shape
carat
color
clarity

Show me three stone settings with larger side diamonds

helent

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am having a three stone ring made with a 2ct centre diamond and sides of 1.25ct and 1.27ct.

I think for security I would like 6 prongs for each stone - what does everyone think of this ring with the side stones being set the same as the centre stone?

I am having trouble picturing the finished ring - does anyone have something similar they can show me?

Can anyone point my to a link with rings of similar size?

untitled_3_.png

untitled_4.png

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
How exciting. I found a couple of 3-stone mounts from Lang Antiques which will give you some idea of look. Having 6 prongs on all stones will give a rounder look to the ring .

The first ring has a 1.9center with 1.05 each sides

The second ring has 2.3 center with 1+ each sides

The third ring has a 4.0 center with 2 ct each sides. (the ratio is close to your stones visually)

img_20140301_180922.jpg

img_20140301_181644.jpg

img_20140301_181951.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Same rings, side view. The 3rd ring was the inspiration for my new 3-stone to which I added a bezel on the center stone.

img_20140301_180933.jpg

img_20140301_181657.jpg

img_20140301_182005.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your ring finger? Because that is going to be wider than the tops of many fingers. That should be about 22mm between the three stones.

helent

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker2006 - I think my ring size is the equivalent of 7 and a quarter in US sizing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might work, then. Phoenix made a 3 stone ring one time with larger stones and it didn't work on her little fingers. In this thread she discusses that she made a mistake and did end up taking apart that ring. But on that thread, Farley's mom shows a width of 20 mm for three stones on a size 6 finger. Size 7 isn't going to be much different, but this gives you an idea. The only thing is, her center is larger in comparison to her sides than yours will be. Your sides will be closer to the size of the center stone than hers are. It helps when the sides can be tucked a little under the center stone.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-ring-time-to-downgrade.162538/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-stone-ring-time-to-downgrade.162538/[/URL]

helent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link diamondseeker - I shall have a look but now I feel like I have fat fingers!!

helent

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your input again Farleysmom - the third ring is the one that appeals to me the most so that is good news that it is similar to the look my stones will give.

I did read another of your posts (I think) where you thought the stones could all blur together given their similarity in size - do you (or anyone else) think that will be the case given the stones I am using or if I angle the side stones and have them tucked under the centre stone it should look okay?

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
helent|1393735126|3625662 said:
Thank you for your input again Farleysmom - the third ring is the one that appeals to me the most so that is good news that it is similar to the look my stones will give.

I did read another of your posts (I think) where you thought the stones could all blur together given their similarity in size - do you (or anyone else) think that will be the case given the stones I am using or if I angle the side stones and have them tucked under the centre stone it should look okay?

Hi helent -. Your ring is definitely going to be big and blingy. Personally, I think it will look fabulous. If you search through Phoenix's posts, you will see a photo of her 3-stone ring and mount by Leon Mege. (the post is where she shows her ring and pendant). As you have a size 7 finger, you will have enough room across your finger, where she did not on a size 4. With the center at 2.0 ct and the sides at 1.25 ct each, that translates in mm to approximately (7mm x 8.2mm x 7mm). 22.2 mm total. With the angle on the third photo and the diamonds slightly tucked under, you'll minimize the width by approximately 2mm so you can expect the ring to be about 20.2 mm across. With only 1 mm difference in circumference between the center and side stones, the ring will have a more "wall of bling" look rather then one showcasing your center stone. (nothing wrong with that, just about personal preference). If you can, cut out some circles and tape to your fingers (or tape the stones across the top of your finger) so you get an idea of how it will look. It will be important to be specific on how high you want the mounting to ensure comfort if there is any overhang on the sides of your fingers. (hope that makes sense). If I can find the photos for you I'll attach them to this thread. Attached are photos of Phoenix's ring. Her center was 2.36 and sides approx 1.5 so will be about the same look. Hope this helps.

img_20140302_070828.jpg

img_20140302_070748.jpg

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
helent|1393735126|3625662 said:

Having an angle to the side stones will help and it'll definitely be a large ring. I personally like the look of 3 ovals when going w/ diamonds of this size, and having all 3 so similarly sized. With rounds, I prefer when the side stones are noticeably smaller than the center stone, but that's just me.

Can you visit your local jeweler's to see if they have something you could try on to get an idea?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanna chime in and say I realy love both looks - same and varying side-stone - comfort would be only concern.

helent

Rough_Rock
Well I picked my ring up on Saturday but really don't know how I feel about it. My first impression was shock at how wide it was and that I could never wear it as it was just too big. I have twin 17 year old daughters and one loves it and the other thinks it looks like a rappers ring! I have been going backwards and forwards that, yes, it is too big and I will need to change it to, no, I am sure I will experience diamond shrinkage and enjoy wearing it. Right now my thought is it looks gaudy and fake but that may be driven by the fact only one of my friends has larger diamonds - the rest have thirty to fifty pointers - so the difference looks a bit comical. I am very happy with the design of the ring and think the jeweller has done a good job - he thought it looked great but then he has made a three stone ring with a 4ct centre and 1.5 diamond side stones so he has made bigger! Anyway here are the photos.

ring_01.jpg

ring_01a.jpg

dia__ring.jpg

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous....Can we please see more pictures?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as you have some clearance between your fingers and it's comfortable, rock it helent :love: :love:

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
helent|1394402427|3630634 said:
Well I picked my ring up on Saturday but really don't know how I feel about it. My first impression was shock at how wide it was and that I could never wear it as it was just too big. I have twin 17 year old daughters and one loves it and the other thinks it looks like a rappers ring! I have been going backwards and forwards that, yes, it is too big and I will need to change it to, no, I am sure I will experience diamond shrinkage and enjoy wearing it. Right now my thought is it looks gaudy and fake but that may be driven by the fact only one of my friends has larger diamonds - the rest have thirty to fifty pointers - so the difference looks a bit comical. I am very happy with the design of the ring and think the jeweller has done a good job - he thought it looked great but then he has made a three stone ring with a 4ct centre and 1.5 diamond side stones so he has made bigger! Anyway here are the photos.

What a pretty ring, your jeweler did a wonderful job. I think people's opinions are going to be like your daughters', so you'll have to decide whether it works for you or not. If you like it and it's comfortable enough to wear on a regular basis (especially if you're right handed), then go for it!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful - but then, you have to be comfortable with it.

I say rock those rocks for a while, see how you feel about it and enjoy! It's a gorgeous ring. It'd be great to see more pictures too!

helent

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments and support - I am starting to feel a bit better about it but the test will be in what reaction I get from friends. In the meantime here are some photos and I am sorry they are not well positioned or very clear but I am using an iphone. The photos I have posted so far have been taken by the jeweller so you will see the difference! For those eagle eyes you will note I have smashed one of the diamonds on my band - I should have moved that to the back before taking the photos but the light was fading and by the time I noticed it was too late to take more photos. I will be wearing the ring on my right hand but the photos are of the ring on my left hand as I just couldn't take a clear photo with my left hand so made the swap.

image__2_0.jpg

image__3_0.jpg

image__5_.jpg

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi helent, I just wanted to say that I think your ring looks wonderful. I love the 6 prongs as they really showcase each stone and break up the "wall of bling" look. This ring is definitely statement piece and is big, bold and blingy. Take your time to get used to it and remember, it's about what you love and enjoy wearing, not necessarily about what everyone else thinks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is lovely! However. I would say that had it been set with the sides slightly lower so they tucked under the center stone ever so slightly and were angled a little, the finger span would have been just a little less. That span will be more than the 22mm because the diamonds are side-by-side and do not touch (which wouldn't be good, either). I honestly think you'd like it better set the other way, or either with slightly smaller side stones. The very first picture is how trellis rings are usually set, and you can see how the side stones curve a little as the ring does in most of the other pictures. This helps it not look so wide.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
No matter what your friends say, it takes time to get used to anything new, so I agree that you should give yourself some time with the ring.

That said, while you might be able to get used to the length of the ring (measured from pinky to middle finger), I think the height of the profile off of your finger might be more difficult. The 6 prong settings give some sense of security for the stones, but they still look a little "exposed" to me (I'm using quotations because I can't seem to think of the right word).

Do you feel like they'll be bumped and knocked relatively easily given their placement, or are the photos just making them seem a little "precarious" (again, probably NOT the right description but I can't seem to find the perfect word :sick: )?

helent

Rough_Rock
Thank you Farleysmom - I hoped you would like it!

Thank you for your advice diamondseeker and I will definitely be back here to check on your comments if I do decide to change it. The ring is made in platinum so given the expense I will have to give myself time to see if I am 100% happy before thinking about doing anything.

Given my history with diamonds your comment has worried me Roxy - apart from the ring I have smashed in the diamond band I have also chipped 6 other diamonds! The ring is high set but no higher than when I just had the 2ct as a solitaire. Right now I am being very careful but I don't feel the side diamonds are unprotected - I expect given the length of the ring I am more likely to knock it but fingers crossed I don't.

helent

Rough_Rock
For a bit of fun I thought I would post a photo of my engagement ring from 24 years ago alongside my new ring. My engagement ring is very dirty as it hasn't been cleaned for months and is the ring I wear everyday. The diamonds are thirty pointers and the centre stone is a green sapphire. Is there a thread on first rings and current rings anywhere?

image__4_1.jpg

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaaawww, that comparison pic is so sweet!! I don't know if there's a thread for first rings vs current rings or not, but you should start one because I think it'd be fun.

I didn't mean to worry you with my post, I was just feeling nervous about the side stones. But as long as you're being careful, and are aware of your surroundings and your movements, you should be okay.

I know you planned to wear the ring on your right hand, but since you're right handed (I think?), if you could wear it on your left hand, that would cut down on some of the risk. Also, you should try to clean it at least once a week, so that will give you a chance to take a close look at the prongs, etc and see if you notice any shifting, pulling, etc.

I have to say, the top-down view on your hand is beautiful. I can't imagine how many sparks those stones throw off in real life!!!! :love:

helent

Rough_Rock
Thanks Roxy - my ring has its first "outing" tonight so I am looking forward to seeing the reactions I receive - if I get any!

My plan was to wear the ring on my left hand just while I was waiting for a tanzanite ring with diamond side stones to be made which would then become my left hand ring but you have got me thinking and I might have the tanzanite sized for my right hand also so I can swap them over. I am right handed so that sounds safer - thanks!

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
helent|1394747995|3633494 said:
Thanks Roxy - my ring has its first "outing" tonight so I am looking forward to seeing the reactions I receive - if I get any!

My plan was to wear the ring on my left hand just while I was waiting for a tanzanite ring with diamond side stones to be made which would then become my left hand ring but you have got me thinking and I might have the tanzanite sized for my right hand also so I can swap them over. I am right handed so that sounds safer - thanks!

You're very welcome!! I came back to visit your thread to read about the reaction that your ring got on its "first outing" (I love that term :)) ). There is NO WAY that this beauty went unnoticed so I'd love to hear about all of the "ooooohing and aaaahing" it created!

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Roxy|1395108245|3636187 said:
helent|1394747995|3633494 said:

You're very welcome!! I came back to visit your thread to read about the reaction that your ring got on its "first outing" (I love that term :)) ). There is NO WAY that this beauty went unnoticed so I'd love to hear about all of the "ooooohing and aaaahing" it created!

me, too! please share!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results