shape
carat
color
clarity

Bench Jeweler in the NE

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone heard of or have experience with A Jour Jewelry (in Bristol Rhode Island). The proprietor is Klaus Kutter. I am searching from someone local to do some small projects but the RI/MASS area seems to be lacking a Steven Kirsch/Victor Canera type person

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Massachetts has Mark Morrel and a couple other great jewelers. Hopefully others will chime in.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.mc2jewels.com/content/contact And this jeweler is even better than Steven or Victor (IMO, they are just my favorite all time). But they are VERY pricey... but if you are in the area... worth a look. Though they do not work with outside stones, at least that is my understanding.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1394418630|3630803 said:
http://www.mc2jewels.com/content/contact And this jeweler is even better than Steven or Victor (IMO, they are just my favorite all time). But they are VERY pricey... but if you are in the area... worth a look. Though they do not work with outside stones, at least that is my understanding.

thanks-i am familiar with mctiegue and mcclelland. they are great but no longer do much outside their own work. while i think the quality is spectacular their designs arent my cup of tea so they are out.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just requested a quote from them a week ago. They came in $1k higher then ERD, Mark Broumard, and Erica and Grace (formerly of Jewels by Erica Grace). He was well into Canera/Kirsch price range. I also didn't care for the lack of finished product images on his website. All he posts are CAD images. I want to see the final product. His reviews on Yelp are good though, I just think he's WAY overpriced.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I believe Daniel M is out of the Boston area. You can find him on etsy, just search for "Daniel M" in the search bar. If my memory serves, he does bench work for Long's in Boston (I could be totally delusional, though).

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, Daniel M is not in the class that bgray is talking about. Very few actually fit into her category ... not in the US let along in NE. I have been searching high and low ... I think I found someone that I would group into the category. Untested so I am not going to share.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1394473521|3631094 said:
Unfortunately, Daniel M is not in the class that bgray is talking about. Very few actually fit into her category ... not in the US let along in NE. I have been searching high and low ... I think I found someone that I would group into the category. Untested so I am not going to share.

For small projects I'd consider Daniel M.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
bgray|1394391283|3630566 said:
Has anyone heard of or have experience with A Jour Jewelry (in Bristol Rhode Island). The proprietor is Klaus Kutter. I am searching from someone local to do some small projects but the RI/MASS area seems to be lacking a Steven Kirsch/Victor Canera type person

I browsed his blog recently because I did notice that his gallery was mostly CAD designs. I have corresponded with him a bit via email because my best friend's husband is using him to refurbish a ring that needs the center stone (peridot) replaced and I was considering having him set a pair of earrings for me. Anyway, I was impressed with some of what I saw on his blog with his finished work and I'll let you know what I think of his stuff in person when I am there in a few weeks.

I am surprised the quote he gave HH came back so high because his charge to my friend's to do the repair work was insanely insanely reasonable.

ETA: Definitely check out his blog and browse back a bit. His finish looks to be really nice and he does everything from bezels to pave.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1394475669|3631126 said:
CharmyPoo|1394473521|3631094 said:

For small projects I'd consider Daniel M.

Me, too. Generally the terms "small projects" and "Steven Kirsch/Victor Canera" don't go in the same sentence. :rodent:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a dilemma not having a bench jeweler to do repairs, alterations, etc.

I just want to add that I got a quote from Mc2 last year for a relatively simple setting and the quote was around $7500. :-o I didn't even consider it in the league of what Steven and Victor normally do and it wasn't even as special as a Van Craeynest, in my opinion. I imagine it would be about a $4k ring for VC or SK. They do have some beautiful and unique designs, but I wouldn't necessarily consider their actual bench work any better from what I can see in pictures. They also charge a HUGE amount more than GOG does for their newly cut OEC's, too. It is a nice site to look at, but I'd use another bench if I wanted something similar. You really cannot compare them to VC and SK anyway. Victor and Steven are primarily filling custom orders, whereas places like Mc2 and Joe Escobar, etc., are jewelry stores that carry finished jewelry in stock. I am sure Victor and Steven would have more creative pieces if they were just designing and making things they thought were interesting.

Case in point...this ring is $22,800. If you allow a generous $8800 for the setting, that means the 1.17 ct I VVS2 diamond is a whopping $14,000!!!!

http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/9592/european-ideal-cut%E2%84%A2-diamond-tulip-flora-ring-117cts-18-kt-platinum

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394500768|3631399 said:
It is a dilemma not having a bench jeweler to do repairs, alterations, etc.

I just want to add that I got a quote from Mc2 last year for a relatively simple setting and the quote was around $7500. :-o I didn't even consider it in the league of what Steven and Victor normally do and it wasn't even as special as a Van Craeynest, in my opinion. I imagine it would be about a $4k ring for VC or SK. They do have some beautiful and unique designs, but I wouldn't necessarily consider their actual bench work any better from what I can see in pictures. They also charge a HUGE amount more than GOG does for their newly cut OEC's, too. It is a nice site to look at, but I'd use another bench if I wanted something similar. You really cannot compare them to VC and SK anyway. Victor and Steven are primarily filling custom orders, whereas places like Mc2 and Joe Escobar, etc., are jewelry stores that carry finished jewelry in stock. I am sure Victor and Steven would have more creative pieces if they were just designing and making things they thought were interesting.

Case in point...this ring is $22,800. If you allow a generous $8800 for the setting, that means the 1.17 ct I VVS2 diamond is a whopping $14,000!!!!

http://www.mc2jewels.com/item/9592/european-ideal-cut%E2%84%A2-diamond-tulip-flora-ring-117cts-18-kt-platinum

I am glad you posted this. I dont want to knock them but their prices are insane. Their pieces are interesting but somehow eh....not classic enough. A little too much of the same thing. My projects are not so simple (i.e setting rounds into a stud) that I can just use anyone. I have some restoration work, some colored stones I would to have settings made for and the like

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was a place recommended to me years ago.

They had good feedback. The woman was named Alexandria. Let me see if I can find/figure out who it was.

I think this is the one; http://bostonianjewelers.com/bjm_testimonials.php

I think Jeff A. (appraiser) had good things to say about things he'd appraised from them.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Are you open to more NYC options?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1394514062|3631547 said:

They had good feedback. The woman was named Alexandria. Let me see if I can find/figure out who it was.

I think Jeff A. (appraiser) had good things to say about things he'd appraised from them.

Great reviews on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bostonian-jewelers-boston#query:jewelers

After reading all the reviews, I want to go there too!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1394515729|3631559 said:
Gypsy|1394514062|3631547 said:

Great reviews on Yelp.
http://www.yelp.ca/biz/bostonian-jewelers-boston#query:jewelers

After reading all the reviews, I want to go there too!

I talked to the woman Alexandria about a custom job once. She seem capable.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
CharmyPoo|1394515356|3631556 said:
Are you open to more NYC options?

yes-

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bostonian seems on par with Whiteflash's quality of work from the photos. And their melee looks to be very good quality. Mostly CAD work. Nice hand engraving. Decent prong work.

For what you need done bgray, I think they would be a good option.

Here's a ring by them that shows the melee quality.

_15704.jpg

_15705.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to be negative twice on the same thread, but Bostonians prongs (see Diamond Swag Studs and Double Prong Classic Solitaire right after it) are not as good as WF and nowhere near VC or SK prongs. I did see some very pretty pieces with bezels and milgrain, and I liked their milgrain edge stacking bands. I just don't think I could use them for anything with prongs.

Klaus Kutter does gorgeous bezel work, but the vast majority of his work is ultra-modern. I see so few classic pieces that it is hard to tell how he'd do with the kinds of things we are familiar with seeing Victor or Steven doing.

Maybe Circe can recommend whoever finally repaired her ring in NYC? That didn't involve prongs but maybe she has seen their work?

I have run into the same thing, bgray, with a new ring I have that needs a bezel insert taken out to replace the center stone and remake the bezel. That is just not something I'd trust any local person to do. And in fact, the two things I have done locally in the past few years, stud setting and a sizing of a platinum ring, were not done to my expectations. People like SK and VC don't want to do that kind of work! if we could identify a great bench jeweler who does repairs as well as custom, they'd get a lot of work from PSers!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy can speak to this better than me since she has been to this jeweler many times, but I absolutely adore many colored stone rings on the Joe Escobar site! They really "get" classic and they have some really nice designs that are original but fall into the classic category. Because they seem to choose such nice colored stones, I might someday even buy a whole, finished ring from them. They are in CA, but if you have to ship gems, I don't guess it matters where they are.

http://www.escobardiamonds.com/

Click on rings and go to filters and click Joe Escobar exclusive designs. They do beautiful prongs and bezels from what I can see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no one local to me that I trust sufficiently to do modifications to settings that are invaluable to me. I've had to send my settings out to various vendors, and Quest is one that I trust. They changed out prongs into a bezel for me that stood up under magnified scrutiny.

What is a "small project" to you? Must it be handforged only or are you more accepting of Cast/CAD work for this type of projects? When you wrote that the bench must be the caliber of SK/VC, my mind automatically assumed handforged only.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1394546244|3631683 said:
There is no one local to me that I trust sufficiently to do modifications to settings that are invaluable to me. I've had to send my settings out to various vendors, and Quest is one that I trust. They changed out prongs into a bezel for me that stood up under magnified scrutiny.

What is a "small project" to you? Must it be handforged only or are you more accepting of Cast/CAD work for this type of projects? When you wrote that the bench must be the caliber of SK/VC, my mind automatically assumed handforged only.

I keep forgetting about Quest, but they are a great suggestion for certain things!

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1394546244|3631683 said:

Thanks to everyone for contributing. Chrono: good question. I have a vintage Cartier ring that I need some work done on/I have a platinum ring that was made for me 15 years ago that I have never worn that needs to be tuned up/I have some vintage platinum and pave earrings that need some type of new wire and lever. In other words--pretty high quality work. As for the colored stones -I am fine with cast. I am looking at brushed bezel settings for the stones. (antique amethysts and jade)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Klaus Kutter looks great for the brushed bezel colored stone rings. Would you consider Cartier to do the repairs on the Cartier ring? I'd almost be afraid to let anyone else touch that.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1394549086|3631704 said:
Klaus Kutter looks great for the brushed bezel colored stone rings. Would you consider Cartier to do the repairs on the Cartier ring? I'd almost be afraid to let anyone else touch that.

its a bypass ring with two pearls. The pearls are enormous and I want smaller pearls so its more wearable

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. I wouldn't think that would be a problem. If Cartier did it, though, it would still be 100% Cartier. But if you don't care about that, I would think KK could do that as well.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea, for a Cartier piece I'd want Cartier to do it. What about James Meyer for the pearl ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results