shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite and Asha (manmade) diamond vs real diamonds

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
gktops|1393214103|3621620 said:
Anyone know of a good site to look at lower (or higher depending on how you look at it) colored stones? Like K-Z?

Wink of highperformancediamonds carries Crafted By Infinity. They do modern H&A cuts in warmer colors like K - M or N, at least. There aren't many modern H&A diamonds after L/M range, because most people think that the lower colors look better as antique cuts than as modern RBs. Good Old Gold carries it's proprietary August Vintage line, You can look at those for color, at least.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Since everyone else talked about Moissanite: The cut of individual stones, and the color as well, can vary from gorgeous to mediocre. That's one of the problems with buying it. You almost have to order several stones, scrutinize them, and plan on it possibly taking some effort to find a really good one if you are buying it sight unseen. The latest stones are whiter than the older ones.
Yes, the fire of most Moissanite is different from diamond. A dirty Moiss still has life. Its performance doesn't drop off like cz does the minute it gets some dirt on it. I think they wear well, much better than cz.

The comparison of Moiss faceting vs. H&A diamonds is valid, sort of. But you know, there are a LOT of actual diamonds out there that lack that H&A symmetry and their faceting is quite chaotic and random. Most Moiss won't have that H&A pattern at all.
Moiss is a fantastic sim stone that I think should have been pitched for dinner /cocktail / evening jewelry.

I like the stuff, but if given the choice between ACA diamonds and the sims, I'd prefer the diamonds for my e-ring. A diamond is a diamond, and a sim is a sim.

Ashleigh

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1393297245|3622406 said:
I tried to zoom in so you can see the free edges better. Well, cropped it so PS doesn't resize it. Sorry. It's every single corner on the diamond vs. the sim. In fact, it's so blurry on the Amora Gem that it shows through from underneath the table, too. That's why it looks like plastic.

Diamond, nice blunt and crisp lines:
screen_shot_2014-02-24_at_6.png

Amora Gem, blurry and mushy lines that look like plastic:
screen_shot_2014-02-24_at_6_0.png

You can see how the edges look like it's a thicker white outline? It's because it's not a blunt edge. It's showing the reflection of the thicker, rounded edge.

Madelise, thanks for the explanation. :)) Your post has been educational. I didn't see the white lines till you magnified the photos. You're really observant to see those in photos.

Staying on topic, OP, even if you can return the diamonds, can you return the setting? There's no point in going for a cheaper stone and end up being stuck with an unusable setting.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ashleigh|1393306788|3622506 said:
Madelise, thanks for the explanation. :)) Your post has been educational. I didn't see the white lines till you magnified the photos. You're really observant to see those in photos.

Thanks : ) It really didn't take much observation. I saw it IRL, and was extremely disappointed. Just glad someone posted huge zoomed in pictures to prove I'm not crazy :naughty:

MsBris

Rough_Rock
Long time lurker. Joined to reply to this OP.

When in grad school and we talked rings, I suggested a sim for several reasons. Budget being one of them. DH replied, "my love's not fake." I was reminded how people's sensibilities vary so greatly. We've laughed about e-ring shopping to this day. We found an anniversary band from the clearance section that could be stacked with others, worn as RHR, etc., and then I ended up wearing my w-band alone more often than not. I've since been gifted with other anniversary bands, so, I'm yet another of those who is not married to her one e-ring/w-ring while staying married to my one man.

All this to say, that a nice long conversation is in order. Much like has been suggested in the thread. Q&A about tradition, symbolism, and whether you give a fig about other people's opinions. If your gal sees herself as a one-ring gal, then definitely spend more time and money to get a one ring. But if she thinks she's more likely to want to change her look, as long as her ring finger looks married, then consider going with a stacker. And, that current 3stone ring could be her starting stacker.

Best wishes.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think moissanite is actually a beautiful gem in its own right, but I wouldn't try to pass it off as a diamond. I know a couple who didn't want to get a diamond for philosophical reasons (conflict, artificial price inflation, etc.), but the woman still wanted a sparkly white stone, so she got a moissanite. And tells people who think it's a diamond "actually, it's not..." What I find disingenuous about sims is when people try to pass them off as diamonds. If you appreciate them for what they are instead, they're lovely.

If your lady thinks she's prefer a moissanite, she needs to see them in person and make a side-by-side comparison with diamonds. Pictures can be doctored to make them look more similar. As others have said, there's also a great variation in cut quality, which affects sparkle and shine. The one I have, frankly, isn't cut to the best standards (that's why I was actually quite hopeful about getting an Amora gem to play with, until I read this thread). She may love or hate them, but she needs to SEE them in person first.

The 3-stone is really beautiful, and a 3-stone is a nice way to get bigger finger coverage on a budget. I think the price was really good for what you got (ACA center stone, nice workmanship, and the lifetime upgrade policy and excellent customer service through Whiteflash - they're my jeweler too). You've already involved her in the decision so far. I say bring her in all the say, show her the ring you've bought (I still didn't catch whether or not it can be returned for that matter). If she loves it and says she could wear it every day as her engagement (and/or wedding) ring, put it aside until you propose and find some creative way to do the actual proposal. The proposal can be a surprise without making the ring a surprise, and a lot of women prefer it that way.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
thanks very much for the pictures and information. Very educational !

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gktops|1392924277|3619444 said:
Can you tell me/show me why I shouldn't get a moissanite or an asha diamond in place of a real diamond? It looks like you can get a 1 carat manmade diamond that has a great cut, hearts and arrows, etc, for about $300 a carat. Thats at least 90% less than a real diamond? Tell me why!

I don't have time to read the whole thread. Do not be the cheap boyfriend who gets the fake ring. It will be embarrassing when your WIFE has to explain you tried to save a few bucks by getting fake diamonds.

ETA - I went back and read this thread. The three-stone is beautiful. If you decide to not use that ring, then I do think that a .70-.80 ct diamond solitaire is an excellent choice and NOT TOO SMALL IN THE REAL WORLD. It can also be upgraded later OR enjoyed for life!

Just because your GF says a moissanite is okay, doesn't mean she feels this way. She may just feel put on the spot. It would sort of irk me if my DH asked me which I would choose because there is the pressure to pick the lesser priced one.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is just my two cents worth, but instead of going back and forth over whether to purchase a moissanite or diamond solitaire, why not go a more unique route, and get her a wider natural diamond band? It will give great finger coverage, sparkle like mad, and be the ring she can use when you exchange vows. Later, when you're more financially established, like for an anniversary, you can get her the diamond solitaire. It will cost a lot less to have say a 1ct total weight band, than a 1ct solitaire.

I forget where, but my grandmother used to tell me that one of her friends received a plain band when they got engaged, and then got the diamond ring once they were married, as it was tradition in their culture. I always thought that was pretty neat. It showed the intention was serious, and the marriage was more important than the ring on the hand.

Just a thought. :wink2:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gktops|1393200588|3621468 said:
Does anyone else have this problem? The center stone of the 3-stone I have is an ACA 0.773 ct, but I feel like it would look soooooo small on a solitare band. Am I crazy?

I just bought a 0.70 ACA. My budget could have been - well I dunno - 'way over that, but I set a limit of .7-.75.
I love it. It's beautiful, it's great for stacking and it doesn't look that small to me - unless I spend too much time on PS :lol:
p1070802.jpg

gktops

Rough_Rock
FELLAS. I've decided to NOT go the moissanite route. I don't want her to have to explain that it is moissanite and what moissanite is and blah blah blah whenever anyone asks the is it real question. That is the main reason.

HOWEVER, I have been looking at the difference between my 3 stone ring from WF with 3 ACA diamonds, versus a 3 stone ring from B2C Jewels.... I could get a 3 stone ring with THREE 0.7 ct excellent cut GIA grade diamonds in it, for about $3500 total. If I stick with the WF 3-stone, I will have a 0.77 ct center, 2 0.32 ct sides, for $4600.

I want the diamonds to have some finger coverage so I really do rather spend $3500-$4500 for good finger coverage than $2500 for a 0.77 ct ACA solitare.

gktops

Rough_Rock
And, I know the opposite is supposed to happen, but the 3-stone is actually starting to look LARGER to me... :naughty:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redundant

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
gktops|1393525612|3624115 said:
FELLAS. I've decided to NOT go the moissanite route. I don't want her to have to explain that it is moissanite and what moissanite is and blah blah blah whenever anyone asks the is it real question. That is the main reason.

HOWEVER, I have been looking at the difference between my 3 stone ring from WF with 3 ACA diamonds, versus a 3 stone ring from B2C Jewels.... I could get a 3 stone ring with THREE 0.7 ct excellent cut GIA grade diamonds in it, for about $3500 total. If I stick with the WF 3-stone, I will have a 0.77 ct center, 2 0.32 ct sides, for $4600.

I want the diamonds to have some finger coverage so I really do rather spend $3500-$4500 for good finger coverage than $2500 for a 0.77 ct ACA solitare.

Right now you have the best of the best. ACA's are going to blow many GIA Excellents out of the water, you can only step down from what you have. I'd rather have that than larger, less well gut stones any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has your girlfriend actually seen the 3 stone ring yet? Shouldn't she be the one to decide whether it's big enough? You've already had discussions with her and are open to changing it so why not let her choose? She is the one who has to wear it :))

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think it's a bad idea to consider GIA xxx - you probably won't notice the difference in the cut and you can try to increase carat size for the same cost. I have a GIA xxx I'm very happy with.

You already have a pretty amazing ring, though. Are you sure you want to return?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Also, b2c is a drop-shipper. They don't send things to help you evaluated the stone like an idealscope (last I knew). Have you considered other vendors?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Did you return the WF ring already?

Normally, I'd say KEEP the ACA ring because the diamonds are better cut and will perform so much better in many lighting conditions than excellent stones, but you seem pretty much determined to spend less, so trade it in for your revised budget, but at least make sure you're not buying poorly cut stones.

And, it doesn't seem that well-cut diamonds are a priority to you as much as getting a good deal. Hopefully you don't regret your decision.

Keep in mind, aside from cz's being embarrassing...the next closest thing is having an icky diamond. Sorry, but true. :D

recordaras

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure that both of you would like the proportions of a three stone with identically sized .70 stones? I personally am not a fan of the look for an engagement ring and would actually prefer a solitaire if forced to choose between the two, and very much prefer the look of a larger center and smaller sides. It's obviously all a matter of taste, but still something to consider.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
recordaras|1393528541|3624147 said:
Are you sure that both of you would like the proportions of a three stone with identical sized 0.7 stones? I personally am not a fan of the look for an engagement ring and would actually prefer a solitaire if forced to choose between the two, and very much prefer the look of a larger center and smaller sides. It's obviously all a matter of taste, but still something to consider.

I do agree that three .70 stones wouldn't look as good as a larger center stone and two smaller stones...but, I have a feeling it's more about getting a good deal than it is about having a pretty ring... :-o

(That saying...if you want a pretty ring ENJOY the WF ACA ring and move on to the next adventure in your life.)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ACAs are expensive, true. You are paying for a branded cut. If you stick with a GIA excellent cut with safe crown and pavilion angles, you will be able to get a LOT more diamond for your money. I would venture to guess in a blind taste test, most people would NOT be able to spot the difference between an ACA and a top of the line beautifully cut GIA 3ex. If you didn't go ACA, you could probably go up to a 0.85 carat center.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock

You have just answered your own question! Pop the question and give your girlfriend the amazing ring that you have already chosen for her!!!!!

Lori

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just thought I would say it again...

Dreamer_D|1393207887|3621553 said:
I think you need to propose and move on with things ;)) When you see how much she freaks out loving her ring, then you will no longer be concerned!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you want a deal-deal, start looking at pre loved pieces.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others there is nothing wrong with the proportions of this ring, if it is about saving money get WF to replace the two sidestones with lower specked ones and keep the centre you already have that might save you a small amount.

braga123

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1393538614|3624245 said:
If you want a deal-deal, start looking at pre loved pieces.
Circe, a NUMBER of us have already told him this! But he doesn't address this advice!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would also caution against 3 stones of the same size. I think 5 small (0.25ct or so) same-sized stones look good across a band, but I don't like the look of 3 larger stones on a band, and I think most people agree that it's disproportionate. The larger center stone with smaller sides looks beautifully proportionate and offers excellent finger coverage.

Cut is what really makes a diamond sparkle. ACAs will have a top-of-the-line cut. When it comes to the certification, an AGS ideal grade virtually guarantees a beautifully cut diamond, as does the ACA branding (or other similar super-ideal branding...Infinity, Hearts on Fire, GOG Signature, BGD signature, etc.). GIA excellent, unfortunately, does not. GIA grades very accurately on color and clarity, but their cut grade standards are not on par with those of AGS. This is all to say that you have a guaranteed winner with the ACA ring that you already own, at a little bit of a premium, but that comes along with excellent customer service, peace of mind, and a good upgrade policy. B2C, like any vendor, will surely have some great diamonds, but they're a drop-shipper like Blue Nile. What that means is that you won't get to see any photos of the actual diamond you're buying - just a stock photo of a diamond of the same size. You won't get the reflector images like the ASET and Idealscope that tell you you're getting a great cut. Just a diamond (that you're buying sight unseen) and a certificate. If we were starting from the beginning, I'm sure people here could guide you to some great stones at B2C based on the numbers (still not a guarantee without pictures), but since you already have a great ring, why go through that?

I obviously think you should keep the beautiful ring you already have, warm up those cold feet, and propose! But if you do want to save a little money, you could see if WF will exchange their ACA center stone for an Expert Selection of the same size. We also haven't gone into what color and clarity you've chosen (I don't think you've stated that in this thread?) and whether you can compromise on them. There are ways to save money if you need to, but still basically keep your current ring the way it is. We would need details on your center stone before going any farther, and you'd need to contact WF about returning/exchanging stones (there might be some labor costs involved in unsetting and resetting it).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't like three stones the same size. You have the best. Keep it.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
I also vote for a pre-loved ring. Your dissatisfaction with your current ring would kind of put a damper on the whole engagement thing. I wouldn't feel that good, getting a ring my guy didn't think was wonderful. Your suppose to be happy about the process, not stressed that you spent too much. Let her help pick it out, this is way too hard for you to do on your own. Give her a budget and let her decide.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results