• 4 - lighter speckled

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • 5 - keep the original choice

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
So we're building a house and in short it's kind of nightmarish

My FI chose some things then decided he wasn't so sure about his choices, but it's too late to change the majority of those choices!

We CAN change the granite however - he chose a higher cost granite than I THOUGHT we'd discussed, and didn't show me the others.

The last picture, what his original choice was, shows the cabinet and backsplash color best.

I'm not giving my opinion on which I like best, just want to gather everyone else opinion!

I should mention (or maybe not) that option 3 and 4 have no up charge, they are included in the price of the home.

img_3551.jpg

img_3554.jpg

img_3555.jpg

img_3556.jpg

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Current choice is below

img_3563.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't care for your current choice. There's not enough contrast for me. It's too blendy with your cabinets and even the backsplash isn't enough to make it work for me, personally.

I do prefer the newer choices.

The lighter speckled is looking pinkish-beige. So for me that's off the list as well.

The rest are tied for me. Any of the other three are about the same IMO. So in that case I'd pick whichever is included in the home price. I wouldn't pay for an upcharge. The granite choices just aren't that different to warrant an upgrade charge for any of them.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1391644016|3608742 said:
I don't care for your current choice. There's not enough contrast for me. It's too blendy with your cabinets and even the backsplash isn't enough to make it work for me, personally.

I do prefer the newer choices.

The lighter speckled is looking pinkish-beige. So for me that's off the list as well.

The rest are tied for me. Any of the other three are about the same IMO. So in that case I'd pick whichever is included in the home price. I wouldn't pay for an upcharge. The granite choices just aren't that different to warrant an upgrade charge for any of them.

kind of my thoughts, i don't mind his choice, but it is NOT what i would have chosen myself.

also - all of the choices are less in price than his choice! I'm just trying to save some $$ here! haha

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd pay for an upcharge for the countertops of my custom home, if I loved one of the choices.

For like a River White Granite or something silver grey like this: http://www.stonecontact.com/products-142275/silver-grey-granite-slabs -- yeah, that would be worth the upcharge for me.

But the speckled ones where they are so similar... not worth the upcharge IMO except to avoid pinks (not a fan of pinky tones in the kitchen).

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1391644840|3608766 said:
I'd pay for an upcharge for the countertops of my custom home, if I loved one of the choices.

For like a River White Granite or something silver grey like this: http://www.stonecontact.com/products-142275/silver-grey-granite-slabs -- yeah, that would be worth the upcharge for me.

But the speckled ones where they are so similar... not worth the upcharge IMO except to avoid pinks (not a fan of pinky tones in the kitchen).

well there are MANY more choices, just not ones i'm willing to pay - even if they are amazing! Frankly I'm just happy to have something other than formica!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovebug1031|1391645167|3608774 said:

well there are MANY more choices, just not ones i'm willing to pay - even if they are amazing! Frankly I'm just happy to have something other than formica!

EXACTLY! So I would go with whichever you like best of the choices posted, that is included in the home. That would be my solution to the issue. I wouldn't upcharge unless it was to get EXACTLY my perfect granite. If I have to settle, I might as well avoid the upcharge!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1391645777|3608788 said:
lovebug1031|1391645167|3608774 said:

EXACTLY! So I would go with whichever you like best of the choices posted, that is included in the home. That would be my solution to the issue. I wouldn't upcharge unless it was to get EXACTLY my perfect granite. If I have to settle, I might as well avoid the upcharge!

thank you for the advice! What I REALLY want is slate....it's not an option - so I do think it makes sense to not pay for an upgrade if it isn't what we REALLY want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that's really wise. :wavey:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this house either has the "current choice" or something very close to it and I can tell you I dislike it intensely. it is TOO dark. period.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Ours is similar to the last picture, the one on the right with light speckles with pinkish salmon-y color with grey, black and white.

It was one of the least expensive choices and we both liked it the best at the time. We are very happy with it.

Granite slab is gorgeous and I think whichever type you pick, you won't go wrong. It's hard to decide because there are so many colors, and then light, medium and dark. But, being a rockhound, I think they all look great.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I opted for the first pic, the darker granite as it looks nicer to me.

However, it may not be significantly different to the current choice to justify the expense to change it.

DK :))

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
dk168|1391691494|3609160 said:
I opted for the first pic, the darker granite as it looks nicer to me.

However, it may not be significantly different to the current choice to justify the expense to change it.

DK :))

the current choice is the most expensive of the lot, the darker one (first pic) is a bit cheaper.

also - thanks for all your feedback everyone!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My granite looks similar to number one and I love it. I choose 1. I picked it myself and installed it in my home and have no regrets.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I happen to like the original choice, but I am biased because it looks like the exact same granite that we have in our kitchen :)

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy said:
I happen to like the original choice, but I am biased because it looks like the exact same granite that we have in our kitchen :)

Yep. Looks like mine too and I love it and get lots of compliments on it. :) Would definitely choose the same again.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the granite in the first pic best.

FWIW, I have not read anyone else's vote.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
thanks again everyone for your replies! If we are indeed changing the granite (long story) we'll go with the first one (also my top choice)!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like your current choices are too dark. And the lighter ones may turn salmon color in certain lighting. I would go with a creamy color to off set your cabinets especially if the smaller tiles are your backsplash.

_14642.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hostapogi, I like that a lot! For the OP, I would prefer the granite to me a little creamer, or have creamer elements to pick up the backsplash.

Of the choices presented, I like the first one the best. A distant second is the one with the red veining; samples 2-4 have that speckled look that I don't like for traditional style cabinets.

I just recently redid our kitchen with white cabinets, black appliances, and a light wood floor. We put in Black Pearl granite for contrast, and love it. The thing that struck me, upon seeing it the first time, is that the effect was much bigger and not what expected based on the sample. It is hard to imagine all that granite color in your kitchen at once, but you can look at pics like Hostapogi's and see if you like dark cabinets and light back splashes with dark or light granite.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Hospatogi|1391816347|3610460 said:
I feel like your current choices are too dark. And the lighter ones may turn salmon color in certain lighting. I would go with a creamy color to off set your cabinets especially if the smaller tiles are your backsplash.

unfortunately none of the choices we're willing to pay for are lighter - i wasn't present when all of the choices were made, so he chose things i may not have opted for, or didn't even consider how some thing may look together before ruling them out!

LetItShine

Shiny_Rock
I think it's a pretty granite. I would definately recommend under cabinet lighting. That will really help brighten things up. What are you doing on the floor?

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
LetItShine|1391894452|3610962 said:
I think it's a pretty granite. I would definately recommend under cabinet lighting. That will really help brighten things up. What are you doing on the floor?

we are def. planning on under cabinet lighting for sure! flooring is a light tile similar to the back splash, nothing fancy.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
lovebug1031|1392151369|3613010 said:

we are def. planning on under cabinet lighting for sure! flooring is a light tile similar to the back splash, nothing fancy.

Under cabinet lighting is so pretty and I like granite option #1 as well (if you DO decide to change from the current choice to one of the others you've posted).

Two tiny pieces of advice or lessons-learned from my experience: What helped me decide when we were building was taking the samples to the house and looking at them under my kitchen lights. I was surprised by how different the samples looked in the showroom vs in my kitchen. I also was able to visit the granite warehouse and choose the actual slabs that were going to be cut and installed in our home. Again, I was shocked when my original choice (which looked really great as a sample in my kitchen) looked extremely "off" when looking at an enormous slab of it. It added time to the project schedule (and we were literally back to square one in the process) but I was so thankful that I saw the mistake prior to having it installed in the kitchen.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Roxy|1392255507|3614008 said:
lovebug1031|1392151369|3613010 said:

Under cabinet lighting is so pretty and I like granite option #1 as well (if you DO decide to change from the current choice to one of the others you've posted).

Two tiny pieces of advice or lessons-learned from my experience: What helped me decide when we were building was taking the samples to the house and looking at them under my kitchen lights. I was surprised by how different the samples looked in the showroom vs in my kitchen. I also was able to visit the granite warehouse and choose the actual slabs that were going to be cut and installed in our home. Again, I was shocked when my original choice (which looked really great as a sample in my kitchen) looked extremely "off" when looking at an enormous slab of it. It added time to the project schedule (and we were literally back to square one in the process) but I was so thankful that I saw the mistake prior to having it installed in the kitchen.
That's a great idea! I watch too much HGTV and I almost always see the couple choosing the granite from a large slab! My parents gutted their bathroom last year . We agonized over every detail from tiles, to faucets, lighting, and paint. It came out amazing but I was so glad when it was over ! I came away with a new respect for interior designers ..I don't think I'd have the patience for it!

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
lovebug1031|1391838360|3610631 said:
Hospatogi|1391816347|3610460 said:

unfortunately none of the choices we're willing to pay for are lighter - i wasn't present when all of the choices were made, so he chose things i may not have opted for, or didn't even consider how some thing may look together before ruling them out!
I wish I didn't have such a type A personality! I'd never have been comfortable letting my DH make design choices without me. Luckily my DH has taken the attitude of happy wife happy life!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results