shape
carat
color
clarity

My 6.05 carat blue sapphire has arrived!

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
Gosh, I must have stepped into an anti-halo thread. :lol:

Hmmm, if I do own an oval sapphire around 3 carats, I will absolutely do it the classic Princess D's style. Totally dreamy. :love:

But LeaD is right, 5 carats with halo is kinda too much.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your honest opinions! I'm coming around to the idea of a three stone ring. My mum has a large haloed tanzanite in her locker which I'm going to get her to bring home so that I can see its proportions on my finger. Ultimately I don't want a cocktail ring that I would only occasionally wear, I want to be able to wear it daily to work.

There seem to be very few three stone rings with half moons on pricescope and even the portfolios of leon mege, victor canera etc seem to mostly have rings with trillions or trapezoids. Why are they so rare? And how do I go about buying the sidestones? Half moons are not listed on any of the diamond searches. What size sidestones would look good for my size of sapphire?

If you have any handshots of three stone rings please post them!

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions iluvgemstones but I have my heart set on some diamond bling in the ring. And yes I am so lucky! This ring will commemorate the birth of our third baby girl :twirl:

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Syd! I have three baby girls also and the youngest just turned three. They love gems and jewelry too! Three girls is a lot of fun!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowyrin|1392286630|3614227 said:
Are you saying my 5 carat spinel halo ring is too much for everyday wear? :tongue:

Syd,
I would inquire with GOG and ERD for a lower cost cast French Cut band. I'm thinking it might probably be closer to the $4K range compared to VC's $7K price tag. Half moons are not common and I would have the jeweller/bench source the pair for me. They would know what size and proportions are best for your design and stone.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, your ring belongs in a museum and it is so cool that you can wear it whenever you want. I am making a mini version of that and would love your help - your ring is my inspiration. :love: I will start another thread soon.

Syd, you could always do round or oval diamond sidestones too. It will be a stunner for sure!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILG,
That's a huge compliment. Thank you. Looking forward to your new project thread.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's what I would do if money were no object (it's from Leon Mege):

lm_frenchcut.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392308081|3614374 said:
Are you saying my 5 carat spinel halo ring is too much for everyday wear? :tongue:

Syd,
I would inquire with GOG and ERD for a lower cost cast French Cut band. I'm thinking it might probably be closer to the $4K range compared to VC's $7K price tag. Half moons are not common and I would have the jeweller/bench source the pair for me. They would know what size and proportions are best for your design and stone.

Yeah, but Chrono, keep in mind syd's stone is 6 carats (notice how I deftly avoided your question there? :wink2: )

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
You know I would still halo a 6 carat stone and wear it everyday if the stone called for the design. :halo: :bigsmile: Yes, I've definitely graduated from thinking that 6 mm is huge.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cokitty's red spinel with half moon sides. The setting is by Steven Kirsch and I think the orice will be around 5.000 $. Your stone is bigger though, so it might be higher.

_14882.jpg

_14883.jpg

_14884.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1392325005|3614648 said:
Minou,
You know I would still halo a 6 carat stone and wear it everyday if the stone called for the design. :halo: :bigsmile: Yes, I've definitely graduated from thinking that 6 mm is huge.

And you with your beautiful hands could totally pull it off, I'm sure.

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock

I'm saying it will be too much for my finger. Phew... :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pregcurious said:
Here's what I would do if money were no object (it's from Leon Mege):

I agree, only with matching french cut calibre *sapphires*. I just saw a vintage Deco piece featuring an enormous sapphire cab done in this style, and it was BREATHTAKING.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Acinom|1392326661|3614675 said:
Cokitty's red spinel with half moon sides. The setting is by Steven Kirsch and I think the orice will be around 5.000 $. Your stone is bigger though, so it might be higher.

That's exactly the ring that came to mind when I saw this sapphire!

syd

Shiny_Rock
I managed to get my hands on my mum's tanzanite set, and ok I agree that a halo would be a bit too much, unless it was a delicate pave, which I don't want. Not sure what size the melee is in the setting, my guess is 5 pointers? My husband however loves the halo and seems to think I could carry it off on a daily basis... even wear it on the subway for my commute to work! LOL Anyway, I think I'm leaning towards the half moon sides and have emailed a few people to get quotes, hope I hear back soon!

Attached are a few comparison photos I took of the tanzanite ring and the sapphire, they're about the same size I think. Also attached one of the whole set, although the pictures aren't great. The tanzanites look darker in the photo than IRL.

img_20140214_142609.jpg

img_20140214_142236.jpg

img_20140214_142420.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Your mom's tanzy set is beautiful! But I do agree that the big stone with a sizable melee looks a little fancy for everyday wear. I absolutely LOVE Circe's idea of calibrated sapphire sides. If you need more inspiration/ideas, Lang's has quite a few big sapphire's in beautiful settings.

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
Oh my... How did I not notice its a fat sapphire when you first posted. Gonna love how fat sapphire look with half moon diamonds. :love: Here's a proportion I've seen online.

1.27 ratio oval sapphire with half moons
image_1226.jpg

Ignore the cut. I've no idea what's going on with those mini squares.

syd

Shiny_Rock
Snowyrin, what do you mean by 1.27 ratio?

I heard back from Whiteflash who said they would only do custom work if the stone was purchased from them?!?! This is news to me. Which are your favourite setting vendors?

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
It's the length by width ratio used to determine an oval. A standard oval has a ratio of 1.5, you can check yours by taking the length divide by the width. As the ratio decrease, the fatter the oval. Have a look. I love fat ovals for their cushion-liked look.

image_1229.jpg

As for the vendors, I guess others can help? I don't set my jewelry overseas.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have an oval with a ratio of 1.3. and I agree that fatter ovals look like cushions if they are set to emphasize their width.

syd

Shiny_Rock
One quote I've received is for 5.8x3.5mm half moon sidestones for my 10.4x8.8mm oval. Does this proportion seem ok? Is there a guideline for size of sidestones in a three stone ring?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there are any set guidelines because it is all about your preference as to the proportions you like. If you think a halo is too large and blingy, will half moon sidestones make the ring even bigger? The side stones will be angled, of course, so it will not spill over to the adjacent fingers but they add far more width than a halo ring.

LeaD

Rough_Rock

Only fools and dead men (or women) don't change their mind.
Yours definitely do not look like too much and neither should it be kept most days in a safe - that would really be a shame.
Even though as of now, I would say neither pear-shaped, neither halo, yours would still attract my eyes and distract me from my previous longings.
Difficult balance to find to get a setting that helps enhance the stone, fits the fingers of the wearer, corresponds to the wearer's style. Not even talking about the husband/fiancé input.

Syd, not sure if that might help you. You might try to visualize the coverage and proportion of the main stone and side stones by cutting cardboard pieces, with the dimensions provided by your quotes, both at the right size or *5, and try with other smaller or bigger options to try to understand the difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results