shape
carat
color
clarity

Lent

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
What are you giving up for Lent?

I am considering giving up something gemstone related. I spend _a lot_ of time on here, and lately I have been using up all my bling budget when in the past I was able to save it up.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snow

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am doing Lent the reverse of how I have in the past - instead of giving up, I'm doing something I usually don't: grace before every meal.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am considering not buying gemstones...but I already have my eye on one. Sigh.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not particularly religious but for traditional and spiritual reasons like to participate in Lent. As part of lent I'm reducing "aimless internet surfing". However while I let myself look when I'm taking my lunch break, but will try to refrain when at home.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Sometimes not doing it at all is is actually easier than trying to reduce.

Ximena

Rough_Rock
The usual: Animal protein, Starbucks, refined sugars and unnecessary shopping.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Giving up self-denial

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ximena|1394133922|3628776 said:
The usual: Animal protein, Starbucks, refined sugars and unnecessary shopping.

Yeah I'm not going all in but will not eat meat but will allow myself fish on Sat and Sunday, and no wine/etoh on weekdays, "try" to eliminate sweets (but I know I won't be perfect). I've tried the full lent before and it pretty much kills me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swearing and refined sugar, and then I just realized I had chocolate cake for breakfast and I said "sh**". Darn, messed up already! :lol:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I'm giving up Facebook. I've done that for a few years and I feel better each time.
I have also decided to continue the tradition I started 4 years ago. I write letters, you know the kind you hand write and put stamps on? Lol I try to write a letter a day to someone who has influenced my life. I do this when I would otherwise be trolling FB.
They are just little notes telling the person what their being in my life has meant to me. I've written to HS girlfriends, cousins, colleagues most relatives and other random friends. I was happy I wrote to my mom a few years ago, she passed away before the next year. My sister framed hers!!
The reaction has been only positive. Last year a friend wrote one to me, I influenced her to write to people!!

I am struggling this year, I feel compelled to write to my brother but we have have an incredibly horrific relationship since my mom passed and I'm really torn.

The letters are usually short, and I scrapbook so I embellish them.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklelu said:
I'm giving up Facebook. I've done that for a few years and I feel better each time.
I have also decided to continue the tradition I started 4 years ago. I write letters, you know the kind you hand write and put stamps on? Lol I try to write a letter a day to someone who has influenced my life. I do this when I would otherwise be trolling FB.
They are just little notes telling the person what their being in my life has meant to me. I've written to HS girlfriends, cousins, colleagues most relatives and other random friends. I was happy I wrote to my mom a few years ago, she passed away before the next year. My sister framed hers!!
The reaction has been only positive. Last year a friend wrote one to me, I influenced her to write to people!!

I am struggling this year, I feel compelled to write to my brother but we have have an incredibly horrific relationship since my mom passed and I'm really torn.

What a fantastically wonderful idea! I absolutely love the idea of writing letters. What a wonderful, surprising gift it would be to receive one. Thank you for sharing. I will start that today. Have a couple of days to catch up on!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'm giving up WF's website, so my bank account can recover! :lol: :lol: :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklelu - I love your letters idea! And I probably should give up FB - and PS, truth be told - but well, not this year.

I'm taking on a discipline - morning devotional time.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
purplesparklies|1394198050|3629242 said:
Sparklelu said:

What a fantastically wonderful idea! I absolutely love the idea of writing letters. What a wonderful, surprising gift it would be to receive one. Thank you for sharing. I will start that today. Have a couple of days to catch up on!

That is really so inspiring! I really miss writing notes and letters. Think I will have to look for some nice stationery and buy some pretty stamps.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the positive response. I've done two so far, and know who gets tomorrow's and Saturday. After that, I wait for the spirit to move me.
We had a death in our faculty yesterday and last year I wrote to her as she was diagnosed with Brain cancer metastasized from BC and was such a determined tough lady and I told her how she was an inspiration to the kids to never give up. She had told me at Relay for Life that she really appreciated it. I had also given her a silly cancer sucks pin in her note and she wore it daily. I'm so glad I wrote to her!
You don't have to write everyday, just a few and you feel great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results