shape
carat
color
clarity

Do u think that ‘made in China’ means bad quality?

sandra063

Rough_Rock
definitely not electronics, I can make do with $7.50 toasters!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do, I say it's the 2010's version of Jap Junk (yes sounds racist but I repeat what the WWII generation said about the flood of early Japanese objects coming into the USofA in the 1960s)..

I base my remark on the clothes that I no longer buy .. socks for me and my sons and husband consistently create holes after 3 times of wear, sweaters that have fallen apart after several washings...

Lenovo laptops are the exception imho.

bluehue3

Rough_Rock
Tekate|1391869355|3610744 said:
Yes, I do, I say it's the 2010's version of Jap Junk (yes sounds racist but I repeat what the WWII generation said about the flood of early Japanese objects coming into the USofA in the 1960s)..

I base my remark on the clothes that I no longer buy .. socks for me and my sons and husband consistently create holes after 3 times of wear, sweaters that have fallen apart after several washings...

Lenovo laptops are the exception imho.

I second Lenovo laptops as well. Better than Dell IMO, hahah. The only items I purchase under the "Made in China" tag are miscellaneous items I would need for small projects from hardware and craft supply stores. When I do find a fault in an item I purchase, my first instinct is to look for the "Made in China" mark and I would say 5/7 times its the culprit.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not always.
My Thinkpad/Lenovo laptops are made in China.
Some of my Coach bags are also made in China as are some Calvin Klein clothes.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting conversation.

I have received some of the worst crap in the world from China. One of my best benches and finest workmanship is also from China.

The issue is quality control. Gee, just like everything I have ever had made, no matter from which country.

When quality control is spot on, the product is wonderful. When too much pressure is applied for the lowest price, well, it has already been stated about some of the worst crap imaginable.

I rarely use my Chinese bench any more as I have found Stateside benches that do equal work and it is easier to return the occasional piece that snuck under the radar on quality control. However, I do find from time to time that certain jobs are best done by that bench and I do not hesitate to use them when that need arises.

When I was a child back in the late forties and fifties, it was understood that Japanese products were junk. Somewhere in there the Japanese government got involved and I woke up one day to realize that the Japanese products were some of the best in the world and my first nice camera was made in Japan.

It is my fervent hope that the Chinese will continue to evolve and that someday the Made in China stamp will be emblematic of high quality. By then the cheap crap will be made elsewhere and then that country too will have to evolve. Someday, long after I am gone, cheap crap will be hard to find and the entire world will be highly educated and only working for living wages and producing quality. (Cue in John Lennon's Imagine and spend an hour or two thinking about what such a world will be like, and then a few hours more thinking about how you can help such a world come to fruition.)

Wink

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally yes. I totally buy things 'made in china' but I don't expect them to last, and I know when I buy them that I am buying something disposable. If I want something of great quality I try to avoid made in china items. (I also try to avoid made in hong kong, bangladesh, etc, which are also known for deplorable conditions, wage issues etc.)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree I think it depends what it is and which factory in China made it. Factories with higher standards make better products, those with low standards that make cheaper products make exactly that cheap products. India is the same.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
China was wildly successful with the quality and branding of their most famous product: china. It was once so prized that it even was called Fine China. I would be happy to eat some rice out of that MIC bowl that was sold at auction recently.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Often? Yes.
Always? No.

I won't buy food from China.
I bought some salmon, recently but threw it away when I notice it was from China.
I recall news of toxic chemicals found in baby formula and toothpaste from China.

Seems they may have even more of a problem with corruption than America has.

It is hard to avoid buying things made in China, if you were so inclined.
It seems nearly everything is made in China now.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1412457460|3762148 said:
Often? Yes.
Always? No.

I won't buy food from China.
I bought some salmon, recently but threw it away when I notice it was from China.
I recall news of toxic chemicals found in baby formula and toothpaste from China.

Seems they may have even more of a problem with corruption than America has.

It is hard to avoid buying things made in China, if you were so inclined.
It seems nearly everything is made in China now.
Even DOG food made in china is being recalled after over 1,000 animals died after eating them. So, yeah, pretty safe bet on not buying food from there.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2014/06/11/petsmart_and_petco_chains_pull_chinesemade_dog_treats_from_shelves.html

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Food is a no for me. Pet food either.

I think Karl K mentioned knives and the reason for this is the metallurgical standards for producing better metals is way below the standards in the US and other countries. Your stainless steel and other types are generally an inferior product. Buck Knives sources some of their lower priced products (for Walmart and the like) in China but most of them are made here locally. Many cheaper hand tools like Harbor Freight carries are made in China and that's fine if you want a tool to last only several times or a year or two. Its all in the metal.

ETA I would not want my doctor operating on me with implements made in China.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results