carat
color
clarity

Death sentence for Boston bomber.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kelinas|1391129036|3604595 said:
I think he deserves 1000 times worse.
Death, in a way, is the easier way out, but I am all for it.
The alternative (option) in my head will make many of you hate me as it surprises even me on how sadistic I would be.
Lethal injection is far too humane.

nkarma

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1391177370|3604910 said:
diamondseeker2006|1391147710|3604803 said:
I certainly believe the sentence is just in this case. There is no question about his involvement in the crime. Just because the system doesn't always work as it should does not mean we just ignore all the crimes where things are done correctly and there is zero doubt that the right person is being held accountable.

Exactly. Sure the justice system is far from perfect -and what country's system is perfect-just look at Italy. Talk about imperfect and corrupt. BUT, in this case it is clear who the perpetrator(s) is and the heinous crime that was committed. There is no other just sentence IMO.

Think of the families that are affected and suffering. Missing their loved ones who were taken too soon. Lives snuffed out without realizing their full potential. Children that will never be born now. Heartbreaking and final. This man and his brother gave no thought or care to the innocent lives they were taking forever gone. He has nothing to offer to society and in fact is a danger to society.
Who cares if it is more $$$$ for the death penalty (which it is because of the appeal process etc). Doesn't matter because in this case the heinousness of the crime far outweighs any moral objection I might have to the death penalty. When used judiciously it is the right decision IMO. Of course there are many times I do not support the death penalty but this case is not one of them.

The exact same thing could be said for someone wrongly sentenced to death and the suffering their family faces.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nkarma|1391178681|3604928 said:
I certainly believe the sentence is just in this case. There is no question about his involvement in the crime. Just because the system doesn't always work as it should does not mean we just ignore all the crimes where things are done correctly and there is zero doubt that the right person is being held accountable.

Exactly. Sure the justice system is far from perfect -and what country's system is perfect-just look at Italy. Talk about imperfect and corrupt. BUT, in this case it is clear who the perpetrator(s) is and the heinous crime that was committed. There is no other just sentence IMO.

Think of the families that are affected and suffering. Missing their loved ones who were taken too soon. Lives snuffed out without realizing their full potential. Children that will never be born now. Heartbreaking and final. This man and his brother gave no thought or care to the innocent lives they were taking forever gone. He has nothing to offer to society and in fact is a danger to society.
Who cares if it is more $$$$ for the death penalty (which it is because of the appeal process etc). Doesn't matter because in this case the heinousness of the crime far outweighs any moral objection I might have to the death penalty. When used judiciously it is the right decision IMO. Of course there are many times I do not support the death penalty but this case is not one of them.

The exact same thing could be said for someone wrongly sentenced to death and the suffering their family faces.

I knew someone was going to write this. He is not being wrongly sentenced to death (if he is sentenced to death that is). He fully deserves these consequences and I would even go so far as to say that perhaps some of his family members feel the same way. He is a monster.

Actions have consequences. Period. We learn this from a young age and if one has a conscience one grasps the enormity of one's terrible actions and perhaps rethinks before taking an action so final as killing etc. It is when one ignores one's conscience (or has none) and just doesn't care about one's actions that it becomes unforgivable.

There is no reprieve for those murdered by his terrorist actions nor relief for their families. He fully deserves the death sentence and I would argue that this is the exact reason the death sentence exists.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
krisjon|1391158224|3604840 said:
Terrorists have no mercy on innocent people, why should society have any on them?

because we are better than them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1391187518|3605087 said:
Terrorists have no mercy on innocent people, why should society have any on them?

MZ, I will agree with you on that point. We are better than the terrorists. That has little to do with the discussion however IMO. It is about doing the right thing. The greater good for society. Destroy evil and let good flourish. Perhaps that sounds harsh to some of you but what if g-d forbid one of your loved ones were murdered in some terrible and senseless way? I ask how would you feel? The way you might feel is academic only unless you are in that situation which of course I hope is never the case for anyone here.

I repeat he is a monster and has terminated his right for the pursuit of life, happiness and all that jazz. IMO.
Actions must have real and comparable consequences or civilization is lost as we know it.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1391188096|3605095 said:

MZ, I will agree with you on that point. We are better than the terrorists. That has little to do with the discussion however IMO. It is about doing the right thing. The greater good for society. Destroy evil and let good flourish. Perhaps that sounds harsh to some of you but what if g-d forbid one of your loved ones were murdered in some terrible and senseless way? I ask how would you feel? The way you might feel is academic only unless you are in that situation which of course I hope is never the case for anyone here.

I repeat he is a monster and has terminated his right for the pursuit of life, happiness and all that jazz. IMO.
Actions must have real and comparable consequences or civilization is lost as we know it.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Without severe consequences bad behavior tends to thrive. I also would mention that some who are against severe consequences in this situation would go wild with revenge in some domestic situations. If we truly are better than them we would always turn the other cheek. Society must have rules for order to prevail and punishment is the best deterrent for crime. Far too many know that money is short for incarceration and we do not like to pass severe judgment and they take advantage of that. Just my take and I respect others right to theirs.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's not about being "better" than them. He is a danger and a menace to society. Jail is not a harsh enough punishment.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
crown1|1391190722|3605135 said:

I agree with a lot of what you have said. Without severe consequences bad behavior tends to thrive. I also would mention that some who are against severe consequences in this situation would go wild with revenge in some domestic situations. If we truly are better than them we would always turn the other cheek. Society must have rules for order to prevail and punishment is the best deterrent for crime. Far too many know that money is short for incarceration and we do not like to pass severe judgment and they take advantage of that. Just my take and I respect others right to theirs.

Capital punishment must not be a successful deterrent - societies that practice it seem to still have the highest violent crime rates.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I think death sentence is proper in this case. What a waste of resources he is.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
justginger|1391195134|3605210 said:
crown1|1391190722|3605135 said:

Capital punishment must not be a successful deterrent - societies that practice it seem to still have the highest violent crime rates.

I will not challenge that statement as I do not have those figures in my head. I do know that sometimes we have to do things that are not what we would like to do for the betterment of the majority. I do not wish to be the one to condemn someone to death, but given the compelling evidence of someone committing a mass destruction scenario such as this, I would have to do what I had to, to protect society. Fortunately that has not come to me but I was very close. In the jury box. The defendant coped a plea and took ten years for murder. I would wonder what kind of crime statistics we would have if there were no punishments and the toughest ruled. I do not want to find out. I am of the firm opinion that if criminals faced stiff punishment there would be less crime. But that is my take and I respect your right to yours.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1391177702|3604916 said:
Kelinas|1391129036|3604595 said:
I think he deserves 1000 times worse.
Death, in a way, is the easier way out, but I am all for it.
The alternative (option) in my head will make many of you hate me as it surprises even me on how sadistic I would be.
Lethal injection is far too humane.
Yup, bring back the guillotine.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1391179725|3604946 said:
nkarma|1391178681|3604928 said:

I knew someone was going to write this. He is not being wrongly sentenced to death (if he is sentenced to death that is). He fully deserves these consequences and I would even go so far as to say that perhaps some of his family members feel the same way. He is a monster.

Actions have consequences. Period. We learn this from a young age and if one has a conscience one grasps the enormity of one's terrible actions and perhaps rethinks before taking an action so final as killing etc. It is when one ignores one's conscience (or has none) and just doesn't care about one's actions that it becomes unforgivable.

There is no reprieve for those murdered by his terrorist actions nor relief for their families. He fully deserves the death sentence and I would argue that this is the exact reason the death sentence exists.

I agree with Missy and just wanted to add...I agree with you nkarma that we should be VERY careful about applying the death penalty when the evidence is not 100% certain that the person committed the crime. I wouldn't support it in that case. These guys were filmed on tape at the scene and there is not one single iota of doubt that they killed and scarred multiple people for life. People lost limbs and will have to live with that forever. And people lost loved ones forever. If ever there was just cause for the death penalty, this is it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Exactly.

I don't know that there is any person here who is questioning whether or not he did it. I'm pretty sure that there is overwhelming evidence that he did, in fact, do the crime by which he has been charged.

But, in the event that he is not sentenced to the death penalty, he would be stuck in solitary confinement, and he would barely see the light of day for the entirety of his life. He's young, so that's a lot of years.

I think worse punishment is making them live with it, especially in solitary, where they have minimal contact with human beings ever again. For those people, there is no such thing as "returning to society" or "pursuit of life, liberty and happiness". There are four walls. Meals brought to you and slid through a slit in the wall. Allowed out in a yard by yourself for an hour a day. As humans, we are built as social creatures. Solitary confinement does terrible terrible things to a person's mental health, even if they are already a psychopath.

Death, to me, is the easy way out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1391244529|3605650 said:
Exactly.

I don't know that there is any person here who is questioning whether or not he did it. I'm pretty sure that there is overwhelming evidence that he did, in fact, do the crime by which he has been charged.

But, in the event that he is not sentenced to the death penalty, he would be stuck in solitary confinement, and he would barely see the light of day for the entirety of his life. He's young, so that's a lot of years.

I think worse punishment is making them live with it, especially in solitary, where they have minimal contact with human beings ever again. For those people, there is no such thing as "returning to society" or "pursuit of life, liberty and happiness". There are four walls. Meals brought to you and slid through a slit in the wall. Allowed out in a yard by yourself for an hour a day. As humans, we are built as social creatures. Solitary confinement does terrible terrible things to a person's mental health, even if they are already a psychopath.

Death, to me, is the easy way out.

Yes, perhaps death is the easier way out. But I will pose this question to all those against the death penalty in this case. We are better than them so isn't it crueler to torture him by keeping him alive in solitary for the rest of his days vs just putting him out of his misery? It is for that reason (and many others) that he should be sentenced to death. Instead of keeping him alive in solitary.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not the one choosing the fate of someone, so I'm just speaking as the devil's advocate, btw. I can see both sides to this coin. :read:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I went to college in Boston and enjoyed many a Marathon Monday. I have ties to the University that he attended. My step-father has run the Boston Marathon several times, but didn't this year. This is all far too close to home for me to be unbiased. That being said, I have no problem with the Justice Department's decision on this. This person is a waste of oxygen.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. Interesting.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Since there is absolutely NO DOUBT OF HIS GUILT. I'm pissed that we even have to have a trial for the SOB. I know it is the American way, but seriously? Where the hell is Jack Ruby when you need him?????

His mommy said her boys were set up by big bad America. :wacko:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1391290270|3605927 said:
I went to college in Boston and enjoyed many a Marathon Monday. I have ties to the University that he attended. My step-father has run the Boston Marathon several times, but didn't this year. This is all far too close to home for me to be unbiased. That being said, I have no problem with the Justice Department's decision on this. This person is a waste of oxygen.

I grew up and went to college near Boston. My husband graduated from the college Tsarnaev attended. My niece went to college with the MIT officer that was killed. They were in the same circle of friends and she attended his funeral. Like most, I am deeply saddened by this senseless shameful act and feel visceral anger toward Tsarnaev.

But - it won't give me any sense of relief or justice if he is eventually executed. While I wouldn't join a picket line to get him off of death row, I'd feel better knowing he is rotting in jail for the rest of his life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results