shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
mlk, happy birthday to Lucas! He looks so cute and happy on his big day. Wow, 70 guests!! Hats off to you guys--that's more people than were at our wedding :wink2:

Dandi, happy birthday to O too! How did everything go?

Looking forward to seeing you ladies in the other thread! I hope the newer mamas keep this thread up--it seems quiet here as of late.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh mlk, 70 people?!?! We had about 55, I thought that was enough! You are wonder woman!!! Lucas is such a beautiful boy.

Hi jfo, it went fantastic thank you! It was perfect weather, so it was great incentive for us to FINALLY get our pergola and decking finished and clean up the back yard... we've been building it for three years and finished it the night before the party :rolleyes: Yep Oscar is one tomorrow, so I'll be joining you shortly! Admittedly I was a blubbering mess tonight, all I could think of is that it's the last time I'll put Oscar to bed as a baby. Which is ridiculous because he will get up in the morning absolutely no different to his usual self! I still feel a bit sad, although nothing has changed!

Although... today he found a new skill, as pictured. Blech. Definitely a paternal trait. Makes me cry with laughter every time he does it though, because he only does it to make me laugh. And it works.

_12587.jpg

Lol I love that picture!! ^

Here is a pic a few weeks ago with baby girl playing with water on the floor. She can be so serious!

_12750.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love seeing all the Santa pics! So cute!

I'm just a lurker but I thought I'd pop in and ask a question. A friend of mine who is having a boy in 2 months and I'm not sure what to get her for a gift. After you had your baby/babies, which type of gift did you prefer -- one from your registry or something more personal? We've been friends for over 25 years, so part of me wants to get something that's not on her registry, which is minimal anyway. She's a very practical person and doesn't see the need for lots of stuff, which is one of the reasons why her registry is so small. If I stuck to the registry, there's just a few baby toys, a monitor, a baby thermometer, and a few pacifiers. What did you really want to get from friends when you were pregnant? TIA!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe, some of the most practical gifts were Aiden & Anais swaddle blankets, a bouncy seat, and a snug a bunny swing. We got a lot of use out of those items right away.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations, JGator! I appreciate it.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe, also if you live near your friend if you can stop by with dinner that would be really appreciated. One of our good friends came by with dinner and breakfast pastries for the next morning the day we brought our daughter home from the hospital.

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Zoe- I was like your friend and didn't want a lot of extra baby stuff. I also kept my registry pretty simple. If it were me, I would prefer something from my registry because that was the stuff I knew I really needed. What I always do in this scenario is buy something from the registry with the majority of my budget for the gift and then buy something fun or personalized with the rest of the budget. That way she gets both what she needs and wants and I get to feel like I put some of my own thought into the gift.

Some things I loved:
-Aiden and Anais blankets but I got 4 packs of them as gifts and where I live (SoCal) every baby has them, so other people might get her them as well.
-Bouncey Seat
-Baby Gym (play mat for tummy time)
-Prince Lionheart washpod- this one is really cool and probably something your friend wouldn't think of. It's basically a bucket that is made for giving the baby a bath. Because the baby is so deep in the water it is supposed to feel womb-like. Our daughter never once cried during her baths (most newborns scream in traditional baby baths). The downside is the baby outgrows it at 6 months we use our "bucket" as a little hamper for her dirty clothes now. Check out the reviews on Amazon though.
-Video Monitor- love being able to check on her without going in her room
Nursing cover if she wants to nurse- I had a couple cheap ones but I had to go and buy a bigger more expensive one because as a new mom I had a hard time keeping myself covered and getting her latched at the same time. Once she gets more experienced, those A+A blankets mentioned above also work great as a nursing cover.

My daughter really loved:
-Sophie the giraffe teether toys- Another super popular gift that every baby seems to have but O really liked hers for a while. Now at almost 10 months she has moved on though. They were great for that phase where they just want to hold and chew on something though. I highly recommend the small teether with the handles. It's cheaper and my DD loved holding it even when she was very tiny. Everyone asks me where I got it.
http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Sophie-Giraffe-Vanilla-Teether/dp/B0038JDAJ8/ref=pd_cp_ba_1
-Taggies blanket- someone got her a small one and it was not something I would have picked out but she loved holding it and playing with the tags in the early months
-Books especially the more well known board books. She loves Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear, Brown Bear. Now at 10 months she loves any book that has flaps for her to open.

Other fun ideas:
-Prenatal massage
-Dinner gift cards
-Baby shoes- Being super practical, I never wanted to buy my baby shoes before she was walking. But now that she is crawling and walking when held by her hands I am so thankful that we got shoes as gifts. If you got her size 3 or 4 the baby will probably be able to get some real use out of them. Look on instagram at all the cute moccasins that are being sold. They are perfect for early walkers since they are so thin. Freshly Picked is the most popular brand I think.
-Baby legwarmers We got a lot of onesies as gifts with no matching pants. Baby legwarmers are perfect with onesies and we get compliments every time she wears them. They are cute for boys too!
-Baby "bib-danas" They sell these at H&M too but I like the ones on instagram and Etsy. They are cute little bibs that look like a scarf or bandana. They catch drool or spitup but look more fashionable than a plain bib.
-Look on Etsy or Instagram for other handmade baby products!
-Start a "meal train" online for her. There is a website where her friends can sign up to deliver a meal in those first early weeks. It's so nice not to have to worry about cooking!

I can't believe I just typed all that! Meant to say a few things and then my brain got rolling! Hope something in all that helps!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks again, JGator! Unfortunately, we live in different states, about 8 hours from each other. If I lived close to her, I'd definitely bring over a few meals.

Thanks so much, Mia! I appreciate all the suggestions! One of things my friend registered for is a monitor. I was thinking of getting that, a few board books, and something else. I'll look through your list and see what I can find. I know she doesn't need clothes, otherwise I'd pick up a few outfits, too.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Mommies!

I've been a horrible PS'er! :| I keep meaning to come post here and try to revive our tired little newborn thread, but it's so hard to get the time these days.

Zoe, one thing we didn't buy at first but are so glad we did is a Rock n Sleep. We literally bought one while on vacation over the holidays because we couldn't live without it for 2 weeks! I also second the Aiden and Anis (sp?) swaddle blankets. They're so big that they'll work for a long time - both for the baby and for covering the car seat. We love them!

Hannah is turning 4 months old soon and it's just crazy how much she's grown. I tear up pretty much every time that I look back at the pictures we've taken of her and see how much she's already changed. She's generally a happy baby. We're cosleeping and hoping to transition her to her crib soon, but I'm not looking forward to the work that will go along with it.

I'll have to come back to post again but here's a quick picture of her. :)

_14174.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the recommendations, Tammy! Hannah is beautiful!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, ladies!! I just wanted to pop over here and introduce myself :) I'm a new Mommy to a fabulous 15 day old little lady, so I'm learning the ropes these days. It's AMAZING and tiring, but I am just so thankful to have our little bug! Right now I'm in cluster feeding mode, so we are not getting too much sleep and last night she was up most of the night with tummy (I'm assuming) issues (gas). I'm hoping tonight will be much better for her because it really does just break my heart to hear her upset and uncomfortable. Other than that though, I am totally enjoying being a Mama, breastfeeding and bonding with my sweet little Ella-bug and honestly, this is the most wonderful thing I've ever done with myself so I am loving every single moment. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and sharing stories, as PS has been such a fabulous community for getting engaged, married, being pregnant and I'm sure it'll be the same for having a little one!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to say hi too. My son Elias came 2 weeks early so I am now the proud mama of B age 5 and E age 4 days. Not sleeping much as E only likes to sleep on my chest and cluster feeds all.night.long, but I am loving my little guys.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Just some pics to go with my intro:)

e_in_the_0.jpg

b_and_e.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella I saw you post in the adoption thread and stalke you to find more information! Congrats on your second son's birth! He is gorgeous. B must be so happy. Enjoy the crazy wacky early days and always remember == this too shall pass ;)) Helps a lot in those long nights.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful boys, Bella!!!:)

Missy0483

Brilliant_Rock
Hey ladies! Just wanted to introduce myself over here, but most of you look familiar!

Jenna Grace, our rainbow baby, was born on 1/31 at 8:21pm. She was 7lbs 1oz and 19 1/4". I was actually due today! C-section was scheduled for 2/5, but my bp was high and I gained 6lbs in a week at my last appt (38w4d). So she was born a little earlier than planned, but she's perfect! We had a little scare when she was born. She came out crying, but by the time they got her to the table to get vitals, she had turned blue and wasn't breathing. They said excess mucous in the airway is common with c-sections and that's what happened. They got her breathing again almost right away. DH was right there to see it which makes me so sad after what happened with our son. Luckily I was out of it and didn't know what happened until the next day. But anyway, back to good things. She's so calm and content. She only gets upset when she's hungry or during diaper changes. She's such a blessing and we're so in love! I'm off work for 12 weeks this time so I'm happy for that! Here she is at the hospital after she was born and another from today.

cam01347.jpg

cam01420.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks DD, Dani, and Bean. We are having so much fun (though I am already like, let's TTC or start an adoption for a third, hormones are a powerful thing! :lol: )

Elias is a dream baby. He sleeps a lot (just not at night) and is a great nurser when he wants to nurse (but if he's not hungry, he is not at all interested in nursing).

I have a pretty huge milk supply and so leak/spray all the time, especially if he cries or if its about time to nurse. I just got some big wool nursing pads which should help (the little cotton ones are a joke), but does anyone have any tips on how to go out in public without huge wet spots on my shirt? We have family conferences at B's school tomorrow and I'd prefer to look dry and normal:)

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
FPS, Bella and Missy!!! Congratulations ladies. The babies are all beautiful. I need to stalk around for a pic of FPS's little lady still but I'm sure she's gorgeous! :bigsmile:

Hang in there girls! Smiles and giggles are just a few short (okay, long am while you're experiencing them) months away. I already miss Hannah's newborn days with the tiny baby snuggles. Ack, hormones!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, new baby moms! I just saw a deal online for babyleggings.com...you can get 5 pairs of baby leggings (valued at $10 each) for free using code ENBABY. You just need to pay the shipping which I believe is 12.95. I am not sure how long the promotion is valid for so if you are intested, act quickly! I just put 5 pairs in my card and added the promo code and it looks like it worked.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
JGator|1392331641|3614757 said:
Hi, new baby moms! I just saw a deal online for babyleggings.com...you can get 5 pairs of baby leggings (valued at $10 each) for free using code ENBABY. You just need to pay the shipping which I believe is 12.95. I am not sure how long the promotion is valid for so if you are intested, act quickly! I just put 5 pairs in my card and added the promo code and it looks like it worked.

I just bought 7 pairs! They look SO cute. :bigsmile:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:) We had newborn shots taken this morning...E wok up with baby acne today and peed all over the place during the shoot...TWICE...but I think we got some great shots of our family, B holding E :love: , and some squishy newborn shots of E.

Also, my job forgot to pay me today :angryfire: We have the biggest idiots in our HR/payroll department. I'm trying to figure out what happened since I am technically on paid vacation for the first 4 weeks of my leave, but argh...so frustrating!

Happy Valentine's Day mamas!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Typing this introduction one-handed as Cora nurses.

My second daughter, Cora Elizabeth was born on 2/12 @ 8:32 am via scheduled c-section. She weighed 7lbs., 7 oz. and was 19". So far she seems like a wonderful, easy going baby, but it's too early to really tell.

We're still in the hospital, but we're going home tomorrow (yay!) nursing is going really well this time. Cora is a good latches and my supply came in quickly. She is tongue tied, but for now nursing is good.

She's most sleepy from about 4am to 4pm. She's been cluster feeding in the evenings and into the night. I'm trying to get her cluster feeding started a little earlier today.

This thread was so helpful with Katie, hopefully I'll have time to stay up-to-date!

_14935.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Yay NEL!!!

E seems to be starting his 3 week growth spurt a few days early as he's nursing all.the.time again.

My PSA for the day is, keep taking your stool softeners way after you think you need them. Let's just say that today was a difficult day :knockout: !

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, NEL and Bella!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Cora was a week old yesterday--already feels like time is flying by!

The good:
Cora's laid-back personality keeps me sane. She's alert more and more every day, but so far she's a great sleeper at night. She usually has her last feed around 10pm, then wakes up at 2am and 5-6am. She sleeps until 8 or 8:30am, but K is up at 7, so I don't get to take advantage of sleeping in.

I'm much more confident about newborn stuff this time around. I also think that helps keep me sane.

The bad:
I'm worried about how to manage two when D goes back to work. Granted, K will be in daycare 4 days/week, but even getting her up, dressed, fed while nursing Cora and getting them both out the door will be tough.

C was born tongue tied and we had it clipped yesterday. That was fine, but in doing research we realized both Katie and Cora have upper frenum issues, so we'll have to keep an eye on those.

C has been refusing my right side, so I have hilariously lopsided boobs. At least she's nursing! I'm seeing an LC on mon.

C has lost about 7.5% of her body weight and the ped wants to see it come up by tomorrow. She has lots of wet diapers so I'm not worried and think she's been gaining weight since he saw her on Monday.

The ugly:
K woke up with a stomach bug in the MOTN. Not fun under normal circumstances, but really stressful with a week old baby in the house.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Just back from our 4 week appt (E is 4 weeks and 3 days--how is that possible ;( ).

My little tiny newborn who weighed 7lbs 2 oz is now a little chunk who weighs 10 lbs 3 oz !!! He's also grown an inch.

I just had to pack up all his size newborn clothes yesterday and our newborn cloth diapers probably have about 2 weeks left.

I can't believe how fast he's growing. he started rolling over last week. DH and I have both seen him do it several times, back to tummy and tummy to back, but he still doesn't get that his hands are connected to his arms so each time it kind of seems like an accident, but it's happened so many times.

We set up his little Baby Einstein play gym. He had an epic battle with the hanging octopus this morning, but again whenever he bats a toy it seems more lucky accident than intentional. He also loves to sleep on the mat :lol:

E is a great sleeper I think and he went from 11:30-3:30 last night woke to feed and then slept until 6 woke to feed and then slept until 8:30.

He's starting to take longer naps in the day, I think in a week or two he'll have a regular morning and afternoon nap, but he also takes cat naps throughout the day now.

DH keeps saying that he needs a schedule and he nurses too often (he cluster feeds in the late afternoon/evening when DH is home), etc. but I think E is on the whole a pretty easy newborn!

B is still a great big brother. We read somewhere to tell the baby "you need to be patient, I am doing xyz with your brother right now" whenever we do things we B and don't need to tend to E right then. It has worked like a charm and B is THRILLED that his brother also has to be "patient" and wait sometimes (he doesn't even notice if we say it and B is sleeping:)

I start working from home in 2 weeks which should be fine as long as E stays a good sleeper, but I am not really looking forward to going back full time at the end of April. I am REALLY hoping that my boss will be okay with me working from home 1 day a week then, and I've tried to be really flexible during my 6 weeks of leave to earn that kind of flexibility in return. I have a verbal agreement that I can work from home 1 day a week when I go back, but nothing formal...

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies! Just wanted to give a huge congratulations to Bella, Missy and NEL! Love love love all of your beautiful perfect newborns! :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results