shape
carat
color
clarity

Crystallized fire

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. Sphalerite is one amazing gem.

This species has interested me since forever. I didn't want to spend much money (me has none) and most sphalerite being sold is in larger sizes, probably because it's not lucrative to sell a small, cheap gem.

Well I found one just over a carat from The Gem Trader. I wanted a green one but Brad only had orange. This thing is very sparkly. I challenge you to find something better for $20-$30.

I have a question. In what way is the refractive index connected to dispersion?

Diamond's RI is 2.417 - 2.419
Spahlerite's RI is 2.368 - 2.371 (slightly lower)

But, Sphalerite's dispersion is almost four times higher to the diamond’s dispersion (0.156 against 0.044). They don't seem to be related at all but it's logical to think that they are related in some way. Can someone please explain?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Meet the rest of the high dispersion family: zircon (4mm) and demantoid. The demantoid doesn't look this nice in IRL. The tin foil +natural daylight made it look prettier than it is. I still love it though, and I got it for 20 bucks from Jeff Davies. I swear since he's been added to the trusted vendors thread, his auctions have been going for way more.

First pic - notice the sphalerite has no tilt window.

Second pic - Notice the cool green reflection from the demantoid on the bottom right corner.

Third picture - this one shows the sphalerite's colour accurately.

_15381.jpg

_15382.jpg

_15383.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
So you know how the RT threads have fire shots? Well, now we have fire too :twisted: :cheeky:

Sorry they're all sideways.

20140222_093934.jpg

20140222_094006_0_.jpg

20140222_093916.jpg

20140222_094007.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I copied -- or, erm -- recreated Kenny's lime/fcd shot with my sphalerite. The results were mediocre at best. But,I had lots of fun.

Thanks Kenny for the sudden inspiration and for bothering to write up the method of how to do it!

Original photo w/ method [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/page-2[/URL]

It wasn't easy because the only white buckets we have are these giant barrel like ones that my dad uses to make wine in. Not practical. There was also a hole in the lemon (as you can see) which all the light came out of. That's where the sphalerite was originally meant to go but I made it too big, so I think it kinda ruined the shot.

dsc00546.jpg

dsc00542.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I took a photo in the middle of class just for fun. I bet no one on PS has done that yet! :praise:

Vendor photo below too. Quite accurate.

_15385.jpg

_15387.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for blabbering so much :oops: I get really excited about CS, especially this sphalerite!

Hope you enjoyed looking. ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're classroom photo is the most adorable thing I've seen today lol

Looks lovely!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1393527780|3624137 said:
So you know how the RT threads have fire shots? Well, now we have fire too :twisted: :cheeky:

That's not fire; it's a laser beam! :-o :bigsmile:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG, I wish I had started collecting gems in high school....Then I really never would have done any schoolwork!

I love your little collection! You certainly have a great eye for stones with lots of dispersion!

More pics please!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I was just thinking to myself that i must have made a mistake in thinking you were 16 yrs old. I thought I must have read that wrong.
Then school pictures showed up. I am amazed at your knowledge and interest and coherent writing skills. I think you're tops. I love having you on this forum and I suspect others feel the same.

Your stone is lovely and you did capture the dispersion. I wish you every good wish and hope your parents are proud of you.

Annette

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for being so nice all the time.

Niel - Hehe, thanks -- glad you like it!

Chrono - That is a better way of putting it for sure. There are these reeeeaaaally nice light blue sparkles that come off it too but alas they're too brief to catch on camera.

Freke - Thanks Freke! If I feel like taking more I'll post them. I don't think I'll feel like it any time soon because I dropped it and it has a little chip now - I'm a bit scared of taking it out the case!

Annette - Thank you so much, your wishes are appreciated. If only other people could understand how amazing I really am :bigsmile:

But seriously, my interest in CS is mostly a byproduct of boredom. I believe I will always love and collect CS but this is probably the peak of my interest.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I have to say, that if you're bored now in high school, you'll probably be bored in college too.

(How do you think I got so many posts?! Posting to PS was all I did when I was in class!)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You're too much, LK! I have a big grin from looking at your photos & enjoying how much fun you had taking them. :)) Wait till you get to physics -- you're a natural! Nice colors together, all your playmates, too.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1393527502|3624131 said:
Meet the rest of the high dispersion family: zircon (4mm) and demantoid. The demantoid doesn't look this nice in IRL. The tin foil +natural daylight made it look prettier than it is. I still love it though, and I got it for 20 bucks from Jeff Davies. I swear since he's been added to the trusted vendors thread, his auctions have been going for way more.

First pic - notice the sphalerite has no tilt window.

Second pic - Notice the cool green reflection from the demantoid on the bottom right corner.

Third picture - this one shows the sphalerite's colour accurately.

I have a sphalerite trillion very much like yours, except I think it's slightly more yellow, and yes, no tilt window. Even on diamonds, you can see a tilt window, but it's hard to spy one on a sphalerite. They're such amazing gems, but too soft for jewelry unfortunately. :blackeye:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild said:
Well, I have to say, that if you're bored now in high school, you'll probably be bored in college too.

That's not good news at all :sick: What did you major in? I think I'll stay well away from it :tongue: I plan on going to a prestigious fashion university which is very competitive and lots of work so maybe my experience will be different to yours.

JewelFreak said:
You're too much, LK! I have a big grin from looking at your photos & enjoying how much fun you had taking them. :)) Wait till you get to physics -- you're a natural! Nice colors together, all your playmates, too.

Glad I made you smile. I studied physics for two years but it didn't interest me that much - I'm much more of a bio and chemistry person. Biology is one of my chosen subjects now.

TL said:
I have a sphalerite trillion very much like yours, except I think it's slightly more yellow, and yes, no tilt window. Even on diamonds, you can see a tilt window, but it's hard to spy one on a sphalerite. They're such amazing gems, but too soft for jewelry unfortunately. :blackeye:

I think it's optical properties are soooo cooollll!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting these great pics! I wish they could be mounted, but alas...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1393611574|3624798 said:
FrekeChild said:

That's not good news at all :sick: What did you major in? I think I'll stay well away from it :tongue: I plan on going to a prestigious fashion university which is very competitive and lots of work so maybe my experience will be different to yours.
I have a couple degrees - associates in culinary arts, bachelors in psychology and I also went for a year at the most prestigious culinary school in the country. I actually just finished an application for a MS in counseling.

My husband has a BA, a MA and a PhD in sociology and completed most of a MA in statistics. He's a professor now. And he studied much less than I did. Lol.

I wish you luck. Fashion is not an easy industry to make a name in.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wonderful gems, and pics too. :love:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious said:
Thanks for posting these great pics! I wish they could be mounted, but alas...

Pleasure. :twirl:

FrekeChild said:
I have a couple degrees - associates in culinary arts, bachelors in psychology and I also went for a year at the most prestigious culinary school in the country. I actually just finished an application for a MS in counseling.

My husband has a BA, a MA and a PhD in sociology and completed most of a MA in statistics. He's a professor now. And he studied much less than I did. Lol.

I wish you luck. Fashion is not an easy industry to make a name in.

Whoa, that's impressive. Both you and your husband.

Fashion is definitely a tricky industry. Nowadays it's near impossible to breach into mainstream fashion unless you have lots of luck, are exceptionally talented, have major connections or a mixture of those three things. However, there are niches with decently sized (and growing) markets out there that could use another designer. It's all a matter of finding the one for me and being in the right place at the right time. :wink2:

kenny said:
Wonderful gems, and pics too. :love:

Not as good as your FCDs or pics, but at least I try =) Thanks for the encouragement.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not exactly impressed with my educational background, more like discouraged from how much time it's taken from everything, but without it, I wouldn't be where I am today, so...

There is another poster on PS that was a fashion major in college. I don't remember who it was, though...I just remember reading a discussion about textiles once.

So since this is already a huge threadjack, what do you want to do? Design? Stylist? Buyer? Something else?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Freke, no matter how long it took you I still think your education is impressive. It took my mother like... 20 years to finally finish her teaching license!

''The dream'' is to work as a major designer for a major fashion house but I don't think I will be able to reach that. Realistically, something that is business orientated but still creative would be ideal. I'm not sure of an exact title however. On the other hand I can't help but want to establish my own brand in a small and specific niche with a steady or growing market. I think I'll have a lot more artistic freedom that way even if the money will probably be much less. Basically though, I think it depends on 1) the situation of the fashion industry in the next few years (you never know what happens), 2) how confident I feel in my abilities in the future, 3) my luck and what opportunities I encounter, 4) what I think I'll be happiest doing at the time.

All this career stuff is difficult for me but many kids in my school have no clue what they want to do, so I'm glad I have a general direction.

If you (or anyone else) can offer some advice or opinions I'll gladly listen. I feel a little self centered leaving a lengthy post like this all about me but well... you did ask!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did ask, and I'm so glad you answered! My husband does a fair amount of education and career advising with all of the budget cuts going on at universities now, and goodness knows I've had a few different direction changes in my life time, so I'm always interested in this kind of stuff.

It sounds like you have a more realistic mindset, which a lot of people don't have. I was one of those people who had no idea what I wanted to do when I got out of high school, and I suppose I still am. Believe it or not!

You are very right that you really have no idea what's going to be going on in the fashion industry at any given time. Like, if you had told me when I was in high school what would be happening with Mike Jeffries right now, I would have laughed in your face! Or that Alexander McQueen/Sarah Burton would be making Kate Middleton's wedding dress.

I have to say that I really love that we seem to be headed in a different direction than we were, with things like ModCloth and other retailers seeking out "the little guys" and putting them out there for consumers. I feel like it's less likely that when you go to prom, you'll run into a girl wearing your same dress!

I don't actually know a lot about the fashion industry (even with my love affair with shoes) but I know from all of my years as a pastry chef, that with the introduction to things like social media and a variety of niche TV channels, that it's about bringing your A game ALL OF THE TIME, and constantly striving to be better, bigger, more interesting/weird and always clawing your way to the top. And then, if you get there, there's always someone else clawing at your feet, trying to best you. I guess that's true for just about every industry though, just in varying degrees and amounts of obviousness!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild said:
I did ask, and I'm so glad you answered! My husband does a fair amount of education and career advising with all of the budget cuts going on at universities now, and goodness knows I've had a few different direction changes in my life time, so I'm always interested in this kind of stuff.

What type of stuff have you worked in? If you don't mind me asking.

FrekeChild said:
It sounds like you have a more realistic mindset, which a lot of people don't have. I was one of those people who had no idea what I wanted to do when I got out of high school, and I suppose I still am. Believe it or not!

You are very right that you really have no idea what's going to be going on in the fashion industry at any given time. Like, if you had told me when I was in high school what would be happening with Mike Jeffries right now, I would have laughed in your face! Or that Alexander McQueen/Sarah Burton would be making Kate Middleton's wedding dress.

I have to say that I really love that we seem to be headed in a different direction than we were, with things like ModCloth and other retailers seeking out "the little guys" and putting them out there for consumers. I feel like it's less likely that when you go to prom, you'll run into a girl wearing your same dress!

I don't actually know a lot about the fashion industry (even with my love affair with shoes) but I know from all of my years as a pastry chef, that with the introduction to things like social media and a variety of niche TV channels, that it's about bringing your A game ALL OF THE TIME, and constantly striving to be better, bigger, more interesting/weird and always clawing your way to the top. And then, if you get there, there's always someone else clawing at your feet, trying to best you. I guess that's true for just about every industry though, just in varying degrees and amounts of obviousness!

Haha - do you speak from experience?

I appreciate your input. I definitely agree that persistence, perseverance and constant work are huge factors in one's success. It must be stressful and exhaaausting to be so... active all the time. I believe that if someone wants something to happen, one should act as if they already have what they want. To talk about it here is easy and comfortable but to actually do it in real life is a great challenge.

It's probably not the best that I don't know much about the fashion industry either - I've heard of what is happening to A&F, of course about Kate's dress and I read about the big trends, but I only scrape the surface of what is happening. I'm working on changing that though, by reading various fashion blogs and pinning every fashion thing that catches my eye on pinterest. I think it is good to condition myself like that and keep the creative cogs in my brain stimulated. Plus, it's another thing to keep me from being bored in class!

To keep things slightly on topic - here are two more decent photos of the sphalerite from the last round of photos that I didn't upload before.... :)

20140222_093908.jpg

20140222_093317.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results