shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs Round...which looks bigger?

Nuzhuz

Rough_Rock
Hi guys long time reader - first time poster!
I have been back and forth on this soooo much - I can't decide between a cushion and a round!!!

First of all - my future fiance has identified over and over that M-R colored stones are her favorite - she doesn't like colorless and she doesn't like fancy - she likes warm light yellow stones.

There is a lot of value to be had in the M-R range.

I am getting a repro vintage setting that will take either round OR squared cushion.

I have found on Sol Bros (EGL) MODERN CUSHION 2.2 M VS1 (with faint fluor) for $5700 - WHICH IS CHEAP - I KNOW! But saleslady seems no BS and says this is a surprisingly gorgeous stone
Dimensions are 7.22 x 7.24 x4.97

My jeweler who is making the setting has a MODERN ROUND 1.61 M VVS1 for $5800 - he told me they did an in house grade by their GIA trained gemologist - and let me say that these guys have great reviews across the board - they are in diamond district but seem to be an anomaly. ALSO, let me say that this stone looks GREAT in the setting - I went a few days ago and it looked big and beautiful - but I feel like they really want to sell me a diamond....
Jeweler told me that dimensions for this stone were "7.8 x 7.8" ??????????????

For a 1.61 this is too big right? It has got to be more like 7.5 x 7.5 if it is 1.61....right?

So my question is this...which of these two stones is going to look BIGGER on her hand? A 1.61 Round or a 2.20 Cushion? That's what the question is down to for me now.

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You will get better advice in Rocky Talky. Diamonds in the M-R range is still considered "white" and cut plays a HUGE role in how sparkly it looks. A dud cut diamond will appear smaller than a well cut diamond even if their measurements are exactly the same. Secondly, EGL could be looser in grading, depending on whether it is EGL USA or EGL some other (Israel, for example).

Cushion cut - cannot buy by the numbers. You MUST look at the stone to see how well or poorly it is cut.
Round - A well cut 1.6 ct round should measure 7.5 mm thereabouts, meaning it is cut rather shallow and is likely to not be well cut, therefore, not sparkle as beautifully as it could.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, you should make sure that these stones display as being yellow-ish. Just because the stone has low color doesn't mean that color is yellow - it could be brownish or grayish.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results