shape
carat
color
clarity

Help needed with french cut diamond band reset. Take 2!!!

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I tend to be wordy, so I will try to keep it quick. Here's the post about the FC band I had made. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-band-with-french-cut-diamonds.188782/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-dream-band-with-french-cut-diamonds.188782/page-2[/URL]
Fast forward two weeks, I noticed a gap in the diamonds. BIG MISTAKE to just not let it go. But I could see metal between the diamonds. Took it back and asked if the jeweler that made the ring to fix, they said yes. I get it back. They decided to take it apart and rearrange the diamonds. Fast forward a month, I noticed that some diamonds had gotten loose. Had it tightened. Two months later, they were loose again, so I take it back to the original jeweler and tell them about it. They said that they'd fix it. I get it back and they tell me they took it apart AGAIN! And added a little metal....you get the picture. At this point, I was really nervous they were going to ruin these stones.
I finally tell them that I am upset about the fact that I have a band that is defective and they say that the diamonds should have never been channel set in the first place and didn't realize it until the bench started to set the diamonds. GRRR. Anyway, I returned it and replaced it with a beautiful piece, but I kept wanting my FCs back.
I started talking to some PSers that had gone thru the process of having FC bands made, spoke with Leon Mege about potentially having a five stone made. We got on the subject of high crown antique FCs and I started to realize it might be worth eating the cost of the ring to make sure they were preserved (on my right hand :tongue: )

Soooo here I am, I went thru all of that off of PS. I will not be doing that again. I really think PS is useful in that the members on here catch things I should have caught in the process. I just can't afford to get this wrong again. Half the parcel has higher crowns, half have medium...I think this was the channel problem. However, whoever I choose to work with will have to be someone I trust to tell me this. But the plan is to split the parcel, make a five stone for me. Use the others as credit if the jeweler will let me trade them in. Or sell seven or five (I can make little earrings with the extra two if I split into a five/five parcel). There are 12 stones. ~3.3 to 3.5mm square.

I spoke to LM about the five stone before I bought my band back. I am not sure he'd even entertain using my stones in the ring and/or taking the extra for trade. I have also contacted Singlestone. Both are really expensive, but I HAVE to have someone who is the best for this project.
I am not in a hurry either. I want to do this right this time.
So,
1. LM or SS? OR other? Any vendors I haven't considered? I would need them to fully back their craftmanship. The stones have to be safe for me to be happy.
2. Any ideas for design? I will post a few things I have seen that I like in a sec.
3. Should I try to trade? Or sell?

I may even have extra platinum. The current ring is 10.5g with the stones. Its a solid piece. I doubt I would need that for a five stone.

Oh well, so much for short!!! :oops: :oops:

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Help needed with french cut diamond band reset. Take 2!

First - I'm excited for you that you are keeping your FC diamonds and making a ring/earrings out of them. I think if you're comfortable working with him, then Leon is a possibility. However, because these are antique stones, I would commission SS to make the ring. They're used to working with antique diamonds, and obviously french cuts as well (or it would seem). Yes, Leon is obviously used to working them as well. Just curious though...have you considered SK or VC as well?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Out of curiosity would you be interested in a bigger stone to put in the middle? I had been thinking of buying two of BrightIce's stones to put on either side of mine but I have decided not to do that and I am back to having no idea what to do with mine. It is high domed a genuine antique and 5.70 x 6.01 by 6.10 deep. It would look exceedingly cool with 2 x or 4 x French cuts on each side of it.

Alternatively when you figure out what you want to keep, if you do end up selling yours let me know how much you want for them;

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/price-slashed-1-dot-10-carat-oec-in-bezel-setting-for-sale-at-jbeg

If you do make a band with 5 of yours they possibly need to be well calibrated so the same length up and down or the band needs to taper a little the same amount as the stones if they are slightly different sizes, alternatively set them in a prong or a shared prong style ring to prevent them coming loose.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

I think the first ring is David Klass? Forgive me if I don't give correct credit. Tying to remember who owns these beauties... I like the flower detailing on the side of this one

I also love the engraving and milgrain around the stone. I think this would look amazing around the frame of a five stone. IF the FCs can be bezeled. I would even be okay with each being bezeled then having the frame around all of them. Does that make sense? It would fix the problem of not being about to channel set right?

And I couldn't leave out Demelza's ring. I like the side detailing here too.

1497697_561693230580152_516556064_n.jpg

fretm_002.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

SparklyOEC|1393900983|3626953 said:
First - I'm excited for you that you are keeping your FC diamonds and making a ring/earrings out of them. I think if you're comfortable working with him, then Leon is a possibility. However, because these are antique stones, I would commission SS to make the ring. They're used to working with antique diamonds, and obviously french cuts as well (or it would seem). Yes, Leon is obviously used to working them as well. Just curious though...have you considered SK or VC as well?

Thanks SparklyOEC :wavey: I haven't read much about SK, but heard he is very skilled. I have seen the most work with FCs from LM and SS. I did consider VC, but I think I read somewhere he didn't work with his client's own FC diamonds. I get why. You just never know what you are getting as far as condition with them.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gemfever had a beautiful 5 stone made with her FCs. Also, have you talked to Grace? She has a parcel she hasn't shared yet.... Wonder what her plans are for fives stones.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

arkieb1|1393901375|3626955 said:
Out of curiosity would you be interested in a bigger stone to put in the middle? I had been thinking of buying two of BrightIce's stones to put on either side of mine but I have decided not to do that and I am back to having no idea what to do with mine. It is high domed a genuine antique and 5.70 x 6.01 by 6.10 deep. It would look exceedingly cool with 2 x or 4 x French cuts on each side of it.

Alternatively when you figure out what you want to keep, if you do end up selling yours let me know how much you want for them;

http://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/price-slashed-1-dot-10-carat-oec-in-bezel-setting-for-sale-at-jbeg

If you do make a band with 5 of yours they possibly need to be well calibrated so the same length up and down or the band needs to taper a little the same amount as the stones if they are slightly different sizes, alternatively set them in a prong or a shared prong style ring to prevent them coming loose.

Hmmm...that does sound really neat. However, I think I am set on a simple straight across five stone. Have you considered making a pendant with it? That would be totally unique! Where in the world did you find it? I have only seen the stone Circe (?) bought in the halo ring.
Will definitely be in touch when I know what the plan is. I guess I just need to pick a vendor.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Mayk|1393902334|3626967 said:
Gemfever had a beautiful 5 stone made with her FCs. Also, have you talked to Grace? She has a parcel she hasn't shared yet.... Wonder what her plans are for fives stones.

I actually had gotten in touch with Gemfever when the idea of selling the "new" ring and buying back my band was in the back of my mind. She gave me a TON of info and so did BrightIce.
I have left Grace alone for a while. I feel like she and Erica helped me so much with my ER, I want to give them business when I am more stable? :lol: And with custom, I need some hand holding. I may reach out to her though. Maybe having a new setting for FCs would be a good addition to their new line? So far it is amazing.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you considered a prong set 5 in a line style ring, someone on here has one and it looks amazing!!! Everyone keeps telling me to turn it into a pendant but I would probably never wear it if it was....

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

arkieb1, yes. Just don't know about the safety thing. If I can, I think I want something with a little more protection. But it is something I will ask the vendor about when I figure that part out. There was a pic somewhere of a ring that had shared prongs and the prongs looked like claw prongs. It was really pretty.

ps. Have you see the pic below? You have probably seen it for ideas for your larger french cut. Oops, it won't let me post the pic, but it is a french cut three stone ring (bezeled). If you search that on Pinterest, it is the one from hancocks-london.com

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Any opinions about setting in this finish gold?
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=9&pID=68&startRow=11
(See the rose cut bezel eternity in 18K YG

With Five bezeled FCs across the top?
http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=9&pID=123&startRow=10
(See the FC bezel band)

I think if I did this color gold, it would kinda need a victorian look? Or is this too much a fad. Originally, I was thinking platinum, but the color of the finish on the metal, makes the stones really pop. Which is what I want.
Is there a difference in durability between doing an 18K and Platinum ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results