shape
carat
color
clarity

New Yorkers please help me

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Could a New Yorker please advise me of what the addressing system means.

For example an address is xx East xx street, xxx suite

What does each part mean? :confused:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's try it this way -

nn East xx Street, ## suite.

nn is the building/house number, like the numeric part of your home's street address.

xx is the street number, like 42nd street or 58th street. If you think of the island as a hot dog (Sorry, Manhattanites), the streets run across the island while the avenues run length-wise.

East indicates that your building is east of 5th Avenue, which also runs along the southern border of Central Park. West is west of 5th Avenue. So if you're looking at nn East 58th Street, your address will be on 58th Street east of 5th Avenue.

The ### is the suite number within the building. Usually the first numeral (or two) will indicate which floor the suite is on.

Is that what you were looking for?

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you,

Okay, say I have sent something:

The business in the address is correct
The xx North is correct
The xx street is correct
The suite is wrong by one number, ie 401 instead of 201
The postcode is correct

So everything is wrong but the first digit in the suite.

As I am sending from overseas, do you believe it will end up being returned to me?
Or do you believe it's possible the postman will deliver it to the correct location? The suite I entered does not exist (ETA it does not exist as a googled it). I know this is a question for my post office but it's Sunday. I also think they need to sign for it as well.

I've informed the business that I put the wrong level in the address.

I have got myself in such a state over this - I really hope it works out okay and hope that it just ends up at the correct suite. :blackeye:

Thank you VR beauty your explanation has helped calm me a bit. I may even try to call the building on the street Monday US time to let them know.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm assuming you also got the zip code correct?

Because the building address and zip code are correct, your envelope or package should make it out of the regional and local distribution centers and into the correct mail carrier's bag. The rest depends on the mail carrier. If they recognize the recipient's name - and if it's the carrier who normally has that route, the chances are that they will - they'll probably deliver it to the proper recipient, especially if the suite number you put on the package doesn't exist.

In some buildings the mail is probably handed to a doorman who distributes it to the individual tenants. The doorman should also know who the building's tenants are and be able to get the package to the correct suite.

Of course there's always the very remote possibility that one of these people is the sort whose panties are always in a bunch, and they might use the incorrect suite number as an excuse to return the package to you or whatever - in which case you basically end up postal purgatory. Fortunately you've already notified the recipient; they'll probably have a better idea of whether this is a reason to be concerned, and could alert the mail carrier or doorman to the problem.

BTW I'm not a New Yorker, I'm a West Coast insomniac :bigsmile: who recently went through a bit of postal purgatory but lived to tell the tale. The New York early birds will be up in a few hours and can set us both straight if I got any of that wrong.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you soooo much for reassuring me, I was nearly in tears. I was so sad that the thing I sent may end up, as you say in postal purgatory and disappoint everyone. :((

My husband just got home and said the exact same thing as you, he's very practical and believe it will be okay.

Yes, all the other numbers were right, the zip code is that long number at the end.

I was thinking you were up late, I was so panicked I was googling times in New York so I could ring a business to get them to explain NY addresses to me.

I am so grateful you were up. Allowing me to understand what digit I got wrong made me feel so much better. I do imagine they would receive quite a few packages so the mailman should know them.

I feel much better now.

A tip I googled after this panic is to print the address they send you. Particularly when there are different countries you are sending to and the mailing addresses look like code.

Thank you VR Beauty.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everything VRBeauty said. Since it says "suite", I'm assuming you sent a package to a business. It sounds like you addressed the package to the correct building, but to a non-existent suite (particular office in the building). If you put the business name on the package, the mail carrier (and doorman, if there is one) will probably default to the suite of the business name.

Did you get tracking service for the package?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's easy to do in the United States .. great way to track your package at the USPS!!

mary poppins|1391353410|3606408 said:
I agree with everything VRBeauty said. Since it says "suite", I'm assuming you sent a package to a business. It sounds like you addressed the package to the correct building, but to a non-existent suite (particular office in the building). If you put the business name on the package, the mail carrier (and doorman, if there is one) will probably default to the suite of the business name.

Did you get tracking service for the package?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bliss_cathy|1391336009|3606325 said:
I feel much better now.

A tip I googled after this panic is to print the address they send you. Particularly when there are different countries you are sending to and the mailing addresses look like code.

Thank you VR Beauty.

You're very welcome. From what you've told us there should be no problem, but here's some *dust* just in case!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1391331800|3606308 said:
Let's try it this way -

nn East xx Street, ## suite.

nn is the building/house number, like the numeric part of your home's street address.

xx is the street number, like 42nd street or 58th street. If you think of the island as a hot dog (Sorry, Manhattanites), the streets run across the island while the avenues run length-wise.

East indicates that your building is east of 5th Avenue, which also runs along the southern border of Central Park. West is west of 5th Avenue. So if you're looking at nn East 58th Street, your address will be on 58th Street east of 5th Avenue.

The ### is the suite number within the building. Usually the first numeral (or two) will indicate which floor the suite is on.

Is that what you were looking for?

All very right, but 5th ave is the eastern border of central park. 59th street is the southern border, but is called central park south between 5th ave and columbus circle.
If the only thing wrong was the suite number, and that off by only a digit, I expect it will be delivered no problem.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much everyone. There's no emoticon to express my gratitude and relief.

I actually heard from the company, and they said as everything else was right they would expect to receive it and will let me know.

It's still to early in Australia to ring AUSpost. However I understood I paid for insured and tracking, but when I entered the tracking number into the website it said it was signature on delivery. That's why I need to talk to AUSpost too, as they told me it was tracking, but that's still 3 hours or so till they begin work.

Thanks for the Dust VR Beauty. Vapid lady and Mary Poppins thank you for the reassurance. Thanks Tekate too for your empathy and I need to really consider the platinum postal packages when sending abroad.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Ahhhhh, seems I am more thorough than I thought, I have sent the package with insurance, tracking and sign on delivery, I was in the wrong website before. For anyone who may be interested, the AUSpost once it leaves Australia is then tracked by USPS.

AUSpost are also confident it will arrive.

Apparently there have been snowstorms in NY causing delays, so that's why it's taking a bit longer too.

For the NYers keep warm! I was there last year this time of year, I got horribly sick from one of your nasty NY flues!!! I was bedridden for 3 days!! The flu is worse in NY than in Australia, ours are quite mild. Please stay healthy, rugged up and warm.

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
It arrived!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear everything worked out okay!

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks VR beauty and Mary Poppins.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to ask - does this package involve something that might show up in SMTB one of these days? :naughty:

bliss_cathy

Shiny_Rock
I don't think so, If it did show up I'd be very happy to see it there - hanging out in the home it was destined for :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results