shape
carat
color
clarity

First time buyer questions re- sapphires

Sunshine219

Rough_Rock
Hi all! I've been searching for a yellow sapphire for some time and thought I knew enough to her a good stone, but after lurk on here for a bit I quickly realized I was wrong lol. I have found 2 stones that I like. Could you tell me your opinion? I'm also up to recommendations to sites and sellers. I like a lighter yellow color.
I found both of these at the natural sapphire co.
Im undecided about a halo design or just pronged. I have a few settings I could share for opinions too of you'd like.

Thanks everyone!

_14844.jpg

_14845.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Those are a pretty, fresh lemon color. Natural Sapphire Company sucks though. (Do a google search for: pricescope.com Natural Sapphire Company). Both of those look to have cut issues.

I'm not good with yellow sapphires, so maybe someone else can chime in, but here are a few:

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_yellow_orange.html

Sunshine219

Rough_Rock
That's good to know, thanks! I've read mixed reviews about them. I've been to a few local diamond dealers but they were not well versed in sapphires. And I feel lost with all the sites that sell stones. I have until Sept to find the perfect stone :twirl:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome!
first, most diamond vendors/jewelers know zilch about color stones...in fact, you probably already know more than they do.
personally, I wouldn't buy from Natural Sapphire.....
and I'd just keep saving $ until I found "the one" that made my heart sing.
how to do that?
see as many as you can in person....read lots here....and shop with vendors with good return policies so you can return stones if they don't met your criteria.
remember: in the color stone world COLOR is queen/king and I think CUT comes next.
now that you've identified the yellow color you prefer, decide on the cut.
also, decide if you can live with heated only or want an untreated stone.
if you haven't studied them yet, look at "windows": can you live with a tilt window? most of us cannot live with a stone that can be seen straight through, some live with a tilt window.
good luck in your search; you've come to the right place!

Sunshine219

Rough_Rock
I'd prefer non heated. And no window please :) I'm leaning to a radiant. Either rectangle radiant or square. I know what I want I just don't know where to look lol. Also I'm looking to spend $3-$5k on the stone. Want it 2.5-3.5carats

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking you probably know that what you seek will be difficult to find. Yellows in sapphires are not as prevalent as other colors - and often the yellows available have been Beryllium treated. Combine that with the fact that you want a very specific kind of cut makes it very very difficult. So I might look a bit, but then if you don't see anything that comes close, I would compromise on some of your criteria - either be willing to accept a different type of cut, and/or accept low heat treatment. Jeff Davies did have a lovely yellow sapphire in a cushion shape that another PSer was considering for a time; he would be another vendor to consider.

Sunshine219

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the site! I just don't know where to shop and I am willing to compromise, but the described is my dream stone lol
Thanks!!
Can any one recommend any other sites too?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I think that Swissmiss recently got 2 beautiful yellow sapphires that are both being returned as she decided to go with a pink stone instead (seen here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sapphires-from-africagems-marc-sarosi.197884/). The yellow asscher from Africa Gems was over your budget, but the 6ct yellow cushion from Jeff Davies was within your budget and looked gorgeous (here: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/454441418621579828/) - not a radiant cut but a squarish cushion. I think she is returning it to him, so if you are interested you may try contacting him directly.

ETA: Oops, just realized you were looking for something much smaller. Oh well, still may be worthwhile to contact Jeff and see if he can get something similar in the size/cut you are looking for.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I know they used to not use pictures of the actual stones, but is that still true? I guess the gemstone business is all about being able to trust.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1392312767|3614448 said:
I know they used to not use pictures of the actual stones, but is that still true? I guess the gemstone business is all about being able to trust.

Preg: are you referring to a particular vendor? I'm sure you do too, but I only buy from vendors who show me the actual stone - I wouldn't know how to judge otherwise. :))

Sunshine219

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1392310827|3614411 said:
Which criteria(s) is negotiable?

Andrew Gulij of Gemfix - www.gemfix.com
John - www.simplysapphires.com
Roger Dery of Spectral Gems - www.spectralgems.net

I can compromise the shape ( would like radiant or cushion but would consider oval) and heat treatment. I would also consider a small window and some peripheral extinctions. I plan on keeping this and wearing it daily forever. It's my wedding uograde :) will also pay more for my stone. I'd like to stay at 10k foe entire ring and want platinum and yellow gold and 1ct diamonds on band. Undecided on halo or larger side stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results