• No

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
We own two homes under the same roof, in that we own a duplex. I voted other :) One house, two homes.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We are currently renting the home we live in now but purchased our "forever" home for when we retire a couple of months ago. We will try to go there a couple of times a year and in the meantime we have a security system and friends that check on the place while we're away.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Ha! We don't even own the first one since we got stuck in the great mortgage bubble a few years ago.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
manderz|1393292793|3622353 said:
We own two homes under the same roof, in that we own a duplex. I voted other :) One house, two homes.

now that is smart homeownership: duplex! for the win.
sorry for the thread jack......

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We own 2 homes but eventually plan on downsizing and selling our NYC co-op and retiring to our beach house. But time will tell because as we all know how the best laid plans have a way of going awry...but as of now that's the plan.

While we have owned 2 homes since 1999 (this current beach house for a few years as we sold our original beach house for a more suitable one to retire to) just recently we have stopped traveling anywhere but between our 2 homes which is perfect for us at this time in our life. We have traveled all over and at this point I don't care for traveling much anymore. The hassle of packing, waiting on lines, flying and all the unpleasantness that goes with it. I do not miss it. I wouldn't change all the travel we experienced when we were younger but at this point I am glad to not be doing it.

Instead we go to our beach house whenever we have time off and enjoy all that there is to do there. I truly feel like I am on vacation but have all my comforts that I wouldn't have if traveling. Our bed (I am a difficult sleeper), our kitties, our bikes. I am very content with the way we go on vacation these days so having 2 homes for us is worthwhile though expensive and it is a lot of work. But we are saving money on traveling and it is an investment in our future and most importantly we truly enjoy (and spend a lot of time in) both homes.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie|1393305067|3622490 said:

now that is smart homeownership: duplex! for the win.
sorry for the thread jack......

Thanks! It was the husband's idea, and he had to work to convince me (I wanted an older, big and lovely Victorian, he the up and down duplex). But, it works out well. We have help with the mortgage, and we also get to be there for my elderly MIL, who needs some help every now and again.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My sister and I bought a second home for our family in RI a couple of years back and were also lucky to purchase the property next door as well. We converted the home to have a common dining room, kitchen, and gathering room, with 2 master bedrooms with baths on opposite sides on the main level. The second floor has 4 bedrooms with 2 baths - queen size Murphy beds in 2 rooms, and built in bunks in the other 2 rooms. There is also a walkout basement apartment where my nephew lives and basically takes care of the property year round (he lives there rent free and just pays for utilities.

On the adjoining property there is a rental, plus a barn where my nephew runs his business - he pays rent for use of the building.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Sparklelu|1393213528|3621606 said:
About 17 years ago we owned an acre in fancy Southampton NY. We were going to build a summer house to escape Florida summers. Reverse snowbirds! Sadly, we needed to sell it to pay off huge medical bills from my Breast Cancer and my oldest DS's spinal surgery. He and another kid were wrestling and he was dropped on his head he dislocated C6 and C7 and had spinal fusion surgery that resulted in a staph infection in the donor site (his hip) and we accrued over $75,000 in random medical bills!
Glad we owned the land it helped us keep our house!!

Sorry to interrupt.

Whenever I hear stories like this, I'm still amazed this happens in the States. Selling a place to pay for medical bills? Nuts.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Own one home only and frankly it is hard enough to keep one home clean and updated.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yep. 6 months at the Florida house and 6 months at the Michigan house. And this winter has shown it to be the right decision.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
We own two. When we bought our house in Oklahoma we always intended to rent it out when we left. So, we bought our current house in NJ this summer and are currently leasing out the old house in OK.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I put other because we don't have a "2nd home" like that just sits empty until we want to go on vacation, but we do own 2 other houses besides the one we own and they are rented out. I put "other" and I explained :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I joke to my husband that my dream house is a duplex - with doors between our bedrooms. We are still happily married after over a score of years, but our differences are so great in some areas it seems like it would be nice. I'm clean and messy - he's neat and dirty. You'd think our house would be clean and neat but it's more messy and dirty :(

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1393995919|3627729 said:
I joke to my husband that my dream house is a duplex - with doors between our bedrooms. We are still happily married after over a score of years, but our differences are so great in some areas it seems like it would be nice. I'm clean and messy - he's neat and dirty. You'd think our house would be clean and neat but it's more messy and dirty :(

That is hilarious!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results