shape
carat
color
clarity

Rio Grande findings.........

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I realize most people have their jewelry worked on by professional benches.......but if there is anyone who has bought ring mountings from Rio Grande and set their own stones could you please comment on what you received? Some of them say 'needs finishing' so I assume it's slight buffing. If anyone has any experience with rings in particular please chime in........thx!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When a manufacturer says, "needs finishing", they mean that you will receive a rough casting. It might be tumbled in a magnetic tumbler to knock off investment and shine it up a bit, but it will probably be quite rough. Got a picture?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My guess is that the picture shows how the ring will look after finishing, not what you are getting. The catalog picture shows similar rings that have also been oxidized or set with a stone, clearly finished despite being sold unfinished. Since most buyers are interested in how the rings will look in the end, that makes more sense than show pictures of unfinished pieces.

Also, have you any experience in setting stones? This is not a pre-notched setting and it does require more tools and know-how.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually they don't just sell settings so it's possible what you saw were accurate pictures of their merchandise. They have all kinds of settings and jewelry related items.....including tools, etc. All the other settings I looked at don't have the words 'require's finishing' on the description. I, of course, found the exception for my first venture with them. That's why I wonder if anyone has experience with Rio Grande and could 'see' more than a quick finish on possible burr's and a buffing........Yes, I noticed that the prongs need notching too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Isn't that always the case? ;-) I also seem to fall in love with the most expensive, most difficult, out of print, etc possible item. Why can't we like the easy setting, the less expensive dress or want the poster that is still in print and easy to get?

*sigh*

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this happen! It does set the stage for adventures.........sometimes!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yes I have bought their settings. I bought a pair of earring mounts from them and my jeweler used them for me. I also bought a pendant mounting for another stone but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Mine were shiny when they arrived.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm like IK - I've bought many findings and settings from them (years ago) but never any where it stated "needs finishing," which surely would've scared me off :o

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the replies........I feel like I'm between a rock (8X6 oval) and a hard place (wanting an east west setting that is low and sturdy.) I still may go through RG.....maybe. This is the closest to what I want that I've seen, as most are less 'sturdy'...and more dainty for lack of a better description.

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
Are the prongs pre-notched? I can't remember if I've ever bought anything that needs finishing from them. Unfinished settings I've bought from other manufacturers were cut off the casting "tree" and tumbled so they required a bit of filing and a complete polish. Maybe you could ask a local jeweler about finishing it for you if you're not comfortable trying it yourself.

CrystalMomentsGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have had great experiences with them for the past 3 years. Some of the pieces do need a final polish, however this was only needed for one or two pieces. The rings are good quality for the price and I have not had any trouble setting stones in their settings.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BINGO! This is what I was looking for! Thanks everyone for your contributions......I figure this will be an adventure but at least I know that PS people have used their products and it has been satisfactory for them!!

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have bought chains (and I like them) and snap mounts from them. I always assume that a mount will have a little something on it. I usually tumble in steel shot (depending on the stone) to anneal them and that cleans up most stuff.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So nice to head into this with tips! :appl:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Just a reminder that trade members cannot recommend or send consumers to vendors. I know this is a unique situation so I will let it slide this one time, but please remember that for the future to keep recommendations as bias-free as possible.

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ella, if what I said was too much, I guess I will have to refrain from posting here. I thought I was helping members here. I am an IT engineer by trade. I try to solve problems and let folks know what works. If that is too much, please email me (as you have my email).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results