shape
carat
color
clarity

Clueless ring owner trying to figure out what kind of gem

patfirefly

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I bought this ring from a vintage clothing seller, she said she didn't know anything about it except that the setting tested for gold and she thinks it was from the 50s. (it does I asked a jeweler to test it) It's really odd to me, only because when I put it under an incandescent bulb it looks sort of pink/magenta to me but when i wear it outside, it looks violet purple/blue. I have not had it looked at by anyone. It measures 16mm, 11mm, and about 8mm deep. Sorry for my terribly unprofessional descriptions. On another note, ever since I have had it, I've had very good luck…only 2 days but it's really great. The first pic was taken outside today (against the snow!) and the second one was taken under incandescent light in my house. Any insight appreciated.

img_3683.jpg

img_3685.jpg

patfirefly

Rough_Rock
Re: Clueless ring owner trying to figure out what kind of ge

OP-here, can't figure out how to upload…I'll keep trying

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your pictures probably won't be conclusive anyway but from your description there are several options:-

1. Colour change sapphire
2. Colour change garnet (unlikely)
3. A high probability that it's a synthetic corundum laced with vanadium to give the colour change. These were fairly common in jewellery from the early 1900s onwards and often were mistaken for Alexandrite (even though the colour change isn't right for them).

The only reason I would opt for #3 and not #1 is that if it has any size/clarity etc then the seller is more likely to know what it was (big presumption). Not knowing (or not disclosing) is an indicator that it could be #3. If it's a large fairly clean stone then that would point to #3 also.

Some of these stones can be very pretty indeed and you should enjoy wearing it because anything that chances colour is magical.

EDIT: Your photos have just loaded and I can see it's a big stone so my guess is definitely #3 now!

patfirefly

Rough_Rock

thanks so much! I will take it somewhere and have it evaluated. The seller is a little on the flakey side, she thought it was costume but set in gold, etc, who knows. She really is into clothes, just started, she's young. Anyway, I'll keep you updated and I do love the ring.

patfirefly

Rough_Rock

when I took it to the jeweler to get an estimate on it for resizing, he scraped it on something to test it, said it was white gold, gave me a price on resizing, looked at it under a loupe and said "that's quite a stone" I didn't want to press him on what he thought it was because I wan't sure if I wanted it resized and didn't want to ask him a bunch of questions and then not use him.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unfortunately, "that's quite a stone" doesn't help solve the mystery much! :twirl: I was going to say it could be amethyst, as most stones look slightly different in various lighting situations.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The size, clarity and colour change would make me guess synthetic colour change sapphire.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto for what Chrono and LD said. If you look on ebay or etsy you will find many vintage synthetic colour change rings with big purple stones like that. What matters is that you like it. :)

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Looks like amethyst to me. A refractive index reading would confirm this and there would be no need to remove it from the setting. Your average jeweler may not have the instrument to do this however.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

My first thought was amethyst too, but Chrono's & LD's ideas make the most sense. You never know, though, so Gene's suggestion is worth taking. Whatever, it's a neat ring & looks great on your hand!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

I also think it's amethyst. The colour change isn't significant enough to be cc corundum in my opinion. I think all cc corundum I've seen is a bluish to purplish colour change while on my screen this stone looks dark purple/light purple.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

LoversKites said:
I also think it's amethyst. The colour change isn't significant enough to be cc corundum in my opinion. I think all cc corundum I've seen is a bluish to purplish colour change while on my screen this stone looks dark purple/light purple.

To clarify, I was obviously talking about synthetic cc corundum; not all of it.

patfirefly

Rough_Rock

Thanks all, so you think it's worth spending $200 to find out what it is? Or should I just spend the $200 to resize to my finger and forget it?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Looks like an amethyst to me too.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

patfirefly|1392392921|3615227 said:
Thanks all, so you think it's worth spending $200 to find out what it is? Or should I just spend the $200 to resize to my finger and forget it?

Depends how much you want to know I guess. Up to you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

We can't tell from a picture. You will have to bring it to someone who knows how to test for what it is.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

patfirefly|1392392921|3615227 said:

I know AGL charges a bit more for stones that are set (vs. unset), but I wouldn't be surprised if the report cost less than $200. Their regular gem brief is $60 I believe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results