shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying colored stones in Afghanistan

KhunEd

Rough_Rock
I am currently deployed in Afghanistan and if anybody can give me any info on vendors along chicken street in Kabul. Is it safe ?
What is currently a good buy from this area as far as locally mined stones ?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mate, 3 words. DONT DO IT. My husband also asked the same thing whilst deployed but almost everyone here will tell you - unless you are a certified gemologist with lab equipment; most likely you will be sold junk at ridiculous prices. Suggest you save your cash for bling in Dubai on the way home. If you are really keen - maybe pick up some tourmalines but dont waste any serious money on it ok? :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono may have covered it in the threads she linked to, but you can also search for a particular member. There is a PS member with the user name of "SilverbackMP" I think. On this board and another well known forum that has the word Gemology in the title, he talks about his experiences and purchases in Afghanistan while stationed there. He has taught himself quite a bit, and would be particularly helpful to you in your quest. Good luck, but be very, very cautious please.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do it. MY DH bought me a few items there when he was deployed. They were all low quality, badly cut. I like them because they represent a time apart but I would have been really upset if he had bought them thinking they were nicer or investment quality gems. Avoid...

KhunEd

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the concerns, yes there is a lot of junk here. I have looked mostly at tourmalines, and spinels. Staying away from
the high dollar stuff.

KhunEd

Rough_Rock
Also wanted to add. Every shop dealer swears his stones are top quality, no treatments and 100 % natural. most i have
looked at have many inclusions, and poor cut, but out of 20 or 30 stones there is a 1 or 2 with good cut and color with just
a few inclusions to show natural stone. Thanks again to all the replys, and i will chk out the links too....... happy gem hunting !

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I'm a little late to the party here, but my post of yesterday refused to go through. I would look for lapis Lazuli, an opaque stone of a beautiful royal blue, either with gold flecks or without. I don't know offhand which is considered better. I would do a little research and then look for this stone. I think the best lapis is found in Afganistan.

Good Luck,

Thanks for serving.

Annette

KhunEd

Rough_Rock
Thank you Annette, you are right, some of the best lapis is from Afghanistan. What you need to look for is good
depth of color ( deep blue ) along with the speckles of pyrite in the stone. The less you see of white veins or
marbleing ( Calcite deposits ), the better the lapis quality.
I tend to buy the lapis in the rough, this takes away the chance that the lapis has been dyed to make better color
and hide the calcite, plus i can have it cut and shaped after i am back home. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
That makes me jealous! I love lapis. Sounds like you are buying smart.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results