shape
carat
color
clarity

I just picked up a "preloved" emerald, so excited

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Just picked up this ring on DB.
"Gorgeous 1.99ct natural pear-cut Emerald - represented to me as Colombian origin - bright emerald green color - very nice pear cut with 11.13 x 6.99 x 5.17mm dimensions - faint inclusions - custom Argentium Silver beaded bezel setting made by Michael E - just a lovely ring in great condition! (see laboratory report verifying natural origin and Excel treatment)"

I am so excited, I have always wanted an emerald. Reading here, many caution about wearing an emerald daily. I have never harmed a ring...I think I tend to be gentle with jewelry. Should I keep it in my jewelry box, or enjoy it daily? Do you think the setting would help minimize danger to the emerald?

http://diamondbistro.com/category/219/Colored-Center-Stone/listings/37407/199ct-natural-Emerald-Pear-ring.html

9595894.jpg

3577541__1__0.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! What is Excel treatment? :read:

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
That's very pretty! Looks like a nice color. I like the milgrain on the bezel.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm only starting to learn up more about emeralds but from what I gather it's one of the better treatments out there. It's a resin treatment that only affects the surface of the stone and makes the stone more durable. That's all I know :tongue:

Pretty ring. I like the design on the bezel.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
To add to what I said earlier, I googled a bit and found out that it's an organic, colourless resin which is applied to the surface of the emerald. It's an upgrade of the Gematrat treatment and it's safe to put an Excel treated emerald through ultrasonic cleaning. They are much more durable than oil treated emeralds and have a long lifespan and discolouration doesn't occur. Basically, it's not like glass filled corundum which is mostly glass.

There is an Excel lab in NYC.

Oh, and the treatment can even be removed. Not sure how. I think it's a nice way to get a clean emerald at a good price.

So, to the OP, you probably will be able to wear this ring daily since the Excel treatment boosts the durability.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll encourage you to slip that lovely ring on your finger, not leave it languishing in your jewelry box. In the 20+ years I wore my antique, emerald-diamond engagement ring daily, it suffered just 1 teensy-weensy chip (all the stones were prong-set). Like you, I am apparently not "hard" on my rings & I did take precautions, like taking it off when doing chores... but I didn't baby it more than any other ring. ENJOY :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the compliments. I thought the color pretty too.

Loverskites: Thanks for your input on the ExCell treatment...I hope it does help the durability. Interesting facts on the treatment. Happy it has a guarantee for the life of the emerald too.
Hoping more experts will chime and and give their thoughts on daily wear.

Molly: Whoohoo, just what I was hoping to hear! thanks for your input!

Also have a project 8ct dark, well-cut (said my gemologist) amethyst marquis being set right now. If I needed to, I could put the emerald up for daily wear and wear the amethyst instead (a 19.22 x 12.10 honker!)...but hoping to manage both!

I have been reading as much as I can to learn about gems, diamonds and other shiny things. My inner nerd loves learning new things and the subject sure is fun!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Great color. A bonus is at the carat weight is just a hair under the 2 carat mark so you've got the look of a huge emerald without the crazy price tag. Good work!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like that ring a lot!

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Wear it under normal circumstances. Avoid immersing the ring in harsh chemicals (ammonia, bleach), and take it off if you're doing some heavy lifting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a really pretty ring. I would have gotten it, except I know myself and am not a big "pear" person (have purchased pear stones and then never get around to setting them). The setting should be protective, so just use common sense and enjoy in good health!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results