shape
carat
color
clarity

Share your hobbies here :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Figured there are lots of hobbies on here other than just diamonds (pretty sure we've had older threads on this as well) but I am going to learn the art of weaving and thought I'd see if anyone else has any 'unique' hobbies that some people raise their eye brows at ::) I am very excited about this new venture though since I love the fiber arts (as much as I love diamonds).

It's a Nilus Leclerc 45" floor loom. The Lord blessed me with this loom-who's owner wove until she was 92 years of age-with it FOR FREE! It even came with a matching bench (all maple we believe) and is made in Canada! It also came with some fiber (assuming rug fiber) as well as the shuttles. I am pretty certain I am going to need to get a few other things to make life easier to weave but I'm just grateful that I have one at all. They usually run around 500-600$ used and I'm not sure what they cost new but they are still in production.

For those who don't know-I can use this to make pretty much anything. Rugs-curtains-towels-BABY WRAPS While waiting on my wrap I met with the weaver and fell in love with the process. A friend of mine was gifted a free floor loom (smaller than this) and I said to my husband wouldn't it be nice if the Lord blessed us with a floor loom to weave baby wraps with? A few months later this found it's way home to me. It's the little things like this that shows me that God does give us the desires of our hearts-this one I wasn't expecting at all.

There is a lot to the craft but I am ready for the challenge.

So-what is YOUR unique hobby?

Edit: To change pictures and also to say the photos of woven items I didn't make but I do own and inspired me to learn the craft!

1522187_10151779562077553_784900151_0.jpg

1483373_237269416442402_1737491647_0.jpg

1522258_10202940987866057_554872627_n.jpg

img_3838.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Whoa. Lovely stuff there!

Well I don't know how 'unique' they are...

I'm a long-time beader, so make 90% of what I wear. Comes in handy when it's time to give small gifts. I work in silver, gold, brass, copper and semi-precious stones.

I also make soap, hand-lotion and lip balms. Most of the store-bought stuff doesn't agree with me.

Houseplants - especially cacti and succulents. Grow, collect, pinterest daily photos of them. Can't get enough of those succulents. Come spring and summer, they all go outside in containers. I don't buy annuals then.

I am thinking about taking up weaving :lol:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Begonia|1393876374|3626621 said:
Whoa. Lovely stuff there!

Well I don't know how 'unique' they are...

I'm a long-time beader, so make 90% of what I wear. Comes in handy when it's time to give small gifts. I work in silver, gold, brass, copper and semi-precious stones.

I also make soap, hand-lotion and lip balms. Most of the store-bought stuff doesn't agree with me.

Houseplants - especially cacti and succulents. Grow, collect, pinterest daily photos of them. Can't get enough of those succulents. Come spring and summer, they all go outside in containers. I don't buy annuals then.

I am thinking about taking up weaving :lol:

That is amazing begonia! Do you have pictures to share? I'd love to see them. I'm thinking of making my own stuff too (have the supplies) but my first go at shampoo didn't end well a few years ago. :lol:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the baby wrap. Beautiful colors. Very cool.

I don't have any unique hobbies. I know how to throw clay on the pottery wheel, which isn't a totally common hobby, but not unique either.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW they are beautiful, I bet you can't wait to make some really great things with it!!!!!

I read obsessively that is my hobby :lol: & we have Scottish Terriers we are attempting to breed.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, very pretty!

JD has many hobbies. I...don't. I like to scrapbook, but haven't since I was pregnant w/Trapper, so about 7 years. I would say landscaping. It's only part of the year but it's certainly an enjoyable part of the year! It's coming up soon too and boy oh boy are we ready to get back out into the yard.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1393893332|3626868 said:
WOW they are beautiful, I bet you can't wait to make some really great things with it!!!!!

I read obsessively that is my hobby :lol: & we have Scottish Terriers we are attempting to breed.

Reading is my primary hobby, also. It seems we have a lot of readers here on PS. In RL only a few people I know have so many books that they've run out of bookcase space (like I also have). It's always a bit sad when I visit someone and they don't own any books.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock
Going to the gym used to be my hobby (I lost 50 pounds about 6 years ago) but due to work stress, I would say drinking is my new hobby :devil:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not unique, but I do ballet. I learned it as an adult.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a quilter. Here are a couple of my quilts. I have probably made several hundred but I mostly give them away. The heart quilt is almost done, I just have one more border to put on. It is for my daughter. The snowboarder quilt is in my son's room and the other embroidered quilts hang in my home.

Vintagelover, that loom is amazing! What an awesome blessing! I would love to learn how to do that! So cool!

img_3896.jpg

img_3898.jpg

img_3899.jpg

img_3901.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1393893070|3626861 said:
Love the baby wrap. Beautiful colors. Very cool.

I don't have any unique hobbies. I know how to throw clay on the pottery wheel, which isn't a totally common hobby, but not unique either.

MC: I used to read A LOT (it was a coping mechanism) but not much anymore. My issue is I get LOST in a book. I'm hard to pull back to reality and I can't get anything done and I get SO engrossed in the book that I actually am kind of a bi*** if I'm interrupted or have to stop part way though. I should get over that bc I miss it!

Also-throwing pottery is AMAZING. I would LOVE to own a potty wheel (with plans to do so in the future) and its SO rewarding and so much fun. If all goes well with my loom I might barter with a local lady (who did agree to discount lessons for my baked goods lol) to get back into it for woven goods or trade lessons. I took 2 classes in college and was hooked! Do you have pictures of your work?

arkieb1 said:

Pictures please! Puppies are SO cute and good ethical breeders are always needed.

packrat said:
Wow, very pretty!

JD has many hobbies. I...don't. I like to scrapbook, but haven't since I was pregnant w/Trapper, so about 7 years. I would say landscaping. It's only part of the year but it's certainly an enjoyable part of the year! It's coming up soon too and boy oh boy are we ready to get back out into the yard.

Landscaping is greatly needed around my house and I have loads of plans to turn our house into a green self sustaining (as possible) perma-cultre of loveliness. I'd love to see what you've done. I also think scrap-booking is amazing but I don't have the time/patience for it. You really need to be organized with your pictures/supplies and I always dream of doing them but photobooks have taken the need away from that lol! You should get back into it or do something similar (maybe with your landscaping stuff) if you enjoy it.

charleston1 said:
Going to the gym used to be my hobby (I lost 50 pounds about 6 years ago) but due to work stress, I would say drinking is my new hobby :devil:

Good for you! The gym is a great hobby-you can't ever go wrong there. Besides drinking is a high sugar sport and needs to be worked off if you want to do it right ;)) :lol: :knockout:

anne_h said:
Not unique, but I do ballet. I learned it as an adult.

Really anne!? I think that is AMAZING and have always wanted to learn (I have the flexibility of a board though). Was it super hard? I actually have looked into lessons more than once in my life but felt I was too old. Now you have my mind going. Great now my list of stuff to learn before I die is getting even longer.

Musical:
Harp
Cello (I play the violin)
Guitar
Piano
Flute

Arts:
Paint
Pottery
Weaving
Photography
Sewing
(more that I"m probably forgetting)

I also want to silversmith and do stain glass. Oh and wood working. Man I need about 50 lives!!

Did I mention I have an interest in bee keeping as well? I know-I'm crazy :???: I also think I'm allergic. Only stung once but that was when I was a kid and didn't go well. Haven't had one since and haven't been tested but I doubt bee keeping would be a good thing for someone with potential allergies lol!

luv2sparkle said:
I am a quilter. Here are a couple of my quilts. I have probably made several hundred but I mostly give them away. The heart quilt is almost done, I just have one more border to put on. It is for my daughter. The snowboarder quilt is in my son's room and the other embroidered quilts hang in my home.

Vintagelover, that loom is amazing! What an awesome blessing! I would love to learn how to do that! So cool!

Your quilts are beautiful! I LOVE them. I was gifted one from my SIL for our wedding and it's the only quilt I've ever gotten. She has a ton and I wish I could learn. I'm actually apart of a pins and needles guild and the ladies there are always showing me their lovelies and I stare longingly at them.

Thank you everyone for sharing!

One of the things I'm most excited about with this hobby is the bartering aspect of it. Since I will have such a unique product I can barter for stained glass-quilts-art-you name it!

I love to barter :)

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Vintagelover, I am glad I am not the only one who wants to do everything!!!! There are so many cool things out there I would love to try (now I have to add weaving to the list...). We are refurbishing a 1966 Shasta travel trailer, that has been going on for years now luckily it is in good basic shape so we have been able to take it on many camping trips making awesome memories. Another love is kayaking we do this all spring summer and fall as soon as ice is out and hiking is a big one for us, we are planning a thru hike of the SHT this coming fall but my biggest hobbie is gardening :love: if I am not planting or moving/splitting stuff I am dreaming about it, drawing it, reading about it or making lists about it.

img_0452_0.jpg

Some pics of one of my gardens from last summer

img_0544.jpg

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Not unique, but I've been into photography for the last three year or so. Lifestyle portraits are my favorite, but I don't feel comfortable sharing here since most are of my son. Here are a couple of sky images I took last weekend though.

sky2.jpg

_15486.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think they are all that unique, but people seem surprised when I mention what I enjoy doing. Guess it is not the sort of thing they'd picture me doing?

current hobbies:

rifle shooting (targets only!)
handgun shooting (targets only!)
airplane restoration
flying (working on pilot's license)
cooking (love trying dishes from all around the world)
gardening (fruits/veggies & flowers -- redoing the whole yard!)
learning new skills (toilet installation, house wiring, dishwasher repair, etc)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh those garden pictures are glorious! JD heard birds singing this morning when he went out to warm up my truck so Spring HAS to be coming soon! Once the snow is gone we'll be taking "tours" every afternoon to see if anything is coming up yet. He laughs at me every year, but I always am clapping and jumping up and down when the first green starts to come up. I've got like three yard threads on here...I'm a shameless braggart about our yards, I freely admit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results