shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you rather...

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I am in the process of selling some of my pieces in hopes of getting enough money together to buy one very nice, fine gemstone. I have a terrible habit of buying something in the heat of the moment because I have money burning a hole in my pocket instead of saving up for something truly special.

So my question is, would you rather have a few (many?) pieces that are pretty/fun/enjoyable or one super rare and gorgeous piece?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one super gorgeous!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
A few enjoyable

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I bet that responses are going to be based on whether or not you like to change out your pieces. For me, personally, I find that most of my jewelry sits in my jewelry box, never to see the light of day. I love OWNING them (my precious), but rarely find myself pulling them out of their hiding place. It's a shame, too, because they are certainly pretty!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
For me, definitely MANY pieces that are pretty, fun, and enjoyable. I feel like the Earth is full of too many beautiful things to only have one. Plus the stuff I paid most for isn't always the stuff my eyes go to first.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
But then, like you said, I switch up my rings every day. Eventually I may have to start putting stones in pendants because a gal only needs so many rings. But I'm far from that number as of yet. :naughty:

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
For me I'll do a few enjoyable pieces, a few fun pieces and a few gorgeous pieces. Knowing myself too well, I will get bored with that one super rare and gorgeous ring easily. That happens to my unheated pink orange emerald cut sapphire ring, it doesn't take long before I start to get the itch of creating another coloured stone ring again. Since then, I'll get the itch whenever someone posts new rings.

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
One super rare and gorgeous piece.

That said, I am exactly the same with struggling to let the funds get to that level. I often have to leave PS when I am saving because seeing everyone else's stuff her make me want EVERYTHING. I am often absent :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two gems that I would desire more than any others.

1) 3+ carat fine unheated Burmese ruby
2) 2+ carat fine fancy vivid green diamond

Since I will never attain either, even if I sold my whole gem collection, I am happy to have a lot of nice gems that aren't worth a king's ransom, but aren't horrible either.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Snowyrin|1391567747|3608092 said:
?..it doesn't take long before I start to get the itch...
And how.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How about 3 fantastic gem rings, instead of more 3 that are not as fantastic?

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
sphenequeen|1391569628|3608125 said:
Snowyrin|1391567747|3608092 said:
?..it doesn't take long before I start to get the itch...
And how.

Erm, scratch it by clicking more buttons online then visit my favorite jeweller. :Up_to_something:

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1391569839|3608128 said:
How about 3 fantastic gem rings, instead of more 3 that are not as fantastic?

I like the 3 fantastic rings idea…and, then maybe some more fun/didn't completely break the bank pieces too ;-)

In all seriousness though, I do tend to like to have a few really nice things than many things I feel so-so about, e.g., one nice purse, one nice pair of boots, etc., something my mother hard-wired in me, but in practice I typically have a 'go to' either way, so it works out for the best.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your first sentence could have written by me. I hear you!

I'd rather have one awesome piece vs. 5 "meh" pieces. But my goal is to have several awesome pieces. :naughty:

SouthernSunset

Rough_Rock
2 or 3 WOW rings. Pieces that practically command an audience and make me want to giggle or lose my breathe when I look down at them.

If I had that, I'd be content for a while. I don't think I could ever limit it to just one though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to have about 3-5 really outstanding rings rather than 10 or 20 that are just nice/average. It would be very hard for me to only have one, but if I did, it would be a spectacular blue sapphire!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends.

I've done a major unloading of my collection to get one amazing piece that I was enamored with, but it was sold out from under me.

So, maybe one day I'll have one really beautiful piece that I can save up from scratch for without having to sell other items that I love.

I'd say that it depends on who is doing the judging. I think I have a pretty good collection of beautiful items, but there are always better stones and more well made jewelry items out there.

So I'll strive for having several really beautiful items. I may have to "upgrade" a few times to get to where I want to be, but that's ok.

I'm afraid that I'd get bored with having one outstanding item.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few pieces I change out.

ngl, while I've never understood the thrill of novelty in the romantic sphere, I am ALL about novelty in the clothing and jewelry sphere.

Kelli|1391567428|3608087 said:
Plus the stuff I paid most for isn't always the stuff my eyes go to first.

And this.

I mean, there's my engagement ring, which aside from being a stunner is highly sentimental, but then my next most-worn thing is probably my 4mm tsavorite studs, which were a tiny fraction of the price. I mean... you don't actually have to spend a lot to get a beautiful and enjoyable piece. BUT of course if what you really want is, say, a 2 carat untreated, not hazy, bright red ruby, or a setting with like a whole bunch of french cut sidestones, save yo' pennies! Don't spend them on smaller things!

WITH THAT SAID. I am currently mostly on a bling-buying hiatus because I am trying to save up so I can get, idk, either a french-cut eternity band or a honking big sapphire or a diamond ring (not honking big though). But also, I figure, I've got the rest of my life, my collection doesn't have to be complete TODAY, if I want to save up for my bigger things I can, if I want to save up more slowly and buy some smaller things along the way, I can do that too. There are options. Lots of options.

My main goal is that when I die, my children should open my closet to find some sort of effing dragon's hoard in there. I've got time.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically this

fwfwfw.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1391589464|3608247 said:
Basically this

fwfwfw.jpg
Excellent. The way it should be IMHO.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how much money is involved and how many pieces we are talking about. I will never be able to afford a super rare gem so my preference is 3 or so fabulous pieces over 10 average pieces of jewellery.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Good question. I scratched a bunch of itches a few years back and now have covered the few (many?) that are pretty/fun/enjoyable. Actually, some of them were pretty/fun/enjoyable but aren't seeing much light of day lately. Which has me thinking that I am ready to get my one (like Preg's number better) super rare and gorgeous stone. I am not at all sure what I would do with it if I got it though as I just don't seem to be wearing rings/jewelry like I used to.

Distracts: I like the way you think! ;))

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have a problem with spending so much on jewelry. So, even if I save for it, when the savings gets to a large amount, I chicken out and think of other things to do with the money. Lately, I have made offers on some diamonds(good offers) and haven't been the buyer.
I am usually so relieved that I did not get it. Its so stupid.

I want a few good pieces, and I do have some of those now expensive tsavorite garnets, but would trade others that I have. I just seem to not be able to fork out the bucks.

Annette

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I love all of the replies!
I am all for a few EXCELLENT pieces - it's just not in my (near) future so I need to unload in order to make room for something special.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1391627291|3608515 said:
Hi,

I have a problem with spending so much on jewelry. So, even if I save for it, when the savings gets to a large amount, I chicken out and think of other things to do with the money. Lately, I have made offers on some diamonds(good offers) and haven't been the buyer.
I am usually so relieved that I did not get it. Its so stupid.

I want a few good pieces, and I do have some of those now expensive tsavorite garnets, but would trade others that I have. I just seem to not be able to fork out the bucks.

Annette

Annette: I believe you and I are the same person. I think we need to practice spending more.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
This is a good thread. I am still in a phase of having many fun pieces. But, I am definitely starting to have a couple essential pieces forming in the back of my mind. Basically a blue-green tourm, a yellow diamond, and an emerald.

I couldn't do just one piece tho :)

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
You wouldn't believe how much money I have spent on gemstones and jewelry since I found PS! My OCD went way out of control and I bought everything I wanted and even gave a bunch of gemstones away as gifts to a special friend.

Finally, I woke up and realized that my medical bills were more important and now I'm selling off just about everything I don't need. There are a few VERY special gemstones that I'm keeping and I just got a new watch...there are a couple of things that I'm saving up for, but that is it...no more spur of the moment purchases for me. Only one or two extra special pieces are in my future.

I'll be excited to see what everyone else posts.

Lori

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer to have a few easier to wear pieces that do not require me to wear a ball gown in order to look right with them on my hand(s).

DK :))

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1391691828|3609165 said:
I prefer to have a few easier to wear pieces that do not require me to wear a ball gown in order to look right with them on my hand(s).

DEFINITELY THIS for my lifestyle, but I like having LOTS of options. Also, :appl: for distracts! I often say that I want to be an old lady with an incredible jewelry box to play in. I don't mean it has to be museum worthy stuff, I just want to be able to open it and have my eyes glaze over from the colors and sparkles. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but so far I'm really happy with all the goodies I've gotten.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli|1391692787|3609174 said:
dk168|1391691828|3609165 said:

DEFINITELY THIS for my lifestyle, but I like having LOTS of options. Also, :appl: for distracts! I often say that I want to be an old lady with an incredible jewelry box to play in. I don't mean it has to be museum worthy stuff, I just want to be able to open it and have my eyes glaze over from the colors and sparkles. I don't have a ton of money to spend, but so far I'm really happy with all the goodies I've gotten.

Oh, I agree with the piece being wearable. My whole issue is that I put pieces away that I am not totally in love with. I want to fall in love with something, and I want it to be special. I truly think that my problem is that I am jaded by the beautiful things I have been exposed to and my expectations of "falling in love" are most likely unrealistic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results