shape
carat
color
clarity

WANTED: Period jewelry boxes

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Hello all pricescopers. A friend of mine is a set decorator for this new HBO show that is set at the turn of the century (19th -20). They are big on authentic looking restagings. Today she is making a Jewelry store and is looking for boxes, the lovely period kind that individual pieces came in, and others. Any suggestions where to find them, likely reproductions as she will need a number of them and short notice??

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'd do a quick check with Jewels by Erica Grace. They acquire so many beautiful pieces, they may have some, or at least some good ideas.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Uppy, I've passed that along. Please keep the suggestions coming folks! Often they rent this kind of stuff, so wherever they come from will get them back.

eta: it would be especially good if they are in NYC

eta again, reproductions they would likely just buy, authentics they might rent. Dont have to be in NYC, but they would want to have them shipped over night in the next few days.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried ebay? You would have to purchase them, but many are pretty inexpensive. There is an entire category from the big jewelry boxes where you store all your jewelry to the individual ring boxes. Just took a quick peek and there are some beautiful vintage ones.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I actually collect old jewelry boxes!

Zak Jewelers on 47th has a pretty nice selection of old-style boxes if less detailed reproductions are acceptable: I tend to cruise eBay and Etsy once in a while for others. These days, nobody has any idea what the heck a pocket-watch display box would look like as opposed to a lorgnette case, or whatever, so it can take some time to weed through all the options. (Also, everything but everything is described as "Deco," or, worse, "Gatsby," which makes it even worse.) On another forum I saw somebody asking about where to get the real kind of fitted parure cases that you would have found back in the day: the only suggestion I saw was for a guy in India, which makes a certain sense. Will see if I can track down the old post ....

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It is funny you mention Zak, Circe, that was the first place I thought of too.
Ebay seems never to be an option for these film people. They work on extremely tight time frames, generally need to get the stuff in a day or two and they need to know what they are getting before they commit.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
You can try Ageless heirlooms here in Buffalo, she may have some. Or Asti Antique jewelry (Buffalo as well)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VapidLapid|1389900645|3594150 said:
It is funny you mention Zak, Circe, that was the first place I thought of too.
Ebay seems never to be an option for these film people. They work on extremely tight time frames, generally need to get the stuff in a day or two and they need to know what they are getting before they commit.

Hm ... how do they feel about renting? The Manhattan Vintage Show is this weekend, and some of their dealers have aaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaazing boxes for display. They wouldn't sell them when I asked (though perhaps they might feel differently if confronted with the deep pockets of a network), but if it's just for a day or two, I bet they'd at least be open to considering the notion ....

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1389891821|3594073 said:
Hello all pricescopers. A friend of mine is a set decorator for this new HBO show that is set at the turn of the century (19th -20). They are big on authentic looking restagings. Today she is making a Jewelry store and is looking for boxes, the lovely period kind that individual pieces came in, and others. Any suggestions where to find them, likely reproductions as she will need a number of them and short notice??

The individual ones I have are all cardboard, VL. I am looking at a box right now that a vintage pin was in, but it was obviously not the same box the pin originally came in. The box is in relatively good shape for cardboard, but it's cardboard! It's a burgundy colored box with gold letters that says, "JAEGER". I know it isn't the box the poodle pin came in because the bottom of the box says, "Travelling Clock 2 Days" "JAEGER"
"Mod4 METAL COPPERED" and then "300F" (300 francs, I assume) is written in pencil on the bottom. Maybe my father did get the pin that box while in Paris in 1945 at some flea market. I have no idea.

My Georg Jensen cardboard boxes from the 1940's are positively falling apart.

AGBF

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I recently saw a few on Etsy

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your suggestions

The show is called The Knick, I can't remember if it is hbo or sho or something else. mini=$eries. They finished weeks ago. Funny thing, Clive Owen (who stars in it) has been living just down the block from me during shooting. Ive been seeing him every day at the coffee shop. He is quite a cold fish and looks much better on screen. In deed, when I first saw him walking up to the shop I thought to myself, who is THIS sleazy creep!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results