shape
carat
color
clarity

Finger rash under ring?

MistyNicole

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone I have had my current setting for 5 years now and after the birth of my son. Developed an allergy on my ring finger it is very itchy and I have gotten them cleaned tried putting cortisone ointment. I have taken them off all together and it gets better but as soon as they are back in it flares up again could I have developed an allergy to the white gold??? I have had it off and in for 2 years and it drives me crazy. Wondering if I need to upgrade my setting in to platinum anyone else Exp this?

MistyNicole

Rough_Rock

imageuploadedbytapatalk1394430037.jpg

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
About 15% of all women are allergic to nickel and almost all U.S. white gold contains it. You can indeed develop an allergy after years of contact.

There is an easy test for nickel allergy. Get a nickel (coin). If you aren't in the U.S. you may need to research your local currency. Tape it to your leg. Use hypoallergenic tape. Leave it on 24 hours, or until you get a rash. If you get a round rash within 72 hours of removing the nickel, you'll know.

Cortisone temporarily suppresses the immune system. The skin that grows back is weaker. It's fine for a one time use, but if you repeatedly use it and re-expose yourself to the allergen, you will eventually end up with serious problems. Whatever else you do, please stop using the cortisone.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just out of curiosity, are you leaving your rings on while you wash your hands? As a mom, I found myself CONSTANTLY washing my hands with babes in the house, and I had an issue with my wide wedding band where water was getting trapped under the ring. The combo of water, wider band, and antibacterial soap (a little was getting left under the ring) created a contact dermatitis reaction for me.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was your WG ring rhodium-plated (most are)? For me, apx 5 years into wearing my 14kt WG band, the rhodium began wearing off, on the inside shank first, and I began to have a bit of a rash - for me too it lasted a couple of years - but now the rhodium is completely off and I can wear the ring without any rash developing on my finger.

Anyway, perhaps have your ring re-dipped in rhodium and see if that takes care of the problem?

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rhodium is not a great solution. Very few people are allergic to it, but there's a couple of problems with it.

First, no rhodium plate is solid. There are always tiny cracks under a microscope. Doctors don't recommend it as a reliable solution.

Second, the rhodium solution and tools will almost certainly come into contact with nickel from other people's rings. The plating can actually make it worse. It might work great today and be a disaster next time.

Clear nail polish gets proposed a lot but I don't see how that can protect you from the top half of the ring unless you coat the whole ring with nail polish.

MistyNicole

Rough_Rock
Hi all thank you for the responses. I do leave them on and at work and home I'm constantly washing could be the soap. The only thing is I wear my wedding set and a second ring that is platinum on my right had have not had an issue there? I will discontinue bye use of yen cortisone ointment thanks :). I'm gonna try the nickel allergy test and see if that is bye problem. I will post my results. I guess worse case I would need a new setting in platinum ;-). I have had my ring dipped couple times over the years I wonder if that could be an issue.

MistyNicole

Rough_Rock
Sorry about typos silly phone

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results