shape
carat
color
clarity

BRR--It's cold outside. How warm do you keep your house?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I like in Metro NY/NJ and we are getting HAMMERED with cold weather and snow {another big one coming our way tomorrow/Monday}.
I also had severe arthritis that gets worse in the cold/damp and just generally am cold if the temp is lower than 70.

I used to keep the house @ 72 degrees, but I've lowered the temp to 70 to see if I am comfortable {I'm not} so back up it went. So I'm curious--how warm is your home? Do you turn the temp down at night?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: BRR--It's cold outside. How warm do you keep your house

Hi,

This year we turned our heat up to 76 during the day and 70 at night. I am expecting a big bill, but i hate being cold and am willing to pay more for comfort. I actually start to shiver, and crawl under the covers. I am a bit on the sickly side.

Annette

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

60 at night or when we're gone to work/school, 68 when we're home.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

house is set at 60 at night and sometimes i go crazy during the day and knock it up to 64... Our small bedroom is fed by forced air and it gets BAKING at night with the door shut. Can't leave the door open- the dogs will run amok.

It's been a REALLLLLLLY cold winter here... even for Buffalo.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Right at 60 all the time unless the grandkids come over then I will turn up to 65.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally depends on how I am feeling. At the beach house when we are there in winter I keep it at 72-74 during the day and at night at 60. Plus I keep the gas fireplace on in the LR to heat up the area because even at 74 sometimes I am cold in that big house. We have a 2 zone heating/air conditioning system so at least that allows us to save that way. So during the day I will keep the upstairs (bedrooms and washing machine/dryer/exercise room upstairs) cooler at around 65 or so and at night it goes to 60-65 depending.

In our NYC co-op we have radiator heat and when it is this cold outside I have them all on in the LR, DR, kitchen (all one big area) and it is still a bit cool at times. I keep the heat off in the bedrooms/exercise room here because it is not necessary.

When it comes to comfort and well being health comes first so I compromise without suffering.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, some of you guys make me feel like a wimp lol! I just really hate feeling cold, and this winter has been brutal - we have 2 zones, usually keep the downstairs at 70 during the day, but this winter I've been cranking it to 73 sometimes. At night set it to 65. We keep the upstairs at 68.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17|1393694198|3625288 said:
Wow, some of you guys make me feel like a wimp lol! I just really hate feeling cold, and this winter has been brutal - we have 2 zones, usually keep the downstairs at 70 during the day, but this winter I've been cranking it to 73 sometimes. At night set it to 65. We keep the upstairs at 68.

LOL I know that's how I am feeling too reading this thread. But we all have different health issues and comfort ranges yanno? So don't feel badly Junebug. I'm right there with you needing the heat these days!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We're in Canada, and this has been one brutal winter!! I keep the temp at 71F, but lately I've set it to 73F on some days. Yikes. We have 2 Chihuahua portable heating units, and they help a lot. Hot flashes also help. :knockout: I've been taking more baths because my arthritis in my shoulders has really been bad lately. We have more snow and cold temps on the way this week. It's March! Enough already!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

It normally doesn't get very cold around here, so having the thermostat set at 68-69 is about perfect. I normally turn it down at night to 63. For some reason, I can't sleep if the heat is left on at night.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

62 at night and 68 when we are home...now with that said, I get cold so we run 2 kerosene heaters as well during the evenings, we live in a 100 year old drafty farmhouse, we have the original windows so its cold in here...heating it is expensive that is why we run the kerosene.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

I'm relieved to have company in being cold! I thought you all would be hearty types with heat down low. I've been cold all my life! Usually keep the heat at 70 downstairs, rarely need to turn on the upstairs heat. But this winter I've needed to have the downstairs at about 73 & the upstairs at 68. I turn off the heat at night, unless it's going to be in the 20s; then I leave both zones at 55 to be sure pipes don't freeze.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

At night we keep it around 65, during the day DH keeps it around 70. I use an electric blanket at night but DH wants no part of that.

That storm hits us tonight btw...yay.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

I am in Rhode Island, and it has been brutally cold here. Still waiting to see if the latest storm is going to affect us. We keep the temperature at 70 during the day and 67 at night. When my MIL stays with us, we have to turn it up to 74 during the day and 70 at night. She is always cold, even during the summer heat.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love on Long Island. Our apartment is pretty poorly insulated and we don't have thermostat control, not so fun. We have two little space heaters that make up the difference. It's a little over 70 in here during the day but we drop it to around 60 for sleeping, we do have an electric mattress pad which is great!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

We are in MI,& it has been quite the winter here as well. Since we are close to Lake Michigan, our weather is influenced by the lake with wind & Lake Effect snow.

The temps have been quite a bit colder this year also, Thursday night we reached a low of -12, which beat the daily record by 10 degrees. We are nationally ranked as the 2nd snowiest city thus far, our snowfall total this year is hovering at 103 ". Haven't seen the grass since maybe November? (I do find it hard to believe other cities more north of us haven't reached/surpassed our snow accumulation totals though.). We have another storm arriving this evening with 2-4 predicted.

Our house is well insulated, & we usually keep it at 62 at night, but not this winter. 68 at night, on the sub zero nights I have bumped it up to 69. During the day, a steady 68, on the sub zero days, it's up a degree or 2. It also depends on the wind, which has been quite active this winter as well.

Can't wait for it all to go away, it's been a bit too much this year!
sarahb

soocool

Ideal_Rock

67 during the day, 60 at night ( I also sleep with the ceiling fan on and under just a blanket). The house has stayed warmer ever since we replaced the roof and the siding and our electric and oil bills have gone down about 25% in general ever since.

charleston1

Shiny_Rock

72 degrees all the time. Oh yes, this has been the most brutal winter! Enough already! Snowbanks are so high it is difficult to back out of the driveway.

This year early on I bought a long down filled coat from Lands Ends thinking I would wear it maybe 10 days this winter. I have been wearing it virtually every day since it arrived in December. :angryfire:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We don't heat our house here in at the beach in So. California.

Today was one of the coldest days of the winter, it even rained with lightning and thunder, and I've been in shorts and flip flops all day.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Anywhere from 65-68. We're about to get hit with WINTER! STORM! TITAN! tomorrow, yay. I like having seasons, and I love precipitaion (ahem, Kenny ;)) :naughty: ) but I am getting antsy. It was 54 here today and tonight it will be 17 and then we'll get a lot of either ice or snow. Where is the vomiting emoticon?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

68* 24/7

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm currently in an apartment where the heat is either ON or OFF. I turn the heat off when I leave and back on when I come home, so I guess it's probably around 70ish in here most of the time when I'm home (day or night) but the CB likes to turn it up in the morning. UP as in One Degree Below The Current Temperature At the Equator. So right now we are sipping coffee in bed and the temperature is officially "tropical." Where's the sweating emotie when you need it?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

We keep the heat at about 72* in the winter. I'm always cold and my husband's always hot, so this was the best compromise we came up with. Actually, I'm guessing at the actual temperature. Our thermostats are an older kind, where our written choices on the dials are 50*, "comfort zone," or 90*. We keep the dials towards the beginning of the comfort zone. We have electric heat, so our heating bills have been a slight fortune this winter, unfortunately.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

We keep the main part of the house around 70, but the bedrooms around 67/68.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We don't heat or cool our London flat. We live in a 1980's build and it must be pretty well insulated because we haven't turned on the heat for the last 2 winters. It stays nice and cool in the summer too! Our flat is 71-73F at the moment depending on the room and gets up to over 80F on sunny winter days.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock

We got 4" of snow from Titan last night...right in the middle of our predicted 3-5"...SO glad we're missing the center of this storm!

The house is set at 69* during the day and 65* over night. DH works from home full time, so we're sadly unable to drop the temperature during the day because he's always home.

In the summer we leave it around 76-78*

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

18 deg C/64.4 deg F in the house, 17 deg C/62.6 deg F in the car, throughout the year.

DK :))

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

I'm feeling much better after reading this....I have been keeping the main areas around 70F while I'm home, but if I'm sitting at a computer I'm freezing so I turn on a gas fireplace. I've indulged in that a lot this winter and I was feeling pretty guilty.
(Also I think my spouse wants to burn my black Patagonia fleece because I'm like Mr.Rogers with his cardigans!)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

We got a bunch of snow between Friday evening and yesterday and it's back down to fuhreeeeezing temps again..we'd had a couple 50-55 degree days a couple weeks ago and man is it hard to go back to 30 below after that. It's 68 in here right now and I have two pairs of socks, slippers, yoga pants, tshirt, sweatshirt, long robe and a blanket. I am so sick of winter right now. The only good thing about it (besides that it's almost over) is lots of blankets to scrunch up under at night.

It's funny how farther into winter, when it's 40 outside and 68 inside, it doesn't feel so bad inside. But when it's 30 below and still the same 68 inside, I feel like I'm freezing to death inside.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We keep our house at 73. I doubt it is that warm in here though. Our basement is usually 10 degrees cooler than upstairs and my husband has to use an electric heater in his office downstairs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results