shape
carat
color
clarity

Recut done--Spessartite and tsavorite

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
I finally decided to recut two stones I inquired about two years ago... The old thread can be found here with original pictures
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/would-you-recut-this-stone.180138/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/would-you-recut-this-stone.180138/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-spess.179202/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-spess.179202/[/URL]

Both stones were recut by Jerry. Also the first time I do recut on my stones...
The spess went from 4.37ct to 3.29ct. Tsavorite went from 2.62ct to 2.19ct (Glad it's still over 2ct)
First Jerry's quick pictures...

dsc_0237__800x536_.jpg

dsc_0236__800x536_.jpg

p1080152__800x600_.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Tsavorite first, it's still a somewhat dark stone though, not like the medium bluish green we all love here in PS

img_3597.jpg

img_3598.jpg

img_3599.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
go on

img_3600.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Spessartite

img_3601.jpg

img_3602.jpg

img_3604.jpg

img_3605.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
go on

img_3607.jpg

img_3609.jpg

img_3610.jpg

img_3611.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
go on

img_3615.jpg

img_3616.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Also wanted to share a 3ct CC spinel I got.

_14701.jpg

_14702.jpg

_14703.jpg

_14704.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Last batch of pictures...

img_3622.jpg

img_3625.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Frankly I'm not quite fond of the extinction on the spinel, looka like a pair of wings...I really want to get rid of it... :angryfire:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Is the spinel also from Jerry?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1391904699|3611083 said:
Is the spinel also from Jerry?

Oh no, it is not recut by Jerry. Sorry for the confusion.

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That spess is fabulous!!! makes me want a glowing ball of fire too!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
endless_summer|1391905525|3611095 said:
That spess is fabulous!!! makes me want a glowing ball of fire too!

Thank you. Thanks to Jerry's magic hands, it' like reborn

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous all round OTL! I am sending something for a recut by Jerry too so what I see and what you said makes me feel great!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
ilovegemstones|1391906507|3611102 said:
Gorgeous all round OTL! I am sending something for a recut by Jerry too so what I see and what you said makes me feel great!

I'd love to see a before and after shot after it's done!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The difference is night & day -- especially the spess! They both look much better -- what a wizard he is. The spinel's cc is incredible!

--- Laurie

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The tsav is really different too. Amazing.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1391907051|3611107 said:
The difference is night & day -- especially the spess! They both look much better -- what a wizard he is. The spinel's cc is incredible!

--- Laurie

He is indeed amazing at what he's capable of.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad it was such a success :appl:

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Lovely recuts!!

I also adore your spinel! the crown on that beauty!! Delicious! I see what you mean about the extinction, but I'd be afraid of changing the colour if you try to re-cut it. I had Jerry recut a purple spinel I have, and while it's more brilliant, in hindsight I sometimes wish I hadn't - it's much more grey now.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
petit_bijou said:
Lovely recuts!!

I also adore your spinel! the crown on that beauty!! Delicious! I see what you mean about the extinction, but I'd be afraid of changing the colour if you try to re-cut it. I had Jerry recut a purple spinel I have, and while it's more brilliant, in hindsight I sometimes wish I hadn't - it's much more grey now.

I understand. Native step cut sometimes accumulate color saturation. That's why not all stones are recut material.
LoversKites said:
I'm glad it was such a success :appl:

Thank you!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Love those recuts. Job well done.

Annette

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That must be such a thrilling feeling to get them back reborn. As to your spinel, why did you have to go mention bat wings? Now I can't stop seeing a bat! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rorschach test.

Yes, it looks like that spinel has a few cutting issues.

Have you set anything lately OTL?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild said:
Rorschach test.

Yes, it looks like that spinel has a few cutting issues.

Have you set anything lately OTL?

No, haven't set anything, but will start pretty soon. I have a mint garnet will be set in the same setting of my blue sapphire ring. (It's a heart)

minousbijoux said:
That must be such a thrilling feeling to get them back reborn. As to your spinel, why did you have to go mention bat wings? Now I can't stop seeing a bat! :lol:

Ha, once you see it, you can't stop seeing it

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
So I placed the spess in a 10x8 setting. Do you think it looks stupidly large on me? I'm having problems with setting large stones, as I always feel when they are bigger than a certain size, they look dumb and stupid on my hand, like they are not feminine and elegant anymore. Is that just my illusion?

_14744.jpg

_14746.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I think you can easily rock the size of that spess - you have such elegant hands. :)) But, it feels to me that the proportions are off a bit for the spess (but maybe that is strictly a personal preference?) as I would like to see a more delicate, and smaller ring of diamonds, forming the halo. In other words, make your spess the star.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1392008218|3611776 said:
Honestly, I think you can easily rock the size of that spess - you have such elegant hands. :)) But, it feels to me that the proportions are off a bit for the spess (but maybe that is strictly a personal preference?) as I would like to see a more delicate, and smaller ring of diamonds, forming the halo. In other words, make your spess the star.

I see and I agree that smaller ring will look better. Maybe not a halo just some side stones too. I still feel it is so much harder for me to choose a setting for large stones because for a 6mm or 7mm just halo them or bezel them, add as many diamond melees as possible, ain't gonna look bad.

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
OTL said:
I see and I agree that smaller ring will look better. Maybe not a halo just some side stones too. I still feel it is so much harder for me to choose a setting for large stones because for a 6mm or 7mm just halo them or bezel them, add as many diamond melees as possible, ain't gonna look bad.

I feel like that halo takes away from the beauty of your stone - it's such a gorgeous color I would want to see it from all sides. since it's a large stone and you're not completely used to the size yet, how about just putting it in a simple setting with an open basket? it's a little too fragile for daily wear that way probably, but would be very cool..

and how about an E-W setting? andI know this setting is ridiculous, though kind of cute at the same time, how about making a setting like the centre portion: http://www.glamourgoddessfashion.com/piaget-limelight-cocktail-rings/piaget-cocktail-ring9/

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
sonyachancs|1392011150|3611794 said:
OTL said:

I feel like that halo takes away from the beauty of your stone - it's such a gorgeous color I would want to see it from all sides. since it's a large stone and you're not completely used to the size yet, how about just putting it in a simple setting with an open basket? it's a little too fragile for daily wear that way probably, but would be very cool..

and how about an E-W setting? andI know this setting is ridiculous, though kind of cute at the same time, how about making a setting like the centre portion: http://www.glamourgoddessfashion.com/piaget-limelight-cocktail-rings/piaget-cocktail-ring9/

Very interesting setting sonya. In fact, I think I've never seen rings like that. Those are different from what I want though. I still like to have white diamonds and white gold for this stone, some people prefer a yellow gold for spess--the warm vs. warm while I prefer the cool vs. warm. Thanks for sharing this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results