shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions needed about Sholdt semi-bezel

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I am in the process of resetting my cushion and am seriously considering the sholdt semi bezel. I like it because it has clean lines and seems strong and sturdy. I swim, bike, and run with my ering on and only take it off to clean it daily. Do you think this setting will look good with my vintage cushion? I went out last weekend and looked at delicate vintage settings and thought I would destroy one of those. I also like the idea of a three stone with either traps or half moons but my husband thinks those look all meshed together
What would you do if you had my stone? Honest opinions please, I am a straight shooter.

_8811.jpeg

r4805-half-moon-ring-e-1.jpeg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that if I do the sholdt my cushion will be set east/west.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I have a love/hate feeling for bezels. (And before seeing your example I thought semi bezel would be a bad compromise.)
I sort of hate that bezels deprive the stone of some light, but I'm really drawn to the practical aspects....and I like that they're simple and sleek.
Anyway - I'm surprised by how much I like the semi-bezel! E/W looks wonderful and sort of band-like. I think if you want to wear this stone all the time, that's an excellent choice.
(I don't wear my rings as often as I'd like because of all the reasons you stated.)

I don't like the effect of the side stones on the center in the 3-stone example.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think this setting would suit a vintage cushion all that well personally. But you have to get what you LOVE! So if this setting makes your heart go pitter patter, then it's the right one for you.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I have the Sholdt semi bezel and think it looks best with modern rounds, or step cuts.

When I think of antique cushion cuts, I think of pave or very feminine solitaries. Like JBEG designs.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love semi-bezels, especially Sholdt ones. Just looked up your cushion. IMHO, it'll look amazing set east - west in a semi-bezel. I agree with your husband that the three stone design looks smooshed together. Might look better if the side stones are more defined like in this setting.

I just set my round in a semi-bezel setting by Adwar just because Sholdt wasn't in the budget. Love how easy it's to wear without worrying about damaging the stone or setting.

lussori_3stone_oval-2.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I am having a hard time with this decision. I like sparkle and bling and this setting limits that. I don't want to make a bad choice because my husband has made it clear this is it, he is stepping off the upgrade train. :confused:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1393358710|3622822 said:
I love semi-bezels, especially Sholdt ones. Just looked up your cushion. IMHO, it'll look amazing set east - west in a semi-bezel. I agree with your husband that the three stone design looks smooshed together. Might look better if the side stones are more defined like in this setting.

I just set my round in a semi-bezel setting by Adwar just because Sholdt wasn't in the budget. Love how easy it's to wear without worrying about damaging the stone or setting.
Your ring is what started me thinking a semi bezel might be the answer. I just want to do my diamond justice. Lol

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot advise you as I am totally biased as far as your current setting concerns: it really flatters the antique and classic look of your diamond. Your current ring is one of my PS favourites.

The Sholdt is a beautiful choice, but I indeed like it better with a modern stone. I had my antique stone in a very modern bezel setting and it was a huge and expensive mistake :(. I am like in in that I do the gardening etc with my 5ct OEC. The setting I now have (the Sophia by VC) is sturdy enough for everyday wear as long as you are a bit careful.

But you need to do what your heart tells you!!! Good luck in making your decision. :wavey:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think OECs look fantastic in simple settings that allow the stone to shine, including full bezels. Coati's simple gold bezel, which shows up in the first page of this thread, makes the case:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/old-cut-lovers-please-sign-in.113724/

And here's an AVC in a Scholdt setting:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sholdt-bypass-august-vintage-round-love.189920/

Audball's OEC in a Scholdt setting (pics page 7):
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/ladies-in-waiting/we-bought-a-diamond-t171629-180.html

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1393362182|3622855 said:
OP - while not exactly what you're contemplating, this is a Krikawa semi-bezel with an AVC cushion set east-west - seriously one of my favorite rings ever!

Krikawa%20Mokume%20AVC%2002.jpg

Krikawa%20Mokume%20AVC%2005.jpg

Here is Aeolianarpa's SMTB thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/avc-krikawa-mokume.163859/
This is gorgeous, I agree. I've seen some Sholdt bezels that have thick edges while some like the oval above are more dainty. I prefer the dainty.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I agree with most of the posters that your diamond may look better in a different type of setting. From my point of view, if it meant wearing the diamond/ring or not wearing it for fear of loosing it I would opt for the bezel setting. I have a 1 ctw round set in a full bezel for two reasons; the girdle had a chip and I wanted a 'pinky' ring and realized it would be hard on the diamond. It's actually a very nice ring and I get a lot of compliments on it. I think the Sholdt semi bezels are gorgeous and love the east west setting configuration. Just my two cents!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1393366430|3622897 said:
Laila619|1393365888|3622886 said:

That's gorgeous but I wouldn't swim or bike in it.

Why, too dainty?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laila619 said:

Why, too dainty?

It's to baby providing more protection than a semi-bezel ... colore curious, too!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1393367308|3622909 said:

Why, too dainty?
Right. Thin band can get damaged from gripping and twisting motions when biking. I would avoid swimming in any ring but thin one may slip off easier that wider one. Although there is a product called " ring cozy" to cushion delicate settings.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the ring as sugested by Laila!!! It complements your beautiful stone: a vintage look, but also with a clean and modern vibe. And it might protect the center stone even better since it's a full bezel!

_15310.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results