shape
carat
color
clarity

RIP Phillip Seymour Hoffman

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
one of the great actors of present day stage and film: RIP and thank you for the great performances.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the pleasure of seeing him on Broadway. He is a true talent and will be sorely missed.

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, that's very sad.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Damn. So young, and three little kids. Heroin is a difficult drug to manage, let alone beat. :blackeye:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He graciously signed my Playbill for the 2003 Broadway production of A Long Day's Journey into Night, in which he starred with Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Dennehy & Robert Sean Leonard. I never had previously asked for autographs, and haven't done it since, but that was such an extraordinary theatre evening; I feel so privileged to have been in the audience.

What tragic heartache for his family and friends.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Sad to read about it--especially the details; but it won't diminish the fact I enjoyed (almost) all of his performances.

cheers--Sharon

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What! he was so young. What happened?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
JaneSmith|1391378525|3606631 said:
Damn. So young, and three little kids. Heroin is a difficult drug to manage, let alone beat. :blackeye:

Wow. Okay that really is a shock. RIP.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hoped when I heard the news that it would be a natural cause kind of thing, like he'd done damage from his past and just was unhealthy. I am really sad that he was back on it again, and that we lost another one to this ridiculousness!

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
He was a brilliant actor. Addiction is a bitch, believe me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lord, I had no idea! This is a total shock to me. A great actor; really too bad.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
That man was gifted.

What a damn shame! :blackeye:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad! So young. Although he has been amazing in so many roles, I just loved the goofy character he played in Twister all the those years ago. Bye PSH. You will be missed...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
R.I.P. to a talented actor.

DK :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was sad to read of this news. He was a talented actor and I enjoyed many of his performances. It is so sad when someone dies because of an addiction because it was a death that could have been prevented if only he had enough desire within himself to make the change and a strong enough support system to help him get through it. :(sad

SB621

Ideal_Rock
This is sad for so many reasons. His recent roles in popular movies geared towards YA like the Hunger Games has made him so popular with a whole new audiance who had previously probably not known much about him. Addiction :nono:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
So sad to hear this. My husband passed him in the street in London a few months ago, I remember him telling me that he looked very sad. I had no idea about his addiction. What a senseless loss. RIP.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it was a death that could have been prevented if only he had enough desire within himself to make the change and a strong enough support system to help him get through it.
None of us has reason to think Philip Seymour Hoffman did not have "a strong enough support system."

It's sadly commonplace for substance abusers-addicts to repudiate -- repeatedly -- concerned outreach, support, and available resources. So we shouldn't assume that family and friends were indifferent, cowardly, or otherwise not "there" for the deceased prior to her/his death.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no one here knows what inner demons he might be facing that he decided to self-medicated against and then became an addict.
it is easy to sit in judgment....
while he appeared confident and professional only he knows what was going on within.
he was a human being.
with human flaws.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad...the death itself of course...but to find out that he wasn't happy... :(sad

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1391433315|3606895 said:
I was sad to read of this news. He was a talented actor and I enjoyed many of his performances. It is so sad when someone dies because of an addiction because it was a death that could have been prevented if only he had enough desire within himself to make the change and a strong enough support system to help him get through it. :(sad

This is a person who had been in recovery from his addiction for TWENTY THREE years. He relapsed last spring and put himself in a 10 day detox. Addiction (especially to heroin from everything I've read and from personally witnessing people in the throes of the addiction) is stronger than just "the desire within."

For him to have stayed in recovery for so long, and the fact that he spent his life surrounded by temptations, is amazing to me and says a lot about how strong his inner desire to recover from his addiction was.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1391451806|3607055 said:

This is a person who had been in recovery from his addiction for TWENTY THREE years. He relapsed last spring and put himself in a 10 day detox. Addiction (especially to heroin from everything I've read and from personally witnessing people in the throes of the addiction) is stronger than just "the desire within."

For him to have stayed in recovery for so long, and the fact that he spent his life surrounded by temptations, is amazing to me and says a lot about how strong his inner desire to recover from his addiction was.

It is incredibly sad that it just wasn't enough. A tortured genius like so many others before him.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I feel bad for the family he's left behind - especially his three, young kids:(

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

If only this was true. I am a clinical therapist who specializes in substance abuse counseling. Addicts do not want to be addicts. I have never met a single addict who planned on addiction or enjoy hurting their families. It was nothing to do with lack of desire or willpower. Drinking/drugging is a symptom of a much larger disease. A disease that needs treatment. Most times there are underlying mental illness. In this case, depression. Have you ever tried to control someone else's behavior? Families are not at fault. They cannot control or cure the disease. They did not cause it. Statements like this make me sad because it proves the unfair stigma and judgement towards addicts and their families is still there. I mourn for everyone who dies at the hand of their addiction. It is tragic. It ruins lives (addict and family).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1391629289|3608543 said:

If only this was true. I am a clinical therapist who specializes in substance abuse counseling. Addicts do not want to be addicts. I have never met a single addict who planned on addiction or enjoy hurting their families. It was nothing to do with lack of desire or willpower. Drinking/drugging is a symptom of a much larger disease. A disease that needs treatment. Most times there are underlying mental illness. In this case, depression. Have you ever tried to control someone else's behavior? Families are not at fault. They cannot control or cure the disease. They did not cause it. Statements like this make me sad because it proves the unfair stigma and judgement towards addicts and their families is still there. I mourn for everyone who dies at the hand of their addiction. It is tragic. It ruins lives (addict and family).

I agree that addicts don't want to be addicts and that it ruins lives. My close friend's son is an addict and has been in and out of treatments since his early twenties so over 10 years now. My friend (his mom) is actually a psychiatrist and she feels powerless. He has put them through hell over the years and it continues to be heartbreaking. He is under a mental health professional's care but still he relapses. It goes in cycles with him. He stops doing drugs and is clean but then he relapses. My heart breaks for her and her dh and for him. Even with all her knowledge and love there seems to be no answer.

I am not blaming anyone but just saying how sad it is that Hoffman couldn't beat the disease whether it was from depression or another root cause. That's what I was trying to say anyway. It's a lose lose crappy situation any way you look at it.

I guess I wonder then if his death in any way could have been prevented or basically was it inevitable? Is there no treatment that works for some unlucky people?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"Before The Devil Knows That You're Dead" in 2007 was one of his best performances, I thought.
He was drug addicted in this role. Played it very well indeed.
Also involved a jewelry store owned by his parents involved in a botched robbery.

R.I.P.

James Gandolfini and Phillip Seymour Hoffman- two of my favorites gone way before their time.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1391630747|3608570 said:

I agree that addicts don't want to be addicts and that it ruins lives. My close friend's son is an addict and has been in and out of treatments since his early twenties so over 10 years now. My friend (his mom) is actually a psychiatrist and she feels powerless. He has put them through hell over the years and it continues to be heartbreaking. He is under a mental health professional's care but still he relapses. It goes in cycles with him. He stops doing drugs and is clean but then he relapses. My heart breaks for her and her dh and for him. Even with all her knowledge and love there seems to be no answer.

I am not blaming anyone but just saying how sad it is that Hoffman couldn't beat the disease whether it was from depression or another root cause. That's what I was trying to say anyway. It's a lose lose crappy situation any way you look at it.

I guess I wonder then if his death in any way could have been prevented or basically was it inevitable? Is there no treatment that works for some unlucky people?

I am a bit confused by your comments. There seems to be a disconnect. Proof that even someone with a rock solid support system and therapy can still struggle with addiction. Some people find sobriety. Some people don't. Personally, I always have hope until they pass. Change is possible and people can improve their lives. Mental illness, substance abuse, anxiety, stress, toxic relationships, etc...every person has the opportunity to help themselves find happiness and peace. Over 400 people die daily from drugs and alcohol. It is always tragic. Unfortunately relapse can be part of the disease. That said I have met MANY "one chip wonders." People who found recovery and never relapsed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tacori E-ring|1391658180|3608981 said:

I am a bit confused by your comments. There seems to be a disconnect. Proof that even someone with a rock solid support system and therapy can still struggle with addiction. Some people find sobriety. Some people don't. Personally, I always have hope until they pass. Change is possible and people can improve their lives. Mental illness, substance abuse, anxiety, stress, toxic relationships, etc...every person has the opportunity to help themselves find happiness and peace. Over 400 people die daily from drugs and alcohol. It is always tragic. Unfortunately relapse can be part of the disease. That said I have met MANY "one chip wonders." People who found recovery and never relapsed.

No disconnect but just not explaining myself well enough.This is exactly what I meant when I wrote if only he had a strong enough desire and support system (whether that be emotionally or actual loved ones being there if he needed them to get through the tough/rough spots) to help him through this...that if only he had it within him to find the happiness and peace he needed to beat the addiction he could have been OK. If only he could have helped himself to beat the disease. If only he had what he needed to do so... whatever that could have been.

Whether or not our POV's align I know we both agree that addiction is a tragedy and continues to be a tragedy for a ridiculous number of people and their loved ones. I hope in your career you find the way to help as many people as you can and that you continue to get great satisfaction from doing so.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1391682729|3609123 said:
Tacori E-ring|1391658180|3608981 said:

No disconnect but just not explaining myself well enough.This is exactly what I meant when I wrote if only he had a strong enough desire and support system (whether that be emotionally or actual loved ones being there if he needed them to get through the tough/rough spots) to help him through this...that if only he had it within him to find the happiness and peace he needed to beat the addiction he could have been OK. If only he could have helped himself to beat the disease. If only he had what he needed to do so... whatever that could have been.

Whether or not our POV's align I know we both agree that addiction is a tragedy and continues to be a tragedy for a ridiculous number of people and their loved ones. I hope in your career you find the way to help as many people as you can and that you continue to get great satisfaction from doing so.

Unfortunately, it's not as simple as your bolded part. Addiction is a disease. Do you say the same things to your friends who die from cancer, heart disease, AIDs, or any other disease etc...? That if they found enough happiness inside they would be cured.

I also think you are doing a disservice to PSH and any addict that dies from their disease. He wasn't strong enough....how do you know how strong he was? Given that you have seen your friend go through this and how "strong" of a support system she provides to her son who continues to relapse, it's clear that there isn't a support system strong enough that can combat this disease.

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/understanding-drug-abuse-addiction

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results