Otherwise the idea of a vendor holding a parcel for you is not a bad idea either.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have asked for pricing on the Vatche setting too.

So now I am waiting on pricing on 4 things.

F/G diamonds.
H/I diamonds

Original Setting
Vatche Setting.

And I'll go from there. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results