shape
carat
color
clarity

The many ways make-up changes us...

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read this and thought it quite a facinating article http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-beauty/the-many-ways-makeup-changes-us-20140130-31o4q.html :read:

Sadly I'm just as much a sucker for this stuff as everyone else. :oops: I wear it daily not only to look "polished/professional" in my corporate job but also as I have some skin pigmentation I dislike which means I don't have an even skin tone. Although it's minimal - I am very self conscious about it and prefer to wear tinted sunscreen every day which at least has the benefit of preventing further damage!

I'm not a "full face" kind a girl but ALWAYS wear foundation, eyeliner, mascara & lipgloss. Eyeshadow & lipstick to me is more for getting "dressed up" :lol: I'd love to be an naked-face person and perhaps if I had perfectly even, blemish free skin then I absolutely would do it.

What do you think? Do you wear makeup every day? How does it make you feel?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I wear tinted lip gloss at work because 1) my lips are very dry, 2) it's very easy to apply, 3) they are my best facial feature, and 4) my lips do not have much contrast with my face.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My skin is not good. I don't wear makeup around the house or just for bebopping around town, but to work I do, and the (rare) occasions we go someplace other than the store. I'm very pale, but also red and blotchy, plus acne for 30 years now, and the scars that go along w/it. it's not a miracle worker, and I don't cake it on, just enough to make it more even, but it's enough that I don't feel quite so unattractive when I walk out the door.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't wear makeup for chilling at the house, but I do like to wear it if I'm going to be out and about (other than running to Wal-Mart or the post office). :bigsmile:

I feel much more confident with makeup on. I have "non-eyes" without it! ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I always wear make-up. I'm not a foundation girl, but I wear powder, blush, eye make-up, and lip gloss. I get that women should be happy in their own skin, but I enjoy make-up and the way it makes me look. I'm happy in my skin with make-up ;-)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While I do not wear make-up if not leaving the house--I do wear jewellery. Make up for the body.

When out and about I am fully made up--in fact I have been eagerly waiting the Spring collections to toss out all the old, and bring in the new. Maestro foundation by Armani is the most perfect "base" I have ever used. So natural.

Estee Lauder, Chanel, Dior, Lancôme--bring it on!

cheers--Sharon

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear make-up when I'm at work and sometimes when I'm going out. The first thing I do when I get home is wash my face. I hate the way it feels. I'm not scary or anything without it but I do feel much more outgoing and confident when I'm wearing it.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not wear makeup except for lip color - I do wear glasses which I think define my eyes without the use of eye makeup - and I have nice, even skin which looks and feels its best with sunscreen/moisturizer.

if I have lip color on and am wearing my jewelry for the day, I am ready to face the world.

Without lip color, I feel drab. Without jewelry, I feel unprepared for my day.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't wear makeup at all. The one and only time I did wear some was for my wedding 5.5 years ago, and it was only a little. I just don't like the feel of it. I played around with it when I was younger but I never got in the habit of applying it.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do, but I struggle with the justification to my almost 5 year old daughter. I don't wear much - a sweep of BB cream down my nose, across my forehead & chin, under eye concealer for dark rings, eyeliner, mascara & tinted lip gloss. It takes no longer than 5 minutes maximum, but unless I am gardening on the weekend or know I am not really venturing out far & I will leave my face bare, I do this quick application every morning.

When my daughter asks, which is getting more frequently as she gets older, I have said "because it makes mummy feel prettier & happier about the way I look". Mistake??!? She is going to think you have to wear makeup to feel pretty & happy if I don't change my standard reply :(sad

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty confident not wearing makeup (I don't wear it on weekends, nor to the gym), but I start appying makeup when I get to work. however I agree with the article, my best acessory is not the makeup I wear, it is my smile :D

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1392658067|3617027 said:
HI:

While I do not wear make-up if not leaving the house--I do wear jewellery. Make up for the body.

When out and about I am fully made up--in fact I have been eagerly waiting the Spring collections to toss out all the old, and bring in the new. Maestro foundation by Armani is the most perfect "base" I have ever used. So natural.

cheers--Sharon

Ah! A girl after my own heart! Aside from foundation, which I have always been willing to pay more for (over the years, Estee, Prescriptives, Lancome). It has just been in the last few years or so, that I've had the scratch to do luxury brands, and boy howdee, they (for the most part) live up to the hype, with sophisticated and subtle colors and great formulations. Mmm! Love me the makeup! :)

(except I don't throw stuff out too often. I did just do a purge recently though - to make room for some freshened up stuff)

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I love make up and applying it. My eyes are a strange color--neither blue nor green nor hazel so I have fun experimenting with various color eye shadows. My eyelashes have thinned over the years and I need mascara. At the risk of sounding like a braggart I have really good skin and don't need foundation--so unless it's the evening I just put some blush on. Lipstick/gloss?--last time I counted I had 36 different colors {all in the rose shade].

For me make up is something fun to do. I find Chanel make up {especially the eye shadows} go on evenly and more importantly, LAST thru the day or night. I wish I had a daughter to share my passion but I have to settle for my nieces.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ksinger|1392675156|3617246 said:
canuk-gal|1392658067|3617027 said:
HI:

cheers--Sharon

Ah! A girl after my own heart! Aside from foundation, which I have always been willing to pay more for (over the years, Estee, Prescriptives, Lancome). It has just been in the last few years or so, that I've had the scratch to do luxury brands, and boy howdee, they (for the most part) live up to the hype, with sophisticated and subtle colors and great formulations. Mmm! Love me the makeup! :)

(except I don't throw stuff out too often. I did just do a purge recently though - to make room for some freshened up stuff)

:wavey:

I "thought about you" the other day because my closet doors need replacing! But enough about house reno's...I'll stick to the subject of replacing the stuff in my make-up bag.

I am a GWP (gift with purchase) hound, which is certainly an impetus to toss that last bit-o-powder out.... :bigsmile: :saint: --I already have the dates for EL's GWP Campaigns at the local stores (yes all FOUR)! :rolleyes:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1392675723|3617253 said:
I love make up and applying it. My eyes are a strange color--neither blue nor green nor hazel so I have fun experimenting with various color eye shadows. My eyelashes have thinned over the years and I need mascara. At the risk of sounding like a braggart I have really good skin and don't need foundation--so unless it's the evening I just put some blush on. Lipstick/gloss?--last time I counted I had 36 different colors {all in the rose shade].

For me make up is something fun to do. I find Chanel make up {especially the eye shadows} go on evenly and more importantly, LAST thru the day or night. I wish I had a daughter to share my passion but I have to settle for my nieces.

I love to use eye shadow as eye liner. Do you? I am handy with my MAC angled eye brush. Brushes are also a good investment! Chanel has delish lipsticks and glosses. :appl:

cheers--Sharon

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I only wear it on special occasions, never at home or at work. I like it, but I have been careful about not becoming dependent on it. Yeah, my face isn't perfect, but if my husband can go around bare faced then surely I have enough confidence to do the same.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1392679820|3617310 said:
I only wear it on special occasions, never at home or at work. I like it, but I have been careful about not becoming dependent on it. Yeah, my face isn't perfect, but if my husband can go around bare faced then surely I have enough confidence to do the same.

I get what you're saying, but this isn't really an apples to apples comparison. In general, men don't wear make-up, so to say that since men don't wear make-up, then you should be ok with it too is simply not the same thing. That would be like me saying that I should be ok with not shaving my legs because my husband doesn't shave his…. :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I wear makeup very rarely. I like what I look like with it, and without it - and I put it on so lightly, it doesn't make a dramatic difference. DH always says I look the same, but 'polished.'

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I find myself not really liking girls who can't be seen without a full face of makeup. Not older ladies who use it expertly, but pretty young things that really DON'T need it and absolutely layer it on anyway. My personal experience is that they are very shallow - looks are their prime topic of conversation, and they get very catty about others based on looks alone. Experience tells me that I won't be able to have fulfilling interactions with them. I avoid anyone who emphasises looks over other traits.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1392682719|3617368 said:

I get what you're saying, but this isn't really an apples to apples comparison. In general, men don't wear make-up, so to say that since men don't wear make-up, then you should be ok with it too is simply not the same thing. That would be like me saying that I should be ok with not shaving my legs because my husband doesn't shave his…. :lol:

There are people who do agree with this line of thinking and in fact do not shave their legs. Personally I think each person should do what they want to do and what makes them feel good. If that's not shaving their legs or not wearing makeup or both kudos to them. I wouldn't judge them because I don't want to be judge and it's none of my business.

As for makeup I don't wear it in the house, I rarely wear it running errands and I wear it for work and socially. Clear lip gloss, cover creme for any blemishes/pink on my face and liner, shadow and mascara.

And I like shaving my legs and underarms but hate the irritation I get during the dry winter no matter how much I moisturize.

justginger|1392683456|3617375 said:
I wear makeup very rarely. I like what I look like with it, and without it - and I put it on so lightly, it doesn't make a dramatic difference. DH always says I look the same, but 'polished.'

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I find myself not really liking girls who can't be seen without a full face of makeup. Not older ladies who use it expertly, but pretty young things that really DON'T need it and absolutely layer it on anyway. My personal experience is that they are very shallow - looks are their prime topic of conversation, and they get very catty about others based on looks alone. Experience tells me that I won't be able to have fulfilling interactions with them. I avoid anyone who emphasises looks over other traits.

Huge ditto to JG's post.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

There are women I know who don't shave, and that's exactly what they say, so it's an on-point comparison. They may not be mainstream, and it may not be for me, but I think every woman has the right to buck whatever social trend they wish to, without being bullied or shamed by other women.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I never wore makeup before I had skin cancer. Now I feel weird going out without it. I don't always do the whole painted part, but I rarely skip the heavy foundation.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Isn't this thread about how make up changes you? If you don't wear make up, are not influenced and not changed--then why post? If this post is offensive--and YOU AVOID objectionable/people who wear make-up, IRL, wouldn't you do the same on a forum?

This isn't the first time, but today--at the VERY LEAST--your words are offensive and derogative. Because of I this, won't revisit PS again.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1392686025|3617432 said:

Isn't this thread about how make up changes you? If you don't wear make up, are not influenced and not changed--then why post? If this post is offensive--and YOU AVOID objectionable/people who wear make-up, IRL, wouldn't you do the same on a forum?

This isn't the first time, but today--at the VERY LEAST--your words are offensive and derogative. Because of I this, won't revisit PS again.

I am very sorry you found my post offensive to the point you will not return. I did not intend to be vitriolic, nor to hurt feelings. I was expressing what my experience with a small subset of the population of the youth is like, with their celebrity worship and fixation on societal requirements of beauty. I don't think it is offensive to avoid individuals like that. :confused:

And I did state that I wear makeup, perhaps once/fortnight, and implied that I don't think it changes me much.

Again, I am sorry I deeply offended you, but I am genuinely confused as to why. I hope you will not leave, I know you have wonderful friends here.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
justginger|1392683718|3617382 said:

There are women I know who don't shave, and that's exactly what they say, so it's an on-point comparison. They may not be mainstream, and it may not be for me, but I think every woman has the right to buck whatever social trend they wish to, without being bullied or shamed by other women.

I didn't say that every woman shaves. I was talking about societal norms (one of which is that it is appropriate for women to wear make-up . Another of which is that it is appropriate for women to shave their legs). That doesn't mean that women who choose not to do either/or of those things are somehow wrong. It's a personal preference, but society still dictates what might the considered normal and what might not be. I still do not believe that it is an apples to apples comparison. An apples to apples comparison would be something that (in general - which again does not mean all) both men and women do - like comb/brush/fix their hair for example.

And as far as bullying women - the same could be said for the whole you-should-be-comfortable-in-your-own-skin mentality. Isn't that the same thing? Telling/bullying women that they should be happy with themselves without make-up, without shaving, without grooming, etc.? Who is anyone to say how/why a woman should be happy? If a woman is happy/confident wearing make-up, then it should be equally as okay for a woman to feel happy/confident without wearing make-up. Neither choice is wrong and neither woman should be made to feel that she should or shouldn't be happy one way or the other.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some great responses - glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It makes "me feel better about me".

Of course my darling husband is completely blind or diplomatic (or both :lol: ) and says he doesn't think its a big deal. Perfect example he'll say "But you look perfect now and you're not even wearing any!" Ummm yes yes I am. This is what good natural makeup looks like! :bigsmile:

Just for the record I dont think I'm completely shallow or vain - makeup for me is more about protecting my skin (sunscreen, mineral foundation) and looking nice for my husband (so shoot me!) and just having fun with it. :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1392687154|3617463 said:

I didn't say that every woman shaves. I was talking about societal norms (one of which is that it is appropriate for women to wear make-up . Another of which is that it is appropriate for women to shave their legs). That doesn't mean that women who choose not to do either/or of those things are somehow wrong. It's a personal preference, but society still dictates what might the considered normal and what might not be. I still do not believe that it is an apples to apples comparison. An apples to apples comparison would be something that (in general - which again does not mean all) both men and women do - like comb/brush/fix their hair for example.

And as far as bullying women - the same could be said for the whole you-should-be-comfortable-in-your-own-skin mentality. Isn't that the same thing? Telling/bullying women that they should be happy with themselves without make-up, without shaving, without grooming, etc.? Who is anyone to say how/why a woman should be happy? If a woman is happy/confident wearing make-up, then it should be equally as okay for a woman to feel happy/confident without wearing make-up. Neither choice is wrong and neither woman should be made to feel that she should or shouldn't be happy one way or the other.

I agree! And I'm all for thought-provoking discussion, but sometimes these articles out there are nothing more than click bait. If one reads the article, one will notice even the author says this makeup thing has gone on for thousands of years. I'm sure we've been having the same old debate for thousands of years, then, too.

*Edited to say that I only bolded Momhappy's last line!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1392687154|3617463 said:

You are exactly right, it's really a 'people vary,' situation, a fine line between trying to go against a billion dollar industry by encouraging women to see their own beauty, and shaming them out of using products that legitimately bring them happiness. I just cringe when I hear girls in the prime of beautiful, clear-skinned youth lamenting that they can't possibly go to dinner straight after work, they MUST go home to their full makeup stash, hot rollers, curler, flatiron, whatever...because otherwise, "I'll look hideous." A 25 year old coworker said those exact words to me YESTERDAY. :nono: Those ladies are not happier of their own accord wearing makeup, they're worried about what other people will say and think about them if they don't apply, and reapply, and reapply.

We have a friend who actually married someone, and he never once saw her barefaced. She reapplied before bed, woke up before him, locked herself in the bathroom to shower and reapply, and then she worked all day as a makeup girl, reapplying all day long. I hate being part of a society capable of doing that to a beautiful lady. :blackeye:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oddly enough as I've gotten older I've stopped wearing makeup completely. When I was younger and working in the beauty industry it was expected to have a full face of makeup and to reapply throughout the day as needed. Today wearing anything more than a layer of moisturizer with sunscreen makes me feel self-conscience and 'made up'. When I reflect upon it though I can't say that I felt/feel more comfortable one way or the other. I certainly enjoy not having to feel as though I need to take the extra time to apply make up to feel 'finished' but I also remember really enjoying the process of purchasing and applying makeup and trying new colors and techniques. It's funny though that I used to think makeup made me look and feel younger but now that I'm older and have stopped I would argue the same thing. I suppose it's a very personal decision and one that can change over time.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'll read the article after I check out the pre-loved forum....lol. I meant to go there first but clicked on this forum by mistake and then couldn't help but reply. :D

I love, Love, LOVE make-up. I love to experiment with with different colors of eye shadows, cat eye and all that fun stuff. False eyelashes on special occasions. Highlight, contour you name it and I'll try it. I love the polished look makeup gives you when applied correctly and when the makeup fits the occasion. I work from home and apply make up every day. I also dress for work every day...it makes me happy. Can I be happy without make up? Sure....it's just not as fun! Lol! :)

To each her own, if it makes you happy (not shaving, throwing away your hair straightener and going with natural curly hair, no make up, whatever) I say go for it. :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MyDiamondSparkles|1392689405|3617512 said:
I'll read the article after I check out the pre-loved forum....lol. I meant to go there first but clicked on this forum by mistake and then couldn't help but reply. :D

I love, Love, LOVE make-up. I love to experiment with with different colors of eye shadows, cat eye and all that fun stuff. False eyelashes on special occasions. Highlight, contour you name it and I'll try it. I love the polished look makeup gives you when applied correctly and when the makeup fits the occasion. I work from home and apply make up every day. I also dress for work every day...it makes me happy. Can I be happy without make up? Sure....it's just not as fun! Lol! :)

To each her own, if it makes you happy (not shaving, throwing away your hair straightener and going with natural curly hair, no make up, whatever) I say go for it. :D

Some of us even prefer our curly hair natural vs blowing it straight. Imagine that lol. I used to torture my hair straight only to finally realize it looks better natural. Goodbye torture devices!

And just to comment if I may on Ginger's post. I know how she meant it and I think it might have been misinterpreted by some. It's the inside that matters-who you are and not what you look like. And unfortunately sometimes society teaches young impressionable girls/boys the wrong traits to value. Nothing is wrong with makeup of course. Just not valuing it over the person who is wearing it if that makes sense.

And Sharon, please, I puffy heart you...don't go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results