carat
color
clarity

Working in healthcare and baring tattoos

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I need some advice....

I work in healthcare as an occupational therapist in a large nursing home full time. Been there 10 years and pretty confident that I am a good therapist.

In the past couple of years, I have added some tattoos, one on each arm near the wrist and of course they are visible when I have shorter sleeves. The tattoos are of my 2 kids' names.

I started dreaming of getting a tattoo sleeve a few years ago and the idea never cooled off...I would really like to get one.

What is stopping me is what people might think at work. I get comments here and there... I don't think anyone so far has dared to give negative comments but I some some people might have preconceived ideas or maybe even shook their heads behind my back.

In my mind, I think hey,one life to live...why not get what I want? On the other hand, I am wondering if baring a sleeve would be too much for people at work....

Any experience with this?? Anyone working in healthcare care to share what they think?

Thanks!!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I work in the mental health field, and at my agency it is considered part of the "dress code" to not have visible tattoos at all. Someone was actually fired over getting one on their neck. Although I don't agree with their decision, you might want to verify what your employer's policy is on this. If it's just a matter of what people might think, I say do what you want and it's YOUR body! If they're offended, they can look elsewhere. I have a few piercings on my ear (two holes, cartilage, tragus, etc.) and I've gotten comments but that's been about it. Mostly it's about how painful they looked, nothing really negative. People are usually more interested than anything else.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The workplace is a funny place.
In return for that paycheck we sometimes have to give up stuff you'd think you should have a right to.
The devil is in the details.

I'd check with HR, and I'd also discuss it with your coworkers, boss and clients.
Also is it a conservative or liberal area?
Do other workers have visible tattoos?

Even if you have the right, you still may opt to do what keeps those around you more comfortable … even if they "should not" care about tattoos.

Others are not how we think they should be.
They are how they are.

Shoulds only exist in our minds, and in life we have to pick out battles.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel you. I am in early childhood education, and except for the janitor at the elementary school, am quite certain I am the most heavily tattooed staff member in the district, and probably will be giving the janitor a run for his money on that as well..

I also am on a tattoo forum and a thread similar (regarding professionals in general) was just brought up again a few days ago.

I am of two minds on it. If I went to a professional, say a chiropractor, OT, Dr., etc, who had visible tattoos, that *for me* would be an instant feeling of camaraderie. However, I understand that there are people who are uncomfortable with the idea/thought of tattoos, or even *seeing* tattoos on someone else.

I feel that the more people who are in professional careers that have tattoos, the better "face" it puts on tattoos in general. Having tattoos does not inhibit ones ability to do ones job. I have had people be completely dumbstruck when they find out I have tattoos-I'm not the "type" I've been told. Last year some of the parents of our preschoolers gave me a few eyebrow raises when they saw my feet and the ones that poke out of my shirt sleeves...but they also see how much I adore their kids. The kids were and are very accepting-to them the tattoos are just a part of Miss Missi. I'm the goofy para w/the Dr. Seuss shirts and tattoos.

If you are concerned, maybe start out w/half sleeves and go from there? Mine will be more "short" sleeves for lack of a better term, about 1/2 way down to my elbow, where a short sleeved shirt would hit. They'll show a little during the warmer months at school but won't be quite as :shock: to most people as full sleeves would be.

Or maybe work on a different body part that won't show, like your back/upper shoulders? Is there a policy on it at your workplace?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I work for a well known large University based hospital, and our tattoo policy is pretty lax. As long as it's not offensive, it's ok to be shown.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Packrat: I also had in mind to get a half sleeve... something feminie, colorful with no black at all...

People are also very surprised with my tattoos. I am 5' tall, chinese, tiny... a little nerdy... I do plan on consulting with my coworkers and possibly department coordinator to see what they think....

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I've worked in healthcare for the past 10 years and have half sleeves (as well as both legs, both feet, my back, etc.). I keep all of my tattoos covered except for the small one on the inside of my wrist. While I agree that my ink does not affect my ability to do my job, I think it's rather distracting to patients and families if they are more focused on my tattoos than their own care. My employer also would not be cool with my baring my arms or legs, so out of respect, I keep them covered.

If you get half sleeves it's very easy to cover them with 3/4 or long sleeves. If I worked in a different industry I would probably be more lax about having something peek out.

What are you thinking of getting, BTW?

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I worked in a hospital and had a small one on my ankle and nobody ever said anything to me about it. I have since done a complete cover-up and have three huge flowers with a butterfly on my leg/foot. I am also trying to look for a job outside of daycare now and I will be wearing pants to any interviews for fear of being judged. I think most younger people (under 40) don't seem to have a problem with it but there are still some old battle axes that scoff at such a thing. If you really want one I would go for it and just start with a half sleeve and go from there.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1393717035|3625486 said:
I've worked in healthcare for the past 10 years and have half sleeves (as well as both legs, both feet, my back, etc.). I keep all of my tattoos covered except for the small one on the inside of my wrist. While I agree that my ink does not affect my ability to do my job, I think it's rather distracting to patients and families if they are more focused on my tattoos than their own care. My employer also would not be cool with my baring my arms or legs, so out of respect, I keep them covered.

If you get half sleeves it's very easy to cover them with 3/4 or long sleeves. If I worked in a different industry I would probably be more lax about having something peek out.

What are you thinking of getting, BTW?

Yes, I think I would must start off by covering up... showeing my coworkers at first and goong from their reaction... I think I will cover it up most of the time because I know it can distract others from talking about work... :wink2:

I have always loved to have a paisley/henna type sleeve... with flowery shapes and detailing...

I recently found this artist... can't actually go to her but her type of work is exactly the style I am looking for!

http://www.michelewortman.com/Tattoos/General_Tattoos/

This is the person Local that I may go in for a consultation

http://maikatattooart.com/

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, those are gorgeous! Very feminine.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have worked in three major hospital systems. One could not have visible tattoos. The last two (which includes my current) can have visible tattoos but they cannot be offensive. I work with people with visual tattoos and don't think it is an issue. I also work in Mental Health so boundaries can be an issue with patients (as in the things they say). Piercings also seem to be not an issue where I work.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've heard societal views on tattoos are very different in most of the US. I'm in Los Angeles, where no one really bats an eye when they see tattoos. I would never get one in a visible place, though, just in case I move to more conservative areas.

My old coworkers at the hospital I worked at would wear long sleeved gym-clothing type shirts underneath their scrubs. Is that an option?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely type of tattoos you are going for! I have many tattoos and have started down the road of ones with no black. I want them to look more like a painting. I do have a full lower leg tattoo that I bare with capri pants at work in the summer but my job is for the state transportation dept. so a bit more lax. It was unsettling to the management when they first saw it but they got over it. And lets face it, they knew my first career was as a prison guard so tattoos should not have been a surprise to them! :lol:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I think that your concerns are valid. Tattoos can affect the way you are perceived by those around you (particularly in a professional setting). I guess you have to weigh out your desires, with your long-term plans/goals, and your lifestyle. If it's something that you truly want, and you're willing to deal with the potential disadvantage, then go for it. Good luck on your choice:)

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1393710901|3625428 said:
The workplace is a funny place.
In return for that paycheck we sometimes have to give up stuff you'd think you should have a right to.
The devil is in the details.

I'd check with HR, and I'd also discuss it with your coworkers, boss and clients.
Also is it a conservative or liberal area?
Do other workers have visible tattoos?

Even if you have the right, you still may opt to do what keeps those around you more comfortable … even if they "should not" care about tattoos.

Others are not how we think they should be.
They are how they are.

Shoulds only exist in our minds, and in life we have to pick out battles.

I agree w/ Kenny regarding some of the things that we give up the "right" to when we sign up for a paycheck. DH is a hospital administrator and I just asked him about their policy. While it's okay to have tattoos, they have to be completely covered, so people who need to wear long sleeves and turtle necks when working.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results